AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Pig (2021 - Blu-ray)

Pig (2021 - Blu-ray)
« on: September 30, 2022, 11:14:46 PM »
OK, this is one of the best movies we’ve seen this year.  There, I’ve said it, about a Nicolas Cage movie, and against all odds. 

My Netflix queue is getting pretty low, and we finally got this one in the mail this week.  I had written it off as just another Cage movie, where he plays a typical Nic Cage character, does some crazy weird stuff as the audience giggles and laughs, often unintentionally.  Slightly entertaining, but completely forgotten the second it’s ejected from the player. 

But that’s not what this movie is.

I hesitate to give many details about the plot, since it’s best experienced cold.  Cage plays a hermitic truffle hunter, who’s closest companion (who happens to be a pig) is stolen, and he sets off to find her, setting up the rest of the movie.  What sounds like a silly premise isn’t really treated that way, and the movie is deep enough that it touches on all matter of subjects such as family, expectations, pretense, motivations, subsets of modern society, attachment, and coming to peace, giving the audience plenty to chew on as the film unfolds.  (I can’t believe I just wrote that about a Nicolas Cage movie.)

Sure, Cage’s character has some quirks, but they never distract from the story or call attention to his performance.  The rest of the well-rounded cast do a solid job throughout.  The pace is deliberate, but never drags.  The actors are given space to breathe, giving some depth to what could be considered a number of interesting character studies.

On the technical side, this isn’t exactly demo-worthy material.  Some scenes are (intentionally) brown, gray, and muted.  Sound is occasionally immersive, but not exceptionally so.  Dialog is clear and well-recorded, even when Cage mumbles.  It doesn’t do anything wrong, per se, but doesn’t standout in any regard either. 

This won’t be a movie for everyone, but if you’re looking for something different that the typical Hollywood film, check this one out.  It may very well surprise you, and you may just come away with a new appreciation for Mr. Cage’s talent.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

Re: Pig (2021 - Blu-ray)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 02:55:02 AM »
OK, this is one of the best movies we’ve seen this year.  There, I’ve said it, about a Nicolas Cage movie, and against all odds. 

My Netflix queue is getting pretty low, and we finally got this one in the mail this week.  I had written it off as just another Cage movie, where he plays a typical Nic Cage character, does some crazy weird stuff as the audience giggles and laughs, often unintentionally.  Slightly entertaining, but completely forgotten the second it’s ejected from the player. 

But that’s not what this movie is.

I hesitate to give many details about the plot, since it’s best experienced cold.  Cage plays a hermitic truffle hunter, who’s closest companion (who happens to be a pig) is stolen, and he sets off to find her, setting up the rest of the movie.  What sounds like a silly premise isn’t really treated that way, and the movie is deep enough that it touches on all matter of subjects such as family, expectations, pretense, motivations, subsets of modern society, attachment, and coming to peace, giving the audience plenty to chew on as the film unfolds.  (I can’t believe I just wrote that about a Nicolas Cage movie.)

Sure, Cage’s character has some quirks, but they never distract from the story or call attention to his performance.  The rest of the well-rounded cast do a solid job throughout.  The pace is deliberate, but never drags.  The actors are given space to breathe, giving some depth to what could be considered a number of interesting character studies.

On the technical side, this isn’t exactly demo-worthy material.  Some scenes are (intentionally) brown, gray, and muted.  Sound is occasionally immersive, but not exceptionally so.  Dialog is clear and well-recorded, even when Cage mumbles.  It doesn’t do anything wrong, per se, but doesn’t standout in any regard either. 

This won’t be a movie for everyone, but if you’re looking for something different that the typical Hollywood film, check this one out.  It may very well surprise you, and you may just come away with a new appreciation for Mr. Cage’s talent.

Scott
Scott,

Sounds interesting. I'll have to put it in my watch queue :)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 02:31:20 PM »
We enjoyed this too, with sort of similar expectations going in. I like watching some of the big demo worthy blockbuster type movies, but it's also great to see just a good story without all the extra stuff layered and layered on. 

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 03:40:14 PM »
We enjoyed this too, with sort of similar expectations going in. I like watching some of the big demo worthy blockbuster type movies, but it's also great to see just a good story without all the extra stuff layered and layered on.
Yes, you might consider these kinds of smaller movies as a refreshing break and as palate cleansers.
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2022, 05:16:48 PM »
i agree with both of you...I love explosions and action as much as the next guy, but sometimes a good character-driven film is just what you need to restore your faith in movies. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 02:02:50 PM »
I have this movie - just need to make time to watch it. Mandy too. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal