AVS Discussions
  Go Down

The Black Phone

The Black Phone
« on: November 11, 2022, 08:57:42 PM »
This movie has been out for a while, but we finally got a copy from Netflix last weekend.

A thriller/suspense movie with some supernatural elements, the story centers around a series of child disappearances set in the 1970s.  I won't say much for than that, since these movies tend to work their best with minimal knowledge going into them.  The acting is mostly solid, with some of the children's performances feeling real and natural, especially Mason Thames, who portrays the main character, Finney.  And Ethan Hawke's role is quite memorable, greatly enhanced by the fantastic masks that were a collaboration of director Scott Derrickson, horror makeup mastermind Tom Savini, fabricator Jason Baker, and his brother-in-law Levi Simpson.

The story is actually pretty good for horror, not simply a plot filled with jump scares (although it does include some pretty effective ones), but it also touches upon some other themes, and is well-thought out. Adapted from a story by Joe Hill, it certainly shares some traits from his famous father's works, and I mean that as a genuine complement.

This is another movie set in the 1970s, a time period we've seen used extensively this year, and we're treated to another solid job of setting this in that bygone era.  Those of us that grew up during those years will find plenty of things to remind us of what things were like back then, and how we were largely ignorant of the dangers that could have been lurking around neighborhood corners.

The picture quality of the Blu-ray looked great, matching the tone of the movie. The soundtrack is just 7.1, but even so, it was filled with effective ambiance, and off-screen cues.  I would imagine that an Atmos version is even better, but I didn't find this one lacking in any way.

This is a movie I'll be adding to my buy list and will watch again in the future.  Recommended for fans of horror and suspense.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

Re: The Black Phone
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 10:00:33 PM »
This movie has been out for a while, but we finally got a copy from Netflix last weekend.

A thriller/suspense movie with some supernatural elements, the story centers around a series of child disappearances set in the 1970s.  I won't say much for than that, since these movies tend to work their best with minimal knowledge going into them.  The acting is mostly solid, with some of the children's performances feeling real and natural, especially Mason Thames, who portrays the main character, Finney.  And Ethan Hawke's role is quite memorable, greatly enhanced by the fantastic masks that were a collaboration of director Scott Derrickson, horror makeup mastermind Tom Savini, fabricator Jason Baker, and his brother-in-law Levi Simpson.

The story is actually pretty good for horror, not simply a plot filled with jump scares (although it does include some pretty effective ones), but it also touches upon some other themes, and is well-thought out. Adapted from a story by Joe Hill, it certainly shares some traits from his famous father's works, and I mean that as a genuine complement.

This is another movie set in the 1970s, a time period we've seen used extensively this year, and we're treated to another solid job of setting this in that bygone era.  Those of us that grew up during those years will find plenty of things to remind us of what things were like back then, and how we were largely ignorant of the dangers that could have been lurking around neighborhood corners.

The picture quality of the Blu-ray looked great, matching the tone of the movie. The soundtrack is just 7.1, but even so, it was filled with effective ambiance, and off-screen cues.  I would imagine that an Atmos version is even better, but I didn't find this one lacking in any way.

This is a movie I'll be adding to my buy list and will watch again in the future.  Recommended for fans of horror and suspense.

Scott
Scott,

I didn't request this one for review because there was no way in hell my wife would watch it with me. Glad you thought it was good. 

David
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 10:18:52 PM »
Scott,

I didn't request this one for review because there was no way in hell my wife would watch it with me. Glad you thought it was good.

David
My wife is not a fan of horror films at all, although she will indulge me during the Halloween season and occasionally throughout the year.  In exchange, I'll sit through just about any animated movie she wishes to see.

She would agree that this is more of a thriller/suspense movie than pure horror, and she ended up enjoying it almost as much as I did.  It's not heavy on gore, and actually has a bit of an arc for the main character.  It was nice to see kids actually act like kids for a change, and not just little adults.
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 01:20:25 AM »
My wife is not a fan of horror films at all, although she will indulge me during the Halloween season and occasionally throughout the year.  In exchange, I'll sit through just about any animated movie she wishes to see.

She would agree that this is more of a thriller/suspense movie than pure horror, and she ended up enjoying it almost as much as I did.  It's not heavy on gore, and actually has a bit of an arc for the main character.  It was nice to see kids actually act like kids for a change, and not just little adults.
I'll have to give it a try at some point. I'm fine with thriller/suspense, as long as there isn't too much blood and gore. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 06:26:11 AM »
In general I'm not much of a horror fan, and dislike blood/gore/violence, especially when it's over the top and gratuitous. But based on reviews and some others opinions, I went ahead and got it.

I actually thought it was pretty good (my wife declined to join me, based on what she read about it). It really kept my attention throughout, and I'll be watching it again.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 12:24:09 PM »
I'll have to give it a try at some point. I'm fine with thriller/suspense, as long as there isn't too much blood and gore.
Any gore in the movie fits in with the plot and tone of the film and isn't over-the-top or unnecessary.  I wouldn't say it's restricted or restrained, but it's certainly not overdone.  It's just the right amount so it's clear that there are dire stakes involved, and never feels exploitive.  

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 08:16:08 PM »
I happened to notice that the movie is available on Kaleidescape and comes with an actual Atmos soundtrack, so you have a chance to watch what might be an upgraded version compared to us still stuck in the age of discs.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2022, 01:51:27 PM »
I just noticed that this movie will be coming to Amazon Prime on 12/13, for those of you that are curious.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal