Are You There God? It's Me Margaret. (Blu-ray) review

Are You There God? It's Me Margaret. (Blu-ray) review
« on: July 10, 2023, 07:54:04 PM »

Studio: LionsGate
Release Date: July 11, 2023
 Rating: PG-13
 Film:  3.5/5

Plot
 In this long-awaited movie adaption of Judy Blume’s classic, groundbreaking novel, eleven-year-old Margaret (Abby Ryder Fortson) is uprooted from her life in New York City to the suburbs of New Jersey, going through the messy and tumultuous throes of puberty with new friends in a new school. She relies on her mother, Barbara (Rachel McAdams), who is also struggling to adjust to life outside the big city, and her adoring grandmother, Sylvia (Kathy Bates).

My Thoughts
This is not something I would normally request for review, but my wife had read the book years ago and wanted to see it. It was written for the screen and directed by Kelly Fremon Craig and my wife says the adaptation is mostly what she remembers from the book, although many years have passed in between, so she wasn’t 100% sure.

Regardless, it’s a decent film, but I wouldn’t call it groundbreaking. It depicts pre-teen angst from the point of view of a 12-year-old girl, so I couldn’t relate to her plight in the slightest. Even my wife thought some of the hijinks were a bit over the top, but I have to admit that it did make me laugh quite a bit. Then again, when you hear pre-teen girls obsess about getting their first period, I’m not sure what other reaction would be appropriate.

The acting is decent enough from the young cast, but McAdams and Bates really bring a lot of energy to their roles and do their usual bang-up job. While the film is mostly light-hearted, it does delve into some serious subjects too regarding religion and acceptance, which wasn’t something I was expecting and it ended up being a pleasant surprise.

Overall, the presentation is excellent. The video quality is visually perfect and I have zero complaints. The image is clean and razor-sharp with bold primaries and plenty of depth. The Atmos audio is surprisingly good at setting the tone of the film with its 70s-based soundtrack and the sound designer does a good job with atmospheric effects giving it a very wide presence in the room.

Video 5/5 (AVC)
 Audio 4.5/5 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
  • Finally, That Time: Making Margaret
  • Are you You there Margaret? It’s Me, Judy
  • The Secret Crew Club; Margaret and Friends
  • Bringing the Period to Life: Designing Margaret
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Roundtable Discussion
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Blu-ray + DVD + Digital

Conclusion
 I was definitely not the target audience for this film, but I have to admit that I had a fun time with it. I found the screenplay engaging and the characters mostly genuine and authentic. The presentation is simply fantastic though, which I’m sure the young girls watching the film won’t give two hoots about, but it should make the parents happy if they look for fabulous A/V quality to compliment their entertainment dollar. Recommended.    

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Kaleidescape Strato + Server
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
SVS SB3000
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Are You There God? It's Me Margaret. (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 01:58:35 PM »
Pretty high scores at RT. You aren't even remotely the target audience. Neither am I. 

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. - Rotten Tomatoes

Just like your wife isn't the target audience for Sisu! ::)
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023, 05:11:15 PM »
Pretty high scores at RT. You aren't even remotely the target audience. Neither am I.

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. - Rotten Tomatoes

Just like your wife isn't the target audience for Sisu! ::)
Exactly. In fact, the score I gave was based upon my wife's score, not mine. I would have gone 2.5-3 from a male perspective. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2023, 07:48:13 PM »
Exactly. In fact, the score I gave was based upon my wife's score, not mine. I would have gone 2.5-3 from a male perspective.
I think that's the wrong way to review movies though. I don't particularly like Spike Lee or his movies, so I would give them all a 0. But it's better that I just don't review them seeing as I don't really want to watch them to begin with. 

Also, I hate salmon, so as a food critic I'd always say " that dish F'n blows compared to the steak ". Wouldn't matter if you flew fish direct on a Lear jet from Copper River and had a 5 star Michelin chef cook it. 

You should have read the book first - ha! ::)
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2023, 08:04:16 PM »
I think that's the wrong way to review movies though. I don't particularly like Spike Lee or his movies, so I would give them all a 0. But it's better that I just don't review them seeing as I don't really want to watch them to begin with.

Also, I hate salmon, so as a food critic I'd always say " that dish F'n blows compared to the steak ". Wouldn't matter if you flew fish direct on a Lear jet from Copper River and had a 5 star Michelin chef cook it.

You should have read the book first - ha! ::)
You can't only review movies that you like though. Sometimes you find a gem where you weren't expecting it. This was a film that my wife wanted to watch, so to keep the peace, we watched it :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023, 12:06:03 AM »
I read a lot of Judy bloom in elementary school. Looking forward to sharing this w my daughter 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 11:46:04 AM »
I read a lot of Judy bloom in elementary school. Looking forward to sharing this w my daughter
Be prepared for some "uncomfortable" scenes unless you two have a very open relationship ;)
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2023, 03:15:38 PM »
Be prepared for some "uncomfortable" scenes unless you two have a very open relationship ;)
We do. But still good to know. Thanks!
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player