Ticket to Paradise (Blu-ray) review

Ticket to Paradise (Blu-ray) review
« on: December 11, 2022, 01:40:13 PM »

Studio: Universal
Release Date: December 13, 2022
 Rating: PG-13
 Film:  4/5

Plot
 Academy Award® winners George Clooney and Julia Roberts team up as exes who find themselves on a shared mission: to stop their lovestruck daughter from making the same mistake they once made.

My Thoughts
I enjoy both of the star’s work, but it’s been a while since I’d seen Roberts in a movie and I have to say, she hasn’t lost her touch. First, she looks absolutely fabulous for a lady in her mid-fifties. Unlike Sandra Bullock, she has decided to take the natural approach to her look and I commend her for it. Anyway, her and Clooney were a couple in the Ocean’s franchise, and this almost feels like a sequel of the two of them coming back together many years later.

The opening of the film is simply hilarious as the two stars recount their courtship from their own perspective and let’s just say, Men do come from Mars and Women from Venus because it’s hard to know who’s telling the truth—I will say this though, it’s freaking hilarious. The film also stars Kaitlyn Dever as the pair’s 20-something daughter who decides to take an extended vacation in Bali when she graduates law school and meets the love of her life and wants to get married. From here the story becomes somewhat predictable, but entertaining, and there are plenty of laughs along the way.

The presentation is very good, especially the video, due to its tropical filming location. While the story takes place in Bali, the actual shooting locations are done in Australia. Brightly lit scenes could double as “Come to Bali” infomercials with the rich green jungles coupled with the clear ocean water. The audio track is about what you’d expect from a rom-com with clear dialog and a mostly front-loaded presentation.  

Video 4.5/5 (AVC)
 Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:
  • Return of the Dynamic Duo
  • Destination Wedding
  • Production in Paradise
  • Keep a Straight Face
  • Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy

Conclusion
 The trailers made this film look like a fun adventure with plenty of laughs and it definitely delivered on both promises. The chemistry between Roberts and Clooney is genuine and it was nice to see Dever with a higher-profile acting gig (I was introduced to her with her role in Last Man Standing) and I’m sure we’ll be seeing more of her in the future. If you’re looking for something that will make you laugh, definitely give this one a look.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
JL Audio F110 (X2 co-located and bridged as one sub)
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Ticket to Paradise (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 10:02:19 AM »
Saw this movie. It was pretty much what I expected and enjoyed watching it. It was a nice break from the admittedly disproportionately high number of action movies in my collection. 

bmoney

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 10:34:48 AM »
definitly a fun watch.  seeing these two on screen together again and having fun was cool
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 03:05:58 PM »
Greetings,

I had fun with this one as well. Nice job Dave...

Regards,

Barry

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 06:16:10 PM »
 I know I am going to get into trouble with this.

I enjoy and require originality in a movie.  All Rom-Coms these day begin with a couple hating each other. The, usually by coincidence, they are thrown together time after time. One of the two always has a boyfriend or girlfriend waiting for them while the other grows jealous.  Then, at the end, they get together.

I have seen this movie a couple of dozen times, with different movie stars.  The last one was Jennifer Lopez I believe. The cast, Clooney and Roberts, are worth watching.  The plot is unimaginative and stall as was most of the dialogue.  Yes, there was an occasional laugh. This is a flat movie that showed no imagination.  If you liked the scenery watch “Forgetting Sarah Marshall. And maybe a dozen others.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 07:16:21 PM »

I enjoy and require originality in a movie.  All Rom-Coms these day begin with a couple hating each other. The, usually by coincidence, they are thrown together time after time. One of the two always has a boyfriend or girlfriend waiting for them while the other grows jealous.  Then, at the end, they get together.

I have seen this movie a couple of dozen times, with different movie stars.  The last one was Jennifer Lopez I believe. The cast, Clooney and Roberts, are worth watching.  The plot is unimaginative and stall as was most of the dialogue.  Yes, there was an occasional laugh. This is a flat movie that showed no imagination.  If you liked the scenery watch “Forgetting Sarah Marshall. And maybe a dozen others.
Barry,

While I don't disagree about the originality, one could say the same about virtually any comic book movie today as well. This was mindless entertainment with a couple of stars that are easy to like. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 09:14:06 PM »
Haven't seen this yet, so grain of salt etc.

I can see Barry's point at a "macro" level for plot, but to me these genre type movies are always about 1) Writing, with some cleverness & inspiration on some level; 2) Characters / Casting; 3) Execution. If you have those 3 things done well then it's still enjoyable to watch even if you know what the end point ultimately is. Cops are always going to end up catching the bad guy, etc. The lone wolf hero will overcome the odds and Do The Right Thing etc. And so on. (That's not to say the umpteenth Liam Neeson / Jason Statham template movie is enjoyable, lol.)

Barry

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 09:51:04 PM »
I loved When Harry Met Sally, Pretty Woman, Sleepless in Seattle, 500 Days of Summer, Silver Liniins Playbook, 13 going on 30, Bull Duran, Princess Bride, and so many that were not typical 
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2023, 10:19:18 PM »
I loved When Harry Met Sally, Pretty Woman, Sleepless in Seattle, 500 Days of Summer, Silver Liniins Playbook, 13 going on 30, Bull Duran, Princess Bride, and so many that were not typical
All of those are great films in the genre (although Silver Lining Playbook is more of a drama), so it may not be a fair comparison. 

It's OK that you didn't enjoy it, but you have to admit the first 15 minutes of the film was pretty damn funny. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2023, 11:13:57 PM »
David, please read my review. I wrote that Clooney and Roberts were worth watching. They are. They are the reason to watch this movie. I just wish it was a more original story.

bmoney

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2023, 07:54:44 AM »
Not many original stories left to tell lol. It’s rampant across all genres 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2023, 11:53:43 AM »
David, please read my review. I wrote that Clooney and Roberts were worth watching. They are. They are the reason to watch this movie. I just wish it was a more original story.
You're right Barry...I missed that part. Did you like the first 15 minutes? Both my wife and I LOL'd. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2023, 12:23:41 PM »
Oh, yes. The two of them together are just terrific. And they were so over the top!

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2023, 12:42:00 PM »

All Hallmark Channel Christmas movies - right there. But my wife still loves watching them! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Barry

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2023, 07:54:27 PM »
David,

You mentioned, earlier, comic book movies which was a comment  referring to me.  I liked comics in the 1960s-1970s and that has nothing to do with the movies.  I was not a fan of Black Adam, Man of Steel, Batman vs Superman, Justice League, Wonder Woman 1984 (but I loved the first one) The Eternals, Black Widow, Iron Man III, Thor Dark World, Dr. Strange II, Daredevil and Green Lantern.

I don’t segregate them into their own class, but put them in “Action and Adventure” movies.  I loved Terminator I and II but hatred the last one.  But here also is where our Siskel and Ebert come in.  I want an original story and an original plot, but not just long special effects laden chase scenes. That’s where you and I often disagreed.  You liked the Lone Ranger* for its exciting chase scenes and fights, but I disliked the plot and lack of character development.

On several different types of movies, I think you and I have had this discussion and we disagree.  KEEP IT UP! Today, it seems too many people find disagreements reason to fight and get mad. Here, old friends just do not have the same perspective, although mine is always right.

*There is an interesting connection here between this movie, John Carter and the Marvel Universe. Remind me to tell you one day.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal