AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Baseball in 4K

Barry

Baseball in 4K
« on: October 11, 2022, 03:24:35 PM »
Baseball in 4K

I have been watching the Phillies and Braves on my LG 77 inch TV. It’s on Fox, which is Channel 5 in New York.

I get broadcast reception and on Verizon Cable I get their transmission of Channel 5 and, occasionally, with sporting events, on their 4K, I get a transmission.  So I thought I would compare them.

First, broadcast TV, with my antenna on the roof, is always better than cable. The picture is sharper and a bit more colorful and te sound nis usually better.  It holds true for this broadcast.

4K is a major step forward.  The picture is far more colorful than broadcast, with much better sharpness and contrast.  It is noticeably much better. I hope cable on broadcast universally adopts 4K.

A Sperate note:
I got an outdoor antenna, many yeas ago, because Cablevision often lost it signal in bad weather. I switched to Satellite and in the beginning, you needed an antenna to receive local broadcast channels.

I funny thing happened when I got Verizon Cable a dozen years ago.  The installer insisted it was even better than broadcast TV, at least that is what Verizon told him.  I said, “Let’s compare, Broadcast is always better.”
We compared.  We just switched on the TV from broadcast to cable and back again.  He say the difference and acknowledged it.  But he was surprised because they so insisted at Verizon’s training that cable was better.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: Baseball in 4K
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 10:32:20 PM »
For those watching the playoffs.

wow

Bottom of the 9th is magic. Down by 2. 2 outs. 2 on. 2nd pitch and they win!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 10:11:37 AM by tripplej »
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

tripplej

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 10:12:32 AM »
Astros vs Phillies in world series!

https://i.imgur.com/fpnNLKS.png
Baseball in 4K
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 12:19:56 PM »
eh.  

no way a 3rd place team should be in the WS.  baseball has lost its way
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Barry

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 03:43:53 PM »
eh. 

no way a 3rd place team should be in the WS.  baseball has lost its way
      You are totally right.  But this is all about money and it has always been about money.

It used to be that baseball ddin’t have a post season, it had the World series, seven games.  Now it can have over fifty games and, with TV money, bring in ONE BILLION dollars.

But by prolonging the season another month for all those games, you will wear out most players and most pitchers.  Look at the Yankees and Dodgers, they were just worn out.

Instead of the best teams winning, you will have the YOUNGEST teams, with the most stamina  and most expectance win.

PS: NYC said that each wild card game for the Mets brought in $13,000,000 per game and the Yankees in the next round brought in $19,000,000. *

So it is not about baseball, it’s about money.

*PS The teams do not set prices for the playoffs, MLB does.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 04:37:06 PM »
      You are totally right.  But this is all about money and it has always been about money.

It used to be that baseball ddin’t have a post season, it had the World series, seven games.  Now it can have over fifty games and, with TV money, bring in ONE BILLION dollars.

But by prolonging the season another month for all those games, you will wear out most players and most pitchers.  Look at the Yankees and Dodgers, they were just worn out.

Instead of the best teams winning, you will have the YOUNGEST teams, with the most stamina  and most expectance win.

PS: NYC said that each wild card game for the Mets brought in $13,000,000 per game and the Yankees in the next round brought in $19,000,000. *

So it is not about baseball, it’s about money.

*PS The teams do not set prices for the playoffs, MLB does.
At one point in my life, I was a massive baseball fan. I would watch or listen to all 162 games that the SF Giants played every year and would go to 10-20 games a year. 

Now I've pretty much given up on the sport. The last "live" game I went to was in 2019 and the only reason I went was because I had a client from out of town who wanted to go to the stadium (which is beautiful, even thought it's had a gazillion names since first opening)--I think it's called Oracle park now, but it may have changed again--I haven't been paying attention. Anyway, over the past 4 years, I bet I haven't watched a total of nine innings combined of any game, even the playoffs. To show how far I've fallen, I was in a restaurant bar and there was a playoff game on the TV and cornhole on another TV--I never know cornhole could be so exciting. I honestly ignored the MLB feed. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2022, 05:23:08 PM »
At one point in my life, I was a massive baseball fan. I would watch or listen to all 162 games that the SF Giants played every year and would go to 10-20 games a year.

Now I've pretty much given up on the sport. The last "live" game I went to was in 2019 and the only reason I went was because I had a client from out of town who wanted to go to the stadium (which is beautiful, even thought it's had a gazillion names since first opening)--I think it's called Oracle park now, but it may have changed again--I haven't been paying attention. Anyway, over the past 4 years, I bet I haven't watched a total of nine innings combined of any game, even the playoffs. To show how far I've fallen, I was in a restaurant bar and there was a playoff game on the TV and cornhole on another TV--I never know cornhole could be so exciting. I honestly ignored the MLB feed.
I still enjoy baseball but it is becoming too commercial for me. That is, it takes a players 30 seconds to change sides but we have to wait a full 2 1/2 minutes for commercials so each game is extended by at least 30 minutes. They now have commercials actually during the game and that so distracts me. They have advertising on the pitching mounds now. And one thing that's a bit complicated is that the billboards that you see behind the batter are green so that they can superimpose more ads as you watch. But even this week the ends washed out the head of the pitcher in one of the games I was watching. Then, you have to sit through a huge amount of advertising that began this year for gambling and betting. They keep telling you the odds of certain things and the interrupt the  program to do it. And they've invented stupid new rules. I'm not towing about what goes into effect next year. But there's no more real extra innings they put a man, a ghost runner, on second base. Relief Pitchers now have to throw to three batters. But really the worst part is computers have taken over  and it has become a videogame. Even before the game begins managers are told by their analysts when they have to take out the pitcher. So picture could be doing great but three hours earlier they decided he should be taken out after 50 pitchers. So the game is now programmed. This also means that they hire younger managers who do not have the experience of the managers gone by. It's all program for them.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 11:09:25 PM by Barry »

tripplej

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2022, 11:00:16 PM »
Good observations Barry.

tripplej

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2022, 12:11:31 PM »
Barry, you mention younger players on teams..

Well, now, younger umpires!

from washingtonpost,

"In a nod to computerized strike zones, plus other factors including injuries, retirements and postseason rotations, the seven-man World Series umpire crew announced Wednesday by MLB is easily the youngest in recent memory.

At an average age of 45.7 years old, the crew calling the Philadelphia Phillies-Houston Astros matchup is more than five years younger than the average of World Series crews over the past decade, The Associated Press tallied"

So young, in fact, there won’t be a full-time regular-season crew chief on the field in Game 2 on Saturday night. Usually, two or sometimes three veteran chiefs are on the Fall Classic crew.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 12:13:28 PM by tripplej »

tripplej

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2022, 07:45:02 AM »
Astros won the championship.

https://i.imgur.com/b1mceGT.png
Baseball in 4K

Barry

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2022, 02:03:02 PM »
 “It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops. Today, …a Sunday of rain and broken branches and leaf-clogged drains and slick streets, it stopped and summer was gone.”

― A. Bartlett Giamatti

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal