The Mask of Zorro (UHD Steelbook) review

The Mask of Zorro (UHD Steelbook) review
« on: March 05, 2023, 05:35:00 PM »

Studio: Sony  
 Release Date: March 7, 2023
 Rating: PG-13
Film: 4/5

Plot
 When a power-crazed despot schemes to buy California from Mexico, it takes two Zorros--the legendary Don Diego de la Vega (Anthony Hopkins) and his chosen successor Alejandro Murrieta (Antonio Banderas), a dashing bandit-turned-hero-- to defeat the tyrant's unscrupulous plans. But can even their combined skills, bravado and derring-do be enough to achieve de la Vega's ultimate goal: revenge against the man who killed his wife, kidnapped his daughter and held him prisoner for twenty years?

My Thoughts
The last time I watched this film was in May 2020 when it was released on UHD, but given the Pandemic, review copies were limited to 4K streaming, which I did watch. While I was pleased with the 4K stream, this UHD takes it to the next level. Detail and depth are definitely improved, and the color palette looks a tad stronger. It’s the audio track that steal the show though—the Dolby Atmos track has an active surround element and directional queues from all over the soundstage. I always liked the Dolby Digital track from the DVD, but this is measurably better.

With having seen the film only 3 years ago, I remembered all of the plot twists, but it still holds up well. Katherine Zeta Jones was in her prime and looks marvelous in 4K. One distracting element to the screenplay today is whenever I hear Banderas talk, my mind only sees Puss-In-Boots. It didn’t help that I just watched the latest Puss-In-Boots movie two days before!

Video 4/5 

Audio 4.5/5 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Ten Deleted Scenes
  • Commentary with Director Martin Campbell
  • “Unmasking Zorro” Documentary
  • Music Video by Marc Anthony and Tina Arena

Conclusion
 This is a fun trip down memory lane and the film is just as entertaining as it was in the nineties. While I enjoyed the Movies Anywhere experience during the Pandemic, I’m so happy I was able to score a physical copy because the presentation is definitely improved and the Steelbook case looks amazing. If you’re a fan of the film, be sure to pick this up.

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
SVS SB3000
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

Re: The Mask of Zorro (UHD Steelbook) review
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 07:32:48 PM »
Zorro was my first super-hero! His mask, his cape, his sword was wonderful to watch. Of course that was Guy Williams. I totally enjoyed this movie. I first saw Miss Jones in the Phantom. And she is great here! 
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 08:08:13 PM »
Zorro was my first super-hero! His mask, his cape, his sword was wonderful to watch. Of course that was Guy Williams. I totally enjoyed this movie. I first saw Miss Jones in the Phantom. And she is great here!
Before I met you Barry, I never realized Zorro came from a comic book! 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 11:59:00 PM »
Before I met you Barry, I never realized Zorro came from a comic book!
No it didn’t! Guy Williams played Zorro in Disney’s TV show. Sorry to mislead you.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

bmoney

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 11:58:36 AM »
whatever happened to CZJ
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 04:40:24 PM »
whatever happened to CZJ
She's still out there making movies. So is her father, I mean husband....Michael Douglass
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2023, 04:46:07 PM »
She's still out there making movies. So is her father, I mean husband....Michael Douglass
I LOL'd, good thing I was muted on the call I'm on! Just saw him in Ant-Man 3, he's holding up pretty well for his age.

Barry

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 04:57:32 PM »
whatever happened to CZJ
She is in the new Netflix series, Wednesday.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2023, 05:20:19 PM »
I LOL'd, good thing I was muted on the call I'm on! Just saw him in Ant-Man 3, he's holding up pretty well for his age.
Glad I could provide a good laugh for you ;)
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2023, 06:47:41 AM »
So many actors/actresses have gone to series. I guess series are just one long movie anyhow.

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2023, 09:54:33 AM »
So many actors/actresses have gone to series. I guess series are just one long movie anyhow.
With the $ that the streaming services dumped into their product over the last few years, it's not surprising. Also, arguably more interesting and creative shows were being done. (I don't know if Wednesday is as I haven't seen it, don't have an active NF right now, though I've heard good things.) With the saturation and declining profits recently we've seen pullback though so let's see if that trend reverses.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2023, 12:36:05 PM »
So many actors/actresses have gone to series. I guess series are just one long movie anyhow.
That's the problem for me. A movie can be watched in 2 hours. It's hard to start a series and finish watching it 6 months later because you got busy with other things!
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

bmoney

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2023, 12:38:36 PM »
That's the problem for me. A movie can be watched in 2 hours. It's hard to start a series and finish watching it 6 months later because you got busy with other things!
agreed,

hwoever I have just installed a smart TV above my pelaton tread....so on long run days I have been watching series.  Im on "your honor" right now..good stuff

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Go Up