AVS Discussions
  Go Down

OPPO 205 announced for April, 2017

Re: OPPO 205 announced for April, 2017
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 12:12:40 PM »
...I think I'm changing my mind re: the JVC projector's ability to accept the hand shake not only from the OPPO 205 but also from the DISH HOPPER receiver when I try to go from "regular" programing to NETFLIX.  My JVC (model DLA-RS500U) has alway s had a problem in accepting the 4K programming.  At first I though it was a DISH receiver problem and drove the DISH Network technicians crazy trying to "fix" the problem.  But, when I got the OPPO 205, yes there is a delay in the handshake to the JVC, but there are often no handshakes at all, or I get a blue screen.  I've started playing around with switching between HDMI 1 input (HOPPER) and HDMI 2 (OPPO) back and forth and somehow it seems to work.  But this should not be happening.  Also when I put on the OPPO, the JVC does not show the home screen many times.  When it does, and I start the 4K disc, the screen goes dark for a while during the first several seconds of the movie.  I hear the sound but no image at first.  If the image does appear, I am forced to click the button on the OPPO remote back to chaper 1 to start the film all over again.

I cannot believe that is both a HOPPER receiver and an OPPO problem.  There is something going on in the JVC which hesitates going from 1080 to 4K but I don't know what it is or if it can be fixed in any way.

Now, I did a stupid thing (I think): I put the setup to 4:4:4 and get a black screen with streaking white lines at the screens' bottom or I get a vertial colors bar both on the OPPO and the HOPPER.

HELP!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 12:38:11 PM by ed weinman »

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 12:43:35 PM »
It takes 10 or 12 seconds for the JVC to sync. This has always been the case. I haven't found it to be an issue. And it's been consistent. And no - it can't be " fixed ". Even my RS4500 has a sync delay.

What do you have set to output 4:4:4 ? How long and what HDMI cable ?
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 12:53:32 PM »
It takes 10 or 12 seconds for the JVC to sync. This has always been the case. I haven't found it to be an issue. And it's been consistent. And no - it can't be " fixed ". Even my RS4500 has a sync delay.

What do you have set to output 4:4:4 ? How long and what HDMI cable ?

AVSCraig,

I have the OPPO 205 changed from 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 (I don't know why I did this!) and my cable is the Audioquest Vodka 25 footer that works/worked great.  How to I get back to the OPPO's home screen to change all this?

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 12:59:03 PM »
Not having an Oppo here, my best advise is to call Oppo customer support !

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 01:06:09 PM »
Not having an Oppo here, my best advise is to call Oppo customer support !

Craig,

O.K...thanks

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 05:17:46 PM »
...well...after having everything turned off, the set up appears to be working again...

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 06:56:45 PM »
...well...after having everything turned off, the set up appears to be working again...

That's good news. You might just set the output to " auto " or " source direct " . 

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 10:29:25 AM »
That's good news. You might just set the output to " auto " or " source direct " .

Craig,
...I've been reading on some disussion posts that an HDMI 4K cable cannot be 25 feet unless it is certified and that, if at that length, I would have to get cables that are non-copper or are active cables. 

I have Audioquest  Vodka 25 foot cable for the OPPO 205 because, on their website (or maybe I read it somewhere else) Audioquest does not submit their cables for HDMI certification but they make it clear that the cable I purchased does in fact does work.  The statements that I have read are a 25 foot cable cannot do a handshake; the longest distance is 8 feet. 

I don't know which is fact or fiction. I do have intermittent problems getting the OPPO home screen to appear and the same when I first start a 4K disc without the home screen appearing, the disc image will appear after a while at which point a use the remote to go back to the beginning of the film.

...any thoughts?...

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 10:42:03 AM by ed weinman »

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2017, 11:19:37 AM »
Craig,
...I've been reading on some disussion posts that an HDMI 4K cable cannot be 25 feet unless it is certified and that, if at that length, I would have to get cables that are non-copper or are active cables. 

I have Audioquest  Vodka 25 foot cable for the OPPO 205 because, on their website (or maybe I read it somewhere else) Audioquest does not submit their cables for HDMI certification but they make it clear that the cable I purchased does in fact does work.  The statements that I have read are a 25 foot cable cannot do a handshake; the longest distance is 8 feet. 

I don't know which is fact or fiction. I do have intermittent problems getting the OPPO home screen to appear and the same when I first start a 4K disc without the home screen appearing, the disc image will appear after a while at which point a use the remote to go back to the beginning of the film.

...any thoughts?...

Could be an HDMI cable issue. See Dylan and Ron's post here for a possible replacement -
 https://discuss.avscience.com/?topic=107.0

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal