AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny: Non Spoiler Review.

Barry

I saw Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny in a Dolby Theatre, pretty crowded.  First it was great visually and the Surround Sound was wonderful, especially in the echo cave.

I went into the movie with somewhat low expectations, but I must say, I just totally had fun. It was a good, fun movie, that, on close examination, didn’t always make sense, but didn’t have to.

The first 20 minutes take place in the 1940s, during World War II when the Nazis are after the Dial of Destiny and Indiana Jones.  The “youthful ” looking Harrison Ford is amazing.

Then the movie moves to 1969, with the former Nazis, and they hope future ones, are once again after the Dial of Destiny and Indiana Jones.

(In 1969 the Dial of Destiny was the fist Universal remote.  Cable was new then and this device could change the channel on any set!!!!  😊 Just Kidding!!!)

Previously, the last four movies were produced by Paramount. The Last movie, used Shia LaBeouf as the partner/sidekick..  This movie is now produced by Disney (who owns Lucasfilm) and therefore must feminize the movie as I have mentioned before.  This time, Indy’s partner is Phoebe Waller-Bridge, a talented woman who does a lot of the action. And she is joined by a new “Short Round” played by Ethann Isidore who becomes the oft endangered sidekick.

The movie is really chase after chase, on the land, on the sea and in the air.  Of the five Indy films, nothing beats the first, but I consider this the third best, after the Last Crusade. I could not help but notice all the close up of Ford, but in the action sequences we must often see his back or side which if probably his stunt doubles.

But you got to leave your reasoning at home and just sit back. And listen to John Williams last score.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny: Non Spoiler Review.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 08:59:07 PM »

I saw Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny in a Dolby Theatre, pretty crowded.  First it was great visually and the Surround Sound was wonderful, especially in the echo cave.

I went into the movie with somewhat low expectations, but I must say, I just totally had fun. It was a good, fun movie, that, on close examination, didn’t always make sense, but didn’t have to.

The first 20 minutes take place in the 1940s, during World War II when the Nazis are after the Dial of Destiny and Indiana Jones.  The “youthful ” looking Harrison Ford is amazing.

Then the movie moves to 1969, with the former Nazis, and they hope future ones, are once again after the Dial of Destiny and Indiana Jones.

(In 1969 the Dial of Destiny was the fist Universal remote.  Cable was new then and this device could change the channel on any set!!!!  😊 Just Kidding!!!)

Previously, the last four movies were produced by Paramount. The Last movie, used Shia LaBeouf as the partner/sidekick..  This movie is now produced by Disney (who owns Lucasfilm) and therefore must feminize the movie as I have mentioned before.  This time, Indy’s partner is Phoebe Waller-Bridge, a talented woman who does a lot of the action. And she is joined by a new “Short Round” played by Ethann Isidore who becomes the oft endangered sidekick.

The movie is really chase after chase, on the land, on the sea and in the air.  Of the five Indy films, nothing beats the first, but I consider this the third best, after the Last Crusade. I could not help but notice all the close up of Ford, but in the action sequences we must often see his back or side which if probably his stunt doubles.

But you got to leave your reasoning at home and just sit back. And listen to John Williams last score.
Another movie that I'll wait to see at home in a few months. The next film I'll venture out to the theaters for is Mission Impossible (which number are we on....38, 40, 47? I lost count). Regardless, I've enjoyed most of them (except #2, which I didn't think was very good). 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 09:07:50 PM »
After what has become of Lucasfilm since the sale to Disney I'm having a tough time looking forward to this one.  After seeing what they did to Han and Luke, and so I'd hate to watch the same thing happen with Mr. Jones.

I guess I'll stream it for free when it's available.  Pre-Disney this would have been a must-see, opening night event.

Glad you got some enjoyment out of it, Barry.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 10:11:16 PM »
I'm hoping to see this one in the theater, soon. I've been working on my wife who dislikes going out.

I am a huge fan of the franchise and was pleasantly surprised when Shia LaBeouf was not slated to be in The Dial of Destiny. I really disliked his character in the last film. He was a bit like Jar-Jar was to Star Wars.........a character that should have been left out.

Thanks for the non-spoiler review, Barry. I look forward to see it.

bmoney

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 08:16:06 AM »
I'm hoping to see this one in the theater, soon. I've been working on my wife who dislikes going out.

I am a huge fan of the franchise and was pleasantly surprised when Shia LaBeouf was not slated to be in The Dial of Destiny. I really disliked his character in the last film. He was a bit like Jar-Jar was to Star Wars.........a character that should have been left out.

Thanks for the non-spoiler review, Barry. I look forward to see it.
That’s a great anaology. Yeah he is quite over the top. Glad he is out of this one. 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

bmoney

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 08:16:58 AM »
I Haven’t been out it the movies in a few years lol. Def wait for it to be on disc

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 09:45:02 PM »
Thus far the film has disappointed at the box office (no surprise). Maybe it should be renamed to Indiana Jones and the Failure at Disney? :D
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2023, 10:01:53 PM »
Thus far the film has disappointed at the box office (no surprise). Maybe it should be renamed to Indiana Jones and the Failure at Disney? :D
I guess $130 million, with a holiday tomorrow can be judged as a failure.

But I don’t consider box office to determine the quality of a film. If I did then Shawshank Redemption was a bad movie and Weekend at Bernie’s a great one.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2023, 10:19:42 PM »
I guess $130 million, with a holiday tomorrow can be judged as a failure.

But I don’t consider box office to determine the quality of a film. If I did then Shawshank Redemption was a bad movie and Weekend at Bernie’s a great one.
That $130 million is global...only $60 million domestically. That is not good given the budget on this film. It will be lucky to break even. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2023, 11:35:30 PM »
That $130 million is global...only $60 million domestically. That is not good given the budget on this film. It will be lucky to break even.
David,

i must be old. I grew up discussing whether movies were good or bad, and whether they were worth seeing. Lately, it’s become a race. It’s only about box office and who is doing better. And we don’t really know if a movie loses money because they have a long life after they leave the theatre. And we really don’t know how much a movie really costs because because they get refunds from various states and countries.

bmoney

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2023, 09:51:40 AM »
They need to start coming out with fresh ideas instead of bringing out all these old movie reboots

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2023, 11:13:19 AM »
David,

i must be old. I grew up discussing whether movies were good or bad, and whether they were worth seeing. Lately, it’s become a race. It’s only about box office and who is doing better. And we don’t really know if a movie loses money because they have a long life after they leave the theatre. And we really don’t know how much a movie really costs because because they get refunds from various states and countries.
I'm a fan of the franchise (loved the first three movies and tolerated the 4th (was better the second time I watched it)), but a box office take shows what word of mouth is doing for a "tentpole" film. I agree that a big box office doesn't mean it's a good film (i.e. The Fast and Furious franchise), but it is a gauge on how audiences feel about blockbuster films.
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2023, 04:53:28 PM »
WOW:  'Sound of Freedom' Beats 'Indiana Jones' in Incredible Box-Office Coup (msn.com)

(Granted, SOF was its opening day (July 4) while Indy it was Indy's fifth day)
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2023, 07:39:26 PM »
WOW:  'Sound of Freedom' Beats 'Indiana Jones' in Incredible Box-Office Coup (msn.com)

(Granted, SOF was its opening day (July 4) while Indy it was Indy's fifth day)
One might say Indy got whipped by an indie.  ;)

Per theater comparison numbers are even more amazing:

https://i.imgur.com/UlDRPmy.png

The story is even more interesting when you find out that Sound of Freedom was originally a 21st Century Fox co-production but was shelved after completion when Disney bought out the rival film company.  The filmmakers were eventually able to get the distribution rights back from Disney, which led to this week's release.

There was a time when one might have thought a movie built around protecting and rescuing children would have been a natural fit with the Disney brand. . .
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2023, 08:28:12 PM »
One might say Indy got whipped by an indie.  ;)

Per theater comparison numbers are even more amazing:

https://i.imgur.com/UlDRPmy.png

The story is even more interesting when you find out that Sound of Freedom was originally a 21st Century Fox co-production but was shelved after completion when Disney bought out the rival film company.  The filmmakers were eventually able to get the distribution rights back from Disney, which led to this week's release.

There was a time when one might have thought a movie built around protecting and rescuing children would have been a natural fit with the Disney brand. . .
Exactly. Talk about a company forgetting who their target audience is. 

We may have to go and see Sound of Freedom just to support the filmmakers. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal