AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"

Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
« on: May 19, 2026, 03:16:07 PM »
My wife loves a good movie. She just knows what she likes and dislikes but has no clue about what goes into an amazing home theater, other than the money I spend for the next amazing component. She is always asking me, "Will I see or hear a difference?" 

I see and hear the difference. But rarely has she. The only time she has truly looked at me and said she noticed a difference and it was impressive was when I added Kaleidescape. She is a huge "Wizard of Oz" fan. And the first movie we watched on it was "Wicked for Good" 

She sat and watched that movie begining to end and never said a word. I watched her and listened to sounds that I had never heard. When it was over she looked up and me and said "Wow, I've never heard anything like that down here ever. Incredible" I finally passed "The Wife Test." 

Have any of you had a similar experience and if so, what was the thing that made the difference?

SRW1000

  • *****
  • 1569
    • Watch Youthman's tour of my home theater
Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2026, 05:25:44 PM »
I'm fortunate that my wife loves movies as much as I do and will take notice of how things look and sound.  We're often turning to each other saying that something looks fantastic or sounds amazing.  It would be hard to get full buy-in for a theater without that same appreciation.

On the flip side, she has zero interest in any of the electronics or other equipment involved.  She won't even turn the system on!  
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

AVSLaurie

  • AVS Leader of the pack
  • *****
  • 435
  • Learning something new always makes for a good day
    • AV Science, Inc.
Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2026, 08:11:22 PM »
On the flip side, she has zero interest in any of the electronics or other equipment involved.  She won't even turn the system on! 
Dare l say that l may not even know how to turn the system on? It is so much easier to bellow “Marc!” ;D
Friday Flash Sale Promos are valid for one week, unless limited by product availability. Call us for more information at 877-823-4452 or visit us at
AV Science.com

Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2026, 10:07:47 PM »
It never fails that if I'm out of town or at a friends, I'll get a text asking "how do I....". In fact, just Saturday night I was playing poker with some friends and I get a text asking "How do I get to the streaming apps?" even though I've told her countless times how to do it. ;D
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Former writer for Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2026, 01:16:58 AM »
Dare l say that l may not even know how to turn the system on? It is so much easier to bellow “Marc!” ;D
LOL, that's my wife... I'm her voice activated remote! :P

She definitely isn't concerned with the gear, tolerates is more like it. But then I'll occasionally catch her in a brag about it in some conversation about what she told a coworker, which I find highly amusing.

bmoney

  • *****
  • 3221
Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2026, 06:07:36 AM »
Wife refuses to watch a movie in the theater. So there’s that 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSLaurie

  • AVS Leader of the pack
  • *****
  • 435
  • Learning something new always makes for a good day
    • AV Science, Inc.
Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2026, 07:57:25 AM »
Wife refuses to watch a movie in the theater. So there’s that
Get out of town! It is such a great experience. Maybe you aren't watching movies she might like? 
Friday Flash Sale Promos are valid for one week, unless limited by product availability. Call us for more information at 877-823-4452 or visit us at
AV Science.com

Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2026, 09:12:24 AM »
LOL, that's my wife... I'm her voice activated remote! :P

She definitely isn't concerned with the gear, tolerates is more like it. But then I'll occasionally catch her in a brag about it in some conversation about what she told a coworker, which I find highly amusing.
I wonder if there ever has been a "wife approved" remote control? The last one I had that she would operate was a URC MX-500. 

Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2026, 09:13:38 AM »
Wife refuses to watch a movie in the theater. So there’s that
That's a bummer. Who do you watch with? Friends, kids?

bmoney

  • *****
  • 3221
Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2026, 12:58:52 PM »
That's a bummer. Who do you watch with? Friends, kids?
98% of the time by myself.  the other 2% us with my kids
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

bmoney

  • *****
  • 3221
Re: Have you ever passed "The Wife Test?"
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2026, 12:59:13 PM »
Get out of town! It is such a great experience. Maybe you aren't watching movies she might like?
she says it makes her feel claustraphobic  its not the movies 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

  Go Up
 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal