AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Banned at AVSForum

AVSMike

Re: Banned at AVSForum
« Reply #510 on: March 06, 2018, 02:58:57 PM »
There was a lot of inconsistency in the optical coating so quality control was difficult for Da-lite. The was mostly when they switched to the 2.4 gain material. I went through 3 screens myself before I got a sample I was happy with. I think the attrition rate was so high that Da-Lite couldn't make a lot of money from them anymore and stopped selling it. I think there was an issue with supply too from China.

I don't think it was because DaLite could not make a lot of money. I think they were losing money. I think I had at least one return on every one of them I sold. Some more than one return.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #511 on: March 09, 2018, 03:07:57 PM »
Unless you really really want/need a huge screen (12+ feet wide) I just don't see the appeal of a High Power screen or really any high gain (>1.3) material in 2018. With so many high brightness, high contrast projectors out there now at ridiculously low prices using a unity gain screen material, or any other non-intrusive screen, is the way to go. Image quality overall is so much better that way. I just can't see myself ever going back to a screen with texture, sheen, sparkles or any other inherent artifact.

How does the Ultra-weave V6 material look? Better than the Enlightor 4K material?
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #512 on: March 09, 2018, 03:26:35 PM »
Unless you really really want/need a huge screen (12+ feet wide) I just don't see the appeal of a High Power screen or really any high gain (>1.3) material in 2018. With so many high brightness, high contrast projectors out there now at ridiculously low prices using a unity gain screen material, or any other non-intrusive screen, is the way to go. Image quality overall is so much better that way. I just can't see myself ever going back to a screen with texture, sheen, sparkles or any other inherent artifact.

How does the Ultra-weave V6 material look? Better than the Enlightor 4K material?

You want a sample ? You get a Seymour NEO sample too, while you are at it !
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #513 on: March 09, 2018, 03:39:47 PM »
Yes please! Once I get a proper dedicated space I want to make the switch to acoustically transparent. That should be happening within the next 12-18 months. I'd even try and do a nice writeup on the screen I go with compared to my EluneVision Reference 4K material screen, ie a nice non-AT fabric to see how it compares visually.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #514 on: March 09, 2018, 04:07:38 PM »
I'm arranging sample to be sent !  :)
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSMike

« Reply #515 on: March 09, 2018, 09:49:54 PM »

On bright scenes, like snow or white clouds, I could see some shimmer with EN4K. I don't see that with V6. Also image is slightly sharper, due to the V6 being smoother.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #516 on: March 17, 2018, 08:55:47 PM »
Wouldn't the primary colors need to be filtered by a yellow notch filter? I don't see how that can happen with the yellow portion of the color wheel is fixed in position and never actually "filters" the primary colors. Brilliant color on most DLP units simply allows for color wheel segment overlap to occur. More mirror "on" time at the expense of color accuracy to boost brightness. Real brilliant color is rare. There have only been a handful of real RGB-RGBY color wheel DLP units released. Most of them were when Brilliant Color was first released and most were found in 1080p single chip DLP Sim2 units. When's the last time anyone had released a DLP unit with such a color wheel?

What is Ruined's explanation at how this would work?
I'm pretty sure that Ruined thought that BC with a yellow segment on the colorwheel and a yellow notch filter did similar things, but they are complete opposites. One lets more yellow light through and one lets less yellow light through.There are 2 kinds like you say. Colors other than RGB on the colorwheel, and turning the mirrors on during the spoke time.

It looks to me like the new laser 1528p+eShift (what some call 4K UHD) projectors have RGBY colorwheels and reports I've read are that they run at 2x.

Sometimes it is hard for me to tell if Ruined is mostly clueless, or if he is just trying to keep from having to admit that he was wrong.

He keeps repeating that BC gives you more light for HDR, but ignores the part where I point out that only some colors get brighter. Adding a yellow segment on a colorwheel and then tightening up the filters for R and G actually results in less light for R and G. It helps push the R and G on the triangle out further, but at the expense of luminance for them.

He seems to have completely ignored the part where I mentioned that HDR isn't just about making white and yellow brighter, HDR is supposed to have brighter R, G, and B also. That isn't to say that these BC techniques might not be worth it overall, but they come at a cost.

--Darin
The way BC can expand gamut, is you can put in a yellow segment that's more saturated than the result of the green and red.  Of course you end up with a quadrilateral shaped gamut instead of a triangle.

And of course yellow really isn't where gamut needs to be expanded.  Most of the new area that DCI P3 and Rec.2020 bring are in the green and cyan areas.

It seems the new laser "4K" DLPs are using RGBY wheels.  At least the Optoma is.  For some reason I thought the Acer was RGBRGB but now people are saying it's RGBY too.

He doen't have an explanation, it's just the typical, anything DLP does is better.  Or more accurately anything Optoma does is better.  Like how low contrast is better because it's more like the theater.

Funny, see I was still giving him the benefit of the doubt...  I was assuming he meant that the yellow segment could pull yellow out (more saturated), but you might be right, he might think that RGBY is the same as RGB+Yellow Notch.  Or, more likely, he doesn't have a clue and will just say anything that his favored DLP projector does is better.  It will be funny when the UHZ75 comes out next year with a 4x RGBRGB wheel and his story changes completely.

I think it's both, I think he's clueless, and will say anything to make DLP sound good/viable.  When you can tease out of him what he really thinks, his personal position seems to be that the only things that matter are Laser, Brightness, and Sharpness, and probably in that order.  He seems to really think his priorities are "right" and that everyone else should follow them, and he'll say anything to make those priorities seem best/right.......

I thought maybe it had something to do with the yellow phosphor wheel or something?  The way I recall seeing the dual wheel design was that it starts with the blue laser diodes, then that light goes through a yellow infused (?) phosphor wheel, which has an opening for the native blue laser light to pass through as well.  (In essence giving us blue and yellow).  Then that passes through the next color wheel that has the red and green segments, plus two clear segments, one for the native blue to pass through and one for the yellow that is created by the yellow infused portion on the first phosphor wheel.  Here is an image taken from the BenQ LK970's page, but I believe I saw something similar for the UHZ65 as well:

https://business-display.benq.com/content/bb/en-us/index/findproduct/projector/installation-projectors/lk970/_jcr_content/detailItem/feature/featureItem/textimagea_143840367_97507943/image.img.jpg/1510740990832.jpg
Banned at AVSForum

It sounds like that is how they're getting the deeper yellows (and blue) to give the same end result as using a yellow DCI-P3 filter.  This seems like a different technology than you guys are referencing.  It sounds like this is how they do it for laser DLPs as opposed to lamp based ones that have to use a yellow segmented color wheel.  I would have to investigate further to be sure though.

.....In "defense" of Dave, who seems to be the sole basis for Runt's whole treatise on BC, my guess is this:

The UHZ65 isn't terribly bright when calibrated correctly, both the UHD60 and UHD65 lost about 2/3 of their rated brightness when calibrated and were under 1000 Lumens.  That's OK for SDR, but not near enough for HDR.  So my guess is, Dave (who seems to calibrate mainly by eyerometer) found that the extra brightness with BC on was more beneficial for HDR than the negative of having the colors out of balance.
" calibrate mainly by eyerometer " - I like it. Although I think the correct term is " Eye - O - Meter " .  ::)

Thanks for your offer of "defense", but no thanks!  I have the appropriate tools and use them almost daily to great affect, thank you very much.  I just don't like to be a trained sheep or drone that can't think out of the box and experiment with new ideas, techniques, or other things.  I personally don't care if some engineer tells me what a certain compromised (which ALL standards are btw) standard should be.  I can use those as a baseline and churn those calibrations out all day everyday if that is what someone wants from me and tells me to do.  In my spare "fun time" I like to build on the spec and then experiment and come up with what I feel are in some ways great improvements and some eye candy.  If you have seen some of what I do personally (not what others have done taking my settings and trying it themselves!), then I think your tune would be changed, but as with everything, not everybody agrees on what looks good to them, so who knows. :)

Again, see my reply above about what appears to be a different color wheel tech than what you guys are thinking....I think.

All I remember is that the first UHZ65 I had here, when I tried to calibrate it (yes with a METER, not my eye-0-meter, haha!) after turning off all the "enhancement" crap, which I saw BC as, then the numbers just jumped all over and weren't stable at all.  I was so alarmed since nothing I did helped, that I contacted Optoma and the product manager then told me that BC must be set to 8-10 on the scale for it to be stable for HDR BT2020/P3.  Sure enough I set it to 9 and it was pretty rock solid after that.  Don't ask me why, maybe it has something to do with that color wheel/phosphor wheel design for laser DLPs, but he was right on the money with his advice.  Go ask Ruined, maybe he can enlighten us? ;)

I inquired about the infractions and was told:

"Your relationship with any manufacturer would be irrelevant on AVS Forum as you are always to be posting as an individual, not a seller. Best to not discuss products you sell at all in that case."

So How do I post anything at all. I guess I could go into the TCL TV threads and post or the DIY speaker area.

I got the same infraction messages over there too. I think I am one step from being banned there myself!

I assume Cleveland Plasma, Dave Harper and the others have all paid the protection money so they can post about stuff they sell?.....

Wrong again, but thanks for playing! ;)  I personally think it has to do with whether you're a paid gold or silver or whatever member there, because it seems after I decided to do that for whatever reason I can't remember, I all of the sudden didn't get as may infractions it seemed.  Very weird, but maybe that is it, they just want our annual money?

......I mean Dave's all over the Optoma threads talking about his distributors/availability, and his clients.

Not anymore, because I got infractions and warnings just like Mike mentioned.  I didn't even know we couldn't drop hints like that as long as it wasn't blatantly selling and that's all you're doing without helping too.  I didn't realize it until I got the infractions and warnings and then have stopped.  I seem to recall it being ok there from folks like Mike and Craig when AV Science owned it, but I guess that isn't the case any longer and now I know.  I haven't been a dealer for long, only since Nov, so I never knew.

Does seem to be a little one sided, doesn't it. Supposedly you can get infractions from people complaining about your post. About a year and a half ago, I complained about a post with blatantly low street pricing. I received a warning that I could get an infraction for making the complaint. They said it was not against the rules. Ever since then, I have not touched the complaint button.
this aimed at you guys??  this is in classifieds stickied.....i get a kick out of "our members are treated this way" lol hat a joke

"It has come to our attention that despite agreeing to our forum rules when joining, several members have been violating these by trolling the site for potential customers preying on our membership for a buck.

The ONLY avenue for self-promotion on this site is with paid advertising through VerticalScope.

Report all veiled attempts at marketing such as "PM/email/call me", "I sell these" and "see my site" to staff for immediate action. As always, this includes both public posts as well as private messages.

We've had to terminate accounts in the last year and will continue to do so moving forward.

Our members are not to treated this way. AVS Forum is and always has been a safe place for people to share information without the burden of used car salesmen tactics."

I agree.  I am very confused on what you can and can't do over there now.  You have to walk on eggshells with every single post it seems!  We have all had our differences over there, but I think it is an utter travesty that all of you were banned!!!  There is so much knowledge lost over there I don't think they can ever recover.  I personally liked some of the heated discussions.  It is what prompted me to think more out of the box and know more of what is in the box too.  It really helped fuel my passion, but now I don't run there passionately everyday, waiting to read the next cool thing.  I just do it when I get the time and want to see what's up.  I do hope this site builds to the level that AVS "used to be"!  I thought differences and diversity were all the rage now, but I guess not.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:58:51 PM by HarperVision »

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
« Reply #517 on: April 02, 2018, 10:59:43 PM »
I did not know where to Post this so I posted it where I post the most in forums.

Lately there has been quite heavy discussions at AVSForum regarding the Sony degradation and lately the JVC not firmware upgrading the RSx00 line. This has resulted in heavy Sony Vs JVC discussions that are simply stupid. I personally have tried to keep it professional and scientific, but it has not been easy.

Today I got a lifetime ban on that forum and I see that the other members in the discussion that have been much more personal and insulting than me is still able to post.

I find that to be highly unfair and the mods are not treating members equally.

Do you guys agree with me?

I know some dont and are just happy to get rid of me, but I think when I was banned others should have been to.

If the mods find this tread unfit for this forum they can just delete it.
I agree with you. I had a temp ban  last year for posting that my price for some for sale items had been lowered. When the ban expired I told them to delete the account, and a few months later I created a new account since it had been deleted. Today I went in and saw that the thread had not been updated, and asked if a mod could please update the thread since the original poster bad been banned. The response was another person had updated it today. I responded it had not been updated, and that I was the original poster. The response was i must be a Trump supporter, and you are banned. What a professional response. I then receive a email that said I was banned for having multiple accounts! If I had 2 accounts then it was their fault as I had requested them to delete my account.
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

« Reply #518 on: April 05, 2018, 11:27:35 PM »
Is there a club for being banned from the AVS Forum because if there is I'm a new member LOL

« Reply #519 on: April 05, 2018, 11:39:08 PM »
I agree with you. I had a temp ban  last year for posting that my price for some for sale items had been lowered. When the ban expired I told them to delete the account, and a few months later I created a new account since it had been deleted. Today I went in and saw that the thread had not been updated, and asked if a mod could please update the thread since the original poster bad been banned. The response was another person had updated it today. I responded it had not been updated, and that I was the original poster. The response was i must be a Trump supporter, and you are banned. What a professional response. I then receive a email that said I was banned for having multiple accounts! If I had 2 accounts then it was their fault as I had requested them to delete my account.

You got banned for the exact same thing I was banned for, I told them to delete my account went back on there about a month later set up a new account posted about three times the next day I was permanently banned for having multiple accounts, I've had infractions for the stupidest things and there's no warning no Second Chance basically the mod tell you to bad live with it, and if you ask a question you better phrase it just right or you better not miss spell a single word or the grammar police will come out and won't be just one of them that attacks you it'll be a half a dozen of them they're like little children over there

« Reply #520 on: April 06, 2018, 09:21:08 AM »

You got banned for the exact same thing I was banned for, I told them to delete my account went back on there about a month later set up a new account posted about three times the next day I was permanently banned for having multiple accounts, I've had infractions for the stupidest things and there's no warning no Second Chance basically the mod tell you to bad live with it, and if you ask a question you better phrase it just right or you better not miss spell a single word or the grammar police will come out and won't be just one of them that attacks you it'll be a half a dozen of them they're like little children over there

*cough* It's too bad, not to bad. hahaha

But on a more serious note, it seems to be getting worse over there on a daily basis. We should all be thankful there's a refuge here for us who've either been banned or who are sick of the nonsense over there.

I've recently thought about asking to have my account re-instated over there. But solely for the purpose to post in the classified section. I sell a lot of stuff that comes through here and a lot more eyeballs see their classified section than ours.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #521 on: April 06, 2018, 10:30:20 PM »
Sounds like the US one has gotten as bad as the UK site.

I got banned from the UK one because I replied to someone having HDCP issue and suggesting they try something like a HDfury and providing link to their website.

No warning instant ban.  Didn't even know what it was for at first.  When I finally worked out why, I sent an email to the moderators that I was just trying to help the poster since I  had the same issue.  Also said I'd refrain from posting links or mentioning specific products in future, but never got a response or my ban lifted.

« Reply #522 on: May 12, 2018, 04:50:48 PM »
Eh. They have a bot that reads ip addresses and insta bans multiple accounts

Perhaps they can be stopped with the new GDPR restrictions :)

« Reply #523 on: May 13, 2018, 11:09:11 PM »
This is my first visit to the therapy session of Banned  From AVSFORUM  anonymous, Id just like to sit around listen, thank you.

I had posted this earlier not knowing you guys were here:

https://twitter.com/CINERAMAX/status/995670637250338816

LOL!

« Reply #524 on: May 14, 2018, 10:08:31 PM »
This is my first visit to the therapy session of Banned  From AVSFORUM  anonymous, Id just like to sit around listen, thank you.

I had posted this earlier not knowing you guys were here:

https://twitter.com/CINERAMAX/status/995670637250338816

LOL!

Thanks for the shoutout!  ;D

What was the excuse they used when they banned you? I was told the reason I was banned for life, without any sort of preliminary warning or temporary ban mind you, was for using bad language. The irony was that the forum auto-censored the bad language with asterisks so no one could even read my swear word anyways. It seemed to me that they were looking for any excuse to ban me.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal