The Limey (UHD Blu-ray) review

The Limey (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: October 09, 2022, 10:24:54 PM »

Studio: LionsGate
Release Date: October 11, 2022
Rating: R
Film: 2.5/5

Plot
Oscar® nominees Terence Stamp (Billy Budd), Lesley Ann Warren (Victor/Victoria), and Peter Fonda (Ulee’s Gold) team up with the director of Out of Sight and Sex, Lies, and Videotape for this critically acclaimed thriller that Newsday called “a lean and mean treat for savvy action lovers.” British ex-con Wilson (Terence Stamp) arrives in Los Angeles to investigate the mystery of his daughter’s “accidental” death. His prime suspect, the wealthy, heavily guarded music promoter Terry Valentine (Peter Fonda), is no easy target. Propelled into an increasingly brutal search for truth, Wilson, with single-mindedness and terrifying precision, moves unstoppably toward revenge.

My Thoughts
Lionsgate has been going into their vault to release catalog titles on 4K and somehow this made the cut. I had heard of the movie before, but have never seen it. Steven Soderberg was a hot commodity at the time this film was released in 1999 and it was sandwiched between the popular Out of Sight and Oscar-darling Erin Brockovich. Sadly, it doesn’t come close to either one of those films. In fact, it’s not in the same zip code.

The story in this one is rather weak and it drags throughout its short 89-minute runtime. While there’s certain aspects of the story that work—such as the mystery behind the daughter’s death, there are other things that seem out of place such as the DEA segment and the hired hitmen. Character development is rather lame and the dialog is very benign and frankly, the acting left a lot to be desired. My wife categorized it as a “B” movie, but I think that’s a tad generous.

Video 8/10

Audio 8/10 (Dolby TrueHD 5.1)

Special Features:
  • Audio Commentary
  • Isolated Score
  • 4K + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
It looks like the studio grabbed this one right off the shelf, did a quick 4K upconversion, and packaged it into a Steelbook in order to make a quick buck. In the Patheon of Soderberg films, this one ranks near or at the bottom, in my opinion, but I’m sure there’s some type of following if it’s getting a Best Buy exclusive.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Dual JL Audio F-110 (stacked and treated as one sub)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner

« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 10:27:08 PM by David Vaughn »
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: The Limey (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 12:35:49 PM »
Your rating is wildly different from the consensus -  The Limey - Rotten Tomatoes

92 pts on Rotten Tomatoes - maybe you should send me your copy David. ;)
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 11:59:35 PM »
Your rating is wildly different from the consensus -  The Limey - Rotten Tomatoes

92 pts on Rotten Tomatoes - maybe you should send me your copy David. ;)
PM me your address....Ill send it to you.  I d8dnt care for the acting at all.  
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 06:27:24 AM »
I NEVER trust rotten tomatoes 

SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 11:25:35 AM »
I NEVER trust rotten tomatoes
I do and I use it as one of my tools researching movies I haven't seen or heard of. Same with reviews on wine using Wine Spectator or other reviewers. There are exceptions of course. 

bmoney

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 01:48:40 PM »
same with peoples views on restaurants.  Ill just try it myself.  ill be the judge if somthing is good or not.  of course a glowing review from someone i have similar tastes (not critics) will sway if i try somthing.  RT is not one i trust by a long shot.
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 12:42:08 PM »
I liked this movie. It's a slow burn character study / revenge film, but a lot more going on beneath the surface. I like a lot of Steven Soderbergh directed films, and this one is certainly different. Interesting use of flashbacks / editing -

" Editing

Soderbergh and film editor Sarah Flack utilize a variety of unorthodox editing techniques in The Limey. The film frequently features dialogue and background sound from previous or future scenes juxtaposed with a current scene. Dialogue from one conversation, for instance, may find itself dispersed throughout the film, articulated for the first time long after its chronological moment has passed, as a sort of narrative flashback superimposed over later conversation, to complete a character's thought or punctuate a character's emphasis. Background sound may be disjointed in the film and shifted to enhance another scene by suggesting continuation, similarity, or dissimilarity. For example, Wilson is in a hotel room, and turns on the shower, and then Wilson is in an airplane looking out the window, while the shower can be heard. " The Limey - Wikipedia

Terence Stamp is great in this. I'll have to watch this again with some friends and get their reaction.

I'd give it 4 / 5. I particularly liked the ending. Good 4K disc too - looks great overall. 

Thanks. David! 

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 12:43:17 PM »
I liked this movie. It's a slow burn character study / revenge film, but a lot more going on beneath the surface. I like a lot of Steven Soderbergh directed films, and this one is certainly different. Interesting use of flashbacks / editing -

" Editing

Soderbergh and film editor Sarah Flack utilize a variety of unorthodox editing techniques in The Limey. The film frequently features dialogue and background sound from previous or future scenes juxtaposed with a current scene. Dialogue from one conversation, for instance, may find itself dispersed throughout the film, articulated for the first time long after its chronological moment has passed, as a sort of narrative flashback superimposed over later conversation, to complete a character's thought or punctuate a character's emphasis. Background sound may be disjointed in the film and shifted to enhance another scene by suggesting continuation, similarity, or dissimilarity. For example, Wilson is in a hotel room, and turns on the shower, and then Wilson is in an airplane looking out the window, while the shower can be heard. " The Limey - Wikipedia

Terence Stamp is great in this. I'll have to watch this again with some friends and get their reaction.

Thanks. David! 
You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed it. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2023, 05:09:10 PM »
Watched this again last night with 4 friends that hadn't seen it. Part of this weeks " film noir and single malt " film festival at my house. Everyone liked it. I love the soundtrack. Terance Stamp is great in this. It's really about him grieving the death of his daughter. I can see watching it again. 

" The Limey, now regarded as a classic of modern California noir, has just been released for the first time in the Digital 4K Ultra HD format by Lionsgate to mark the film’s 20th anniversary. The remastering process forced Soderbergh to return to the scene of the crime. He found a movie that is inventive and stylish and filled with terrific performances by the late Peter Fonda, Terence Stamp, Lesley Ann Warren, and Luis Guzmán. "

‘The Limey’ At 20: Steven Soderbergh Revisits His “Vortex Of Terror” – Deadline

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal