AVS Discussions
  Go Down

PS Audio's STL-M700-US-B Mono Amplifier

PS Audio's STL-M700-US-B Mono Amplifier
« on: April 29, 2017, 02:17:12 PM »
...well...after having a Sunfire Theater Grand Amplifier which puts out 400watts in 8ohm speakers and doubles to 800watts in 4ohm speakers for many years...I decided that it was time for a change...the problem is that I have Magnepan 3.8 speakers (l/r) and their new center speaker, all of which demand power and I have not been satisfied lately with the Sunfire sound quality which has become "raspy" (I've had it for many, many years)...I don't believe that it is the speakers nor the Audioquest cables that I'm using...so, I took a chance on an unknown to purchase six of PS Audio's mono amplifiers which put out 350watts (l believe) in 8ohm speakrs and doubles to 700watts in 4 ohm speakers (which the Magnepans are).  (The amps are so new that the only reviews have been from beta testers at their web site.)

PS Audio has been around for quite a while and I have been receiving their email flyers over the years.  These amps are newly formulated and built from the ground up.  The aim was to produce a product that most audio addicts could afford (they each cost $1495) and produce the finest quality of detailed sound reproduction.  And, because I have the Sunfire, they accepted it as a trade in and actually gave me credit for the same cost that I bought it used, via audiogon.com, all those years ago.

I know I'm taking a chance here but I believe that the Sunfire has run its course and needs a rest...so...in about two weeks I should have the new amps...they are very low in height, each about 3 1/2 inches tall, so putting two of them on the three shelves of my modular stands works out very nicely.  I had to purchase trigger wires so that, when I put on my Anthem Statement D2v3D processor, it will also trigger the six amps on.

I feel excited about this even though I don't know what I'm actually getting in to!  They are liberal in that they have a 30 day return policy...so that I can keep the Sunfire for a little while giving me time to break in the new amps and see
if what I'm hoping to hear from them is finite detail in the softest and loudest passages of , say, a symphony played on
my new OPPO 205 audiophile player.

...so...that's my story...hope it works out!...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 03:51:51 PM by ed weinman »

Re: PS Audio's STL-M700-US-B Mono Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 01:57:31 PM »
Well, after living and listening to the 700's, all I can say is "WOW!" They are not 350 watts/700 watts but, rather 400/800 watts per channel and after a long break in time the sound quality bringing out the minutest detail in a large symphony orchestra recording or a modern film is really something to hear.  They have awoken my Magnepan speakers to such an extent that they sound like a different animal...detail...detail...detail. (Magnepan's demand power!).

If you are looking into new amps, I'd highly recommend the PS Audio 700's...they even offer a return period policy if you are dissatisfied.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal