AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Studio 666

Studio 666
« on: November 13, 2022, 12:54:55 AM »
https://i.imgur.com/dmGsbce.png
Studio 666

Netflix is being a little pokey with sending out discs, so this is a belated review for what should have been a Halloween viewing.  Studio 666 is a movie about a band by the name of Foo Fighters, who are behind with their latest release, and need to find an inspiring new location to record.  They're led to an abandoned mansion, which was this site of some grisly murders some years ago.  Hijinks ensue. 

Full disclosure:  I have no familiarity with the Foo Fighters, don't know any of their songs, or any of their history.  This may or may not be relevant to one's enjoyment of the movie.

This is not a good movie.  Is it a comedy with horror elements?  A faux rockumentary with horror elements?  A horror movie with rock elements?  A vanity project?  Regardless, it's lifeless, mostly unfunny, drag that with a paper-thin story line.  Some of the acting is passable, while some players seem uncomfortable with the whole thing.  It doesn't bother to wink at the audience, even as so much of the story is filled in with rock and horror cliches recycled from much better films. 

There is a considerable amount of gore, and some of the kills are inventive, if that's your sort of thing.  But none of that is enough to make the effort even remotely interesting. 

The band spends some time making music.  Is that enough to make it worth watching for fans?  I don't have any way to judge, since I didn't really care for it, but that isn't really the main focus of the movie, so it doesn't seem like it would be enough to sustain interest.

Audio and visuals are OK, but nothing really stands out.  John Carpenter contributes to the musical theme, and it almost sets the stage for an 80's vibe at the beginning of the movie that fits perfectly with the cover art, but that feeling quickly fades.  The DTS 7.1 soundtrack is serviceable, but there's a scene at the end of the movie that definitely could have benefitted from some overhead speaker action. 

Maybe I'm off the mark here, but for a movie that revolves around finding an interesting sound stage for their project, the music in the movie sure sounded like it was recorded in a studio rather than the hard-surfaced space that was featured in the movie.  According to an interview in Rolling Stone, their album Medicine at Midnight was recorded in the same mansion that was featured in the movie.  If I had any actual interest in the band or this movie it would be interesting to compare the sound of both side-by-side.
I did not care for this movie, but will concede the possibility that fans of the band might find some of the antics amusing, depending how well the band's members are portrayed.  As a horror movie, there's nothing here you haven't seen before, other than the aforementioned creative kills, which aren't enough to elevate it above grade C schlock that has been out there for decades.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

Re: Studio 666
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 02:00:29 AM »
Scott,

Looks like you took one for the team here!

Sorry it wasn't very good. 

David
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 05:07:38 PM »
I like some of their music but after seeing a preview, I was thinking that the movie would have not been a good one.

You just can't top This is Spinal Tap for a music-related parody.

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 07:46:30 PM »
I have the unpopular opinion of hating any and all foo fighters music 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 11:30:11 AM »
I like some of their music but after seeing a preview, I was thinking that the movie would have not been a good one.

You just can't top This is Spinal Tap for a music-related parody.
Dewey Cox! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 06:01:45 PM »
Dewey Cox!
Now that is one that I haven't seen.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 06:58:37 PM »
Now that is one that I haven't seen.
Really? one of my favorite comedies, and a total send up of Walk The Line, Ray, and the entire music industry. I even thought about this film while watching Elvis. Think I'll watch it again around my birthday.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 03:44:34 PM »
Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny is one of my favorites, Jack Black is hilarious in it and ironically the Devil in the film is played by Foo Fighter lead man Dave Grohl. 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal