Living (Blu-ray) review

Living (Blu-ray) review
« on: April 15, 2023, 12:01:04 PM »

Studio: Sony
Release Date: April 11, 2023
 Rating: PG-13
 Film:  3/5

Plot
 In a career defining performance, Bill Nighy (Love Actually) plays Williams, a 1950s London civil servant who struggles to maintain order under mountains of paperwork. Overwhelmed at work and lonely at home, his life takes a heartbreaking turn when a medical diagnosis tell him time is short. Influenced by a local decadent (Tom Burke) and the vibrant Margaret (Aimee Lou Wood), Williams continues to search for meaning until a simple revelation gives him the purpose to create a legacy for the next generation.

My Thoughts
The film is based on the Akira Kurosawa’s film Ikiru which was made back in the 1950s and really is a redemption story of a life not well lived and the regrets one has before meeting their maker. Nighy does a very good job playing the zombie-like character just meandering through life without any close relationships with either his family or co-workers and when given a death sentence with very little time to live decides to make a positive impact on other’s lives before its too late. My wife didn’t care for the film and felt his redemption angle was shallow since he basically ignored those closest to him. I liked it a bit more and really averaged our ratings to come up with the one above (2/5 for her, 4/5 for me).

The video is presented in a rather unique 1.48:1 aspect ratio, which I initially thought was a mistake on the press release. Overall, the video quality is quite good despite the close to “full screen” presentation. Detail in clothing and skin textures is very revealing and sharp. Also, the live shots of the London streets give you that “being there” feeling. The audio track is rather subdued and dialog heavy, but there are a few scenes with rain bustling city streets that utilize the rear speakers.

Video 4.5/5 (AVC)
 Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:
·        A Live Semi-Lived Featurette

Conclusion
 This one is definitely a slow burn, which my wife would describe as “boring and slow.” If you have patience, the payoff in the third act is worth the wait—or at least I thought it was—and your patience is rewarded. Nighy’s performance is well done although I didn’t think much of the stoic supporting cast.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Kaleidescape Strato + Server
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
SVS SB3000
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Living (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 02:26:52 PM »
Good timing on this one, as I just watched the trailer for it while trying to find good matches for this week's movie, but I couldn't really tell what it was about.  That it stars Bill Nighy is an automatic plus for me, but it does look like the kind of movie that you have to be in the right mood for.

Based on your review I'm going to add it to our Netflix queue and try to time it out to a weekend when we'll be in the right mindset for it.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

bmoney

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 03:04:26 PM »
Thanks for the review. Think I’ll
Pass
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 03:47:13 PM »
Good timing on this one, as I just watched the trailer for it while trying to find good matches for this week's movie, but I couldn't really tell what it was about.  That it stars Bill Nighy is an automatic plus for me, but it does look like the kind of movie that you have to be in the right mood for.

Based on your review I'm going to add it to our Netflix queue and try to time it out to a weekend when we'll be in the right mindset for it.

Scott
Scott,

I'll be curious for your thoughts on this one. The first act is glacial and I almost gave up on it. The third act is quite good though and mostly redeems itself in the end. My wife hated the choice he made for his redemption, but I don't want to give things away in regard to the options he had. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal