The Maltese Falcon (UHD Blu-ray) review

The Maltese Falcon (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: April 01, 2023, 07:52:18 PM »

Studio: Warner Brothers
Release Date: April 4, 2023
Rating: NR
Film:  4.5/5

Plot
Sam Spade's (Humphrey Bogart) partner meets an untimely end while tailing a man for a new client (Mary Astor). Before he knows it, the sly detective finds himself in the middle of a mystery involving multiple parties in search of a jewel encrusted statue known as the Maltese Falcon.

My Thoughts
Based on the 1930 novel by Dashiell Hammett, screenwriter/director John Huston launched his directorial career and turned Bogart into a leading man. Although the film is over 80 years old, the story and characters are timeless and Bogart's depiction as the private detective is the benchmark for other such characters in Hollywood.

The last time I watched this was back on Blu-ray about 13 years ago and I found the presentation to be good, but not great, due to some inconsistent black levels. That seems to be improved on this 4K transfer and the 1.37:1 aspect ratio presentation has strong contrast and excellent detail. The DTS-HD MA 1.0 track is the same that was on the Blu-ray and holds up decently well given its age. The dialog can sound a tad muffled at times and the score is definitely dynamically challenged.

Video 9/10 (AVC)
Audio 8/10 (DTS-HD MA 1.0)

Special Features:

All of the supplements come housed on the Blu-ray, which is a reprint of the 2010 VC-1 encoded release.
    • Commentary by Eric Lax
    • Warner Night at the Movies
    • Sergeant York trailer
    • Newsreel of “New highlights of the Roosevelt Churchill Parley”
    • The Gay Parisian 1941 WB Short
    • Meet John Doughboy cartoon
    • The Maltese Falcon: One Magnificent Bird
    • Becoming Attractions: The Trailers of Humphrey Bogart
    • Breakdowns of 1941
    • Make-Up Tests
    • 2/8/43 Lux Radio Theater Broadcast
    • 9/20/43 Screen Guild Theater Broadcast
    • 7/3/46 Academy Award Theater Broadcast
    • Trailers
    • 4K + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
This was the second time I’ve watched this film and I was thoroughly entertained even though I knew how it ended. Bogart’s screen presence is fantastic and it’s easy to see how he became such a leading man back in his day. The 4K restoration looks great and I love how black and white films look with HDR grading. It’s easy to see why this is considered one of the greatest films of all time and one of the first 25 films selected by the Library of Congress for the National Film Registry. Highly recommended.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Kaleidescape Strato + Server
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
SVS SB3000
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: The Maltese Falcon (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2023, 08:15:59 PM »
Thanks for the review.  Love to see that these old films are getting a 4K HDR release, since they benefit from it much more than people might think.
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

Barry

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 09:39:23 PM »
It’s the stuff dreams are made on.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 03:11:33 PM »
Thanks for the review.  Love to see that these old films are getting a 4K HDR release, since they benefit from it much more than people might think.
Agreed. I just got done watching " Mr. Smith Goes To Washington " on 4K Blu-ray. Tuesday it's " Dr. Strangelove " on 4K. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

bmoney

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2023, 06:52:21 AM »
Might be my time to pick it up
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD