AVS Discussions
  Go Down

2017 Denon AVR Owner's thread (S730H/S930H/X1400H/X2400H/X3400H/X4400H/X6400H)

Can someone explain how Denon intends to release a firmware upgrade for the X3400H/X4400H/X6400H AVRs to support eARC when eARC is part of the HDMI 2.1 spec?  It is unclear (Denon does not explicitly say anywhere I can find) what HDMI spec these AVRs are equipped with.  Is Denon implicitly saying that these AVRs already have the HDMI 2.1 hardware?

According to an HDMI representative it is in theory possible to firmware upgrade HDMI 2.0b compliant devices to HDMI 2.1 provided that the supporting hardware is already there but it is unlikely that any manufacture would have done that because the parts to do so are expensive.  I could see the premium X8500H flagship falling into this category but it doesn't.  The flagship will have to be sent back for the HDMI 2.1 hardware upgrade!  So if the flagship needs a hardware upgrade then why don't the other AVRs?

Something is just not adding up here.  Is there something we should know?

AVSjd

• (aka jdsmoothie)
Although eARC is part of the HDMI 2.1 spec, it does NOT require HDMI 2.1 to work, rather it can work with the current HDMI 2.0b hardware if the mfr chooses to release a firmware update do so.  Denon and Marantz have chosen to do so with their upper level 2017 and 2018 models.   Keep in mind, however, that the TV must also be eARC capable in order to pass the HD audio to the eARC capable AVR.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:42:52 AM by AVSjd »
Call me for pricing and availability at (585) 645-1006 from 12pm - 8pm EST daily to include Sat/Sun
Email: jd@avscience.com

AVScience is an authorized dealer for Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha, as well as other audio and video related brands (eg. JVC, Sony, Def Tech, Polk, Martin Logan, etc.).

AVSjd

• (aka jdsmoothie)
The $199 HEOS 5 HS2 promotion with the purchase of a 2017 or 2018 model has been extended thru the end of July.
Call me for pricing and availability at (585) 645-1006 from 12pm - 8pm EST daily to include Sat/Sun

AVScience is an authorized dealer for Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha, as well as other audio and video related brands (eg. JVC, Sony, Def Tech, Polk, Martin Logan, etc.).

AVSjd

• (aka jdsmoothie)
Although we are sold out of all 2017 Denon AVRs, due to how popular the X6400H (11CH) model has been, we are bringing in (3) last units, one of which has already been sold.  Call for clearance pricing info on a X6400H if interested as these last two will go fast!

Also note, the HEOS 5 HS2 $199 promo ($399 MSRP) with the purchase of a 2017 or 2018 AVR continues thru August.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 06:20:46 PM by AVSjd »

AVSjd

• (aka jdsmoothie)
After waiting over a year for Auro Technologies to get their Auro 3D Version 2 Demo disc back in stock, they just notified us a few days ago that we are now able to make a large bulk purchase of these discs.   It may take a month to actually receive our order but as a thank you to our customers who have purchased a 2017 or 2018 Denon/Marantz AVR/pre-pro that features Auro 3D (mid/upper models), we would like to ship you one of these discs for a small shipping and handling charge.  Please call your salesperson for details or you can reach me at (585) 645-1006.

Hey guys! First post here in this subforum. I'm getting a Denon AVR-X4500H to replace my aging Onkyo TX-NR905. Pretty excited about it as you can imagine. I am very curious to see how much a difference in sound quality 10+ years of new receiver technology has improved. The only thing I'm a bit worried about is the amp section in these new receivers. My old Onkyo weighed 54 pounds, this new Denon only weighs 30 pounds. I'm assuming most of this weight loss is from a skimped down amp section. Does the Denon use class D or class A/B amplification? Class D might account for the weight difference.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSjd

• (aka jdsmoothie)
Hey guys! First post here in this subforum. I'm getting a Denon AVR-X4500H to replace my aging Onkyo TX-NR905. Pretty excited about it as you can imagine. I am very curious to see how much a difference in sound quality 10+ years of new receiver technology has improved. The only thing I'm a bit worried about is the amp section in these new receivers. My old Onkyo weighed 54 pounds, this new Denon only weighs 30 pounds. I'm assuming most of this weight loss is from a skimped down amp section. Does the Denon use class D or class A/B amplification? Class D might account for the weight difference.
Class A/B.

Note however, the X4500H is a 2018 model and you're posting in the 2017 Denon AVR thread.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 06:38:37 PM by AVSjd »

AVSjd

• (aka jdsmoothie)
For those X4400H and X6400H model owners regardless of whether you purchased it from us or not, we now have the Auro 3D Version 2 Demo disc available for a small shipping fee.  Please call me if interested. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 06:58:46 PM by AVSjd »

claw

I had been running with a 7.2.2 speaker configuration with 2 Dolby Enabled Front speakers.    I added a pair of speakers that I configured as Rear Heights so now have 7.2.4 speakers.

Last night I was playing non-Atmos content from my Apple TV 4K.  The ATV4K sends multi-channel PCM rather than DD+.

If I selected Multi-Channel + Dolby Surround as the Movie sound mode, audio was sent to my Surround Back speakers.  The Denon IOS remote control App confirmed this showing all 13 speakers receiving audio.

But if I selected Multi-Channel + Neural X as the sound mode, the two surround back speakers did not receive any audio.  The App also showed all speakers except the two rear surround back speakers getting audio.

Is this normal?  That Neural X does not support the full 7.2.4 configuration I have?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 02:24:29 PM by claw »
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

claw

It may be an issue with Apple TV PCM signals.   If I play a DTS MA disc, the Neural X up-mix supplies audio to all speakers including surround back.
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

AVSjd

• (aka jdsmoothie)
I had been running with a 7.2.2 speaker configuration with 2 Dolby Enabled Front speakers.    I added a pair of speakers that I configured as Rear Heights so now have 7.2.4 speakers.

Last night I was playing non-Atmos content from my Apple TV 4K.  The ATV4K sends multi-channel PCM rather than DD+.

If I selected Multi-Channel + Dolby Surround as the Movie sound mode, audio was sent to my Surround Back speakers.  The Denon IOS remote control App confirmed this showing all 13 speakers receiving audio.

But if I selected Multi-Channel + Neural X as the sound mode, the two surround back speakers did not receive any audio.  The App also showed all speakers except the two rear surround back speakers getting audio.

Is this normal?  That Neural X does not support the full 7.2.4 configuration I have?

Nope.  DTS Neural:X can support a 7.2.4 configuration.

claw

My bad.   

I was changing sound formats using the Denon Remote Control App on my iPad.   I have since determined it was Auro 3D that was not sending sound to the rear surrounds, not DTS Neural X which does.  This makes sense that it was Auro 3D.

The App has a bit of delay in populating the speaker diagram and I didn't wait long enough for the App to update the speaker diagram when I selected Neural X. 

AVSjd

• (aka jdsmoothie)
My bad. 

I was changing sound formats using the Denon Remote Control App on my iPad.  I have since determined it was Auro 3D that was not sending sound to the rear surrounds, not DTS Neural X which does.  This makes sense that it was Auro 3D.

The App has a bit of delay in populating the speaker diagram and I didn't wait long enough for the App to update the speaker diagram when I selected Neural X.
On the X4400H/X6400H, Auro 3D only supports a 10.1 setup, such that if the VOG/Top Surround is not configured, that means at most either 7.2.2 or 5.2.4 (ie. no rear surrounds when 4 height speakers are configured).

claw

I hadn't used Auro 3D much but I really like what it does with music sources.    I think I will replace the front Dolby Atmos enabled speakers with speakers mounted high on the front wall instead.

That should improve the Auro 3D I get from music sources, and the front heights probably won't be any worse for Atmos/DTS:X than the ceiling bounce from Atmos enabled speakers.

AVSjd

• (aka jdsmoothie)
I hadn't used Auro 3D much but I really like what it does with music sources.    I think I will replace the front Dolby Atmos enabled speakers with speakers mounted high on the front wall instead.

That should improve the Auro 3D I get from music sources, and the front heights probably won't be any worse for Atmos/DTS:X than the ceiling bounce from Atmos enabled speakers.
Since Auro 3D was first introduced on Denon/Marantz models 5 years ago, and the fact that there still to this day are not any movies available in the USA, the common theme among users has been they enjoy using AuroMatic on 2CH music sources over Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal