AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Evolution of CRT

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
Re: Evolution of CRT
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 11:02:48 AM »
We used triple black velvet for our stage, but we used the black velvet used in telescopes for the ceiling area in front of the screen...literally a black hole for light absorption.
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2016, 02:03:41 PM »
Be carefull you dont get lost down there, even with the light on..
Yes it is already a hole but nothing like a black hole. The reflections on the ceiling is a huge distraction
Lord Voldermort 9518LC Mooded 200lbs of awsomnes

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 09:55:46 AM »
I used Joann Royal 3 fabric on my AT panels across the false wall and that stuff EATS light like nothing else.  It's also AT and neither Kurt or I noticed any clipping of high frequencies.  Once I get some eggcrate behind the screen and some diffusion panels on the side walls it will really take things up a notch.

BTW- most any flat dark fabric will absorb light better than any black paint.  One of the other reasons I'm excited about AT diffusion panels is that they will also eliminate any remaining side wall reflections.

bmoney

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 11:13:41 AM »
I used Joann Royal 3 fabric on my AT panels across the false wall and that stuff EATS light like nothing else.  It's also AT and neither Kurt or I noticed any clipping of high frequencies.  Once I get some eggcrate behind the screen and some diffusion panels on the side walls it will really take things up a notch.

BTW- most any flat dark fabric will absorb light better than any black paint.  One of the other reasons I'm excited about AT diffusion panels is that they will also eliminate any remaining side wall reflections.

really? I always thought the joanns velvet wasnt AT.  In fact I stopped using my masking panels for 1.85 movies as the masks block the L and R behind the screen :/...hmmm
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

NBPk402

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 12:01:37 PM »

I used it for my frame around my screen, and also on my soffit bass traps, but I was told it was AT for bass frequencys. Have you tried the breath test on it too?
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

bmoney

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 12:55:13 PM »
I used it for my frame around my screen, and also on my soffit bass traps, but I was told it was AT for bass frequencys. Have you tried the breath test on it too?

the breath test is where I found it to be NOT AT

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

NBPk402

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 01:12:17 PM »
That is what I had thought too. I will have to see if I have a piece large enough to test on one of my surround channels.

bmoney

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2016, 01:52:39 PM »
That is what I had thought too. I will have to see if I have a piece large enough to test on one of my surround channels.

great idea..I think i have some lying around as well

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2016, 02:25:00 PM »
The hole room treatment is kind of important with CRT to give the ansi contrast all the help it can get, but when displaying a digital in a totaly black room it puts extra focus on the missing ability to go all black, i hope it will soon be my turn to do the room treatment in a new HT.

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2016, 03:39:33 PM »
To get a bit more into the topic, evolution of CRT ill show a pic of a few of the DACs/ converters i been testing, and modding in combination with different boards in the projector, just to get to where i am today.
These are all Moome converters, that slide into the projector, most dual HDMI input. ( now who would not wish they had a replacable HDMI board in the digital projector..) Most of them for Marquee, and i build a adaptor to thest the SONY cards in the Marquee as well.

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2016, 04:25:26 PM »
Joann's sells multiple velvets.  The royalty 3 is comprised of nearly 70% acetate which makes it more breathable than other variants.  Just as a precaution I used a needle to further perforate the fabric around the drivers and removed the plastic speaker grille covers.

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2016, 04:27:54 PM »
To get a bit more into the topic, evolution of CRT ill show a pic of a few of the DACs/ converters i been testing, and modding in combination with different boards in the projector, just to get to where i am today.
These are all Moome converters, that slide into the projector, most dual HDMI input. ( now who would not wish they had a replacable HDMI board in the digital projector..) Most of them for Marquee, and i build a adaptor to thest the SONY cards in the Marquee as well.

Do you feel you've solved that piece of the puzzle or are there further benefits to be gained?  Those cards are finicky to say the least and improving their long term reliability would be ideal.  Would be nice if Moome would just build something rated to pass 200mhz;-)

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2016, 07:10:14 PM »
Do you feel you've solved that piece of the puzzle or are there further benefits to be gained?  Those cards are finicky to say the least and improving their long term reliability would be ideal.  Would be nice if Moome would just build something rated to pass 200mhz;-)

I setteled on a Moome mod i like the best, its pretty close to what you got, think there is 3 resistor on yours i would want to remove, not sure how much of a difference it will make other than gain. The DAC is running into a 38 ohm load normaly, and if im right yours is loadet a bit lower, maybe 30ohm, its to do with the termination on the vim and on the moome.

I doubt there will be a higher bandwidth Moome card as i doubt there is much sales left anymore, there was talk about a new HDMI 2.0 card, but so far there has been no confirmation of that, and i dont know if there is any dacs capable of 200Mhz + pixel clock.
Last i looked Moomes home page was no longer active.

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2016, 12:45:26 PM »
I have appreciation for CRT as I first got into home theater in late 1999.  In early 2000 (Jan if I recall), my Dad bought a 61" Sony RPTV (4:3, 480i) and that's when it all started for me. 

I ended up buying a 57" Sony HD CRT RPTV (16:9, 1080i) in 2004 as it was the last model they made as they were being phased out, but I still remember those great blacks and analog looking image.

I've never seen a CRT front projector, but glad I don't have to deal with that as ceiling mounting those beasts must have been crazy and not sure it could even be support in my current theater room where my JVC ceiling mounts from inside of my closet.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 12:47:31 PM by DavidHir »

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 01:55:40 AM »
I have appreciation for CRT as I first got into home theater in late 1999.  In early 2000 (Jan if I recall), my Dad bought a 61" Sony RPTV (4:3, 480i) and that's when it all started for me. 

I ended up buying a 57" Sony HD CRT RPTV (16:9, 1080i) in 2004 as it was the last model they made as they were being phased out, but I still remember those great blacks and analog looking image.

I've never seen a CRT front projector, but glad I don't have to deal with that as ceiling mounting those beasts must have been crazy and not sure it could even be support in my current theater room where my JVC ceiling mounts from inside of my closet.

It sure is not for everybody, you need to want it, and be pretty hardcore to go true with it..  Some years i got a taste of it, and was sold right away, but i sure hope that there some day will be a new digital projector that have some of the CRT qualities..

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal