AVS Discussions
  Go Down

« on: April 14, 2023, 11:26:05 PM »
Kaleidescape versus Streaming:  Link to Review

James Cameron’s epic sci-fi film Avatar changed the landscape of movie-making when it debuted in 2010. Fans of the celebrated director flocked to theaters, ultimately producing box office receipts that topped $2.9 billion worldwide and making it the top lifetime grossing film of all-time. Now, 13 years later, Avatar: The Way of Water is enjoying the same mega-blockbuster success, having grossed over $2.3 billion since it was released to theaters in December, making it the third highest grossing film in history behind 2019’s Avengers: Endgame, which raked in $2.8 billion.
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Avatar: The Way of Water
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 11:41:16 PM »
I was surprised that the video of the two formats were that close.  I can only imagine that that gap will close even tighter over the coming years.  

Too bad the Movies Anywhere audio is such a disappointment.  You'd think that would be easier to send than the video.

Glad to see you still have the Kaleidescape unit for these comparisons.  One wonders if there would be any noticeable difference between the Kscape version and the 4K disc.  Based on this review, I would guess not.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 11:24:58 AM »
I was surprised that the video of the two formats were that close.  I can only imagine that that gap will close even tighter over the coming years. 

Too bad the Movies Anywhere audio is such a disappointment.  You'd think that would be easier to send than the video.

Glad to see you still have the Kaleidescape unit for these comparisons.  One wonders if there would be any noticeable difference between the Kscape version and the 4K disc.  Based on this review, I would guess not.

Scott
If I wasn't able to do an A/B comparison between the two, I would have honestly had minimal complaints with the audio. It's when you switch back and forth and can hear the increased depth and detail in mix that it really stands out. Listen to the stream for 5 minutes straight and your mind just adjusts to it--it's very interesting to do the comparison.

When it comes to the 4K disc, you are correct. I've yet to see or hear a K-scape download exceed what I see and hear on the disc. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 03:04:53 PM »
Despite what they claim lol
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen