AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Thor: Love and Thunder (Digital) review

« on: September 19, 2022, 11:23:47 AM »

Studio: Marvel / Disney
Release Date: September 8, 2022 (Digital), September 27, 2022 (Physical)
Rating: PG-13
Film: 3/5

Plot
Marvel Studios’ Thor: Love and Thunder finds the God of Thunder (Chris Hemsworth) on a journey unlike anything he’s ever faced – one of self-discovery. But his efforts are interrupted by a galactic killer known as Gorr the God Butcher (Christian Bale), who seeks the extinction of the gods. To combat the threat, Thor enlists the help of King Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson), Korg (Taika Waititi) and ex-girlfriend Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), who – to Thor’s surprise – inexplicably wields his magical hammer, Mjolnir, as the Mighty Thor. Together, they embark upon a harrowing cosmic adventure to uncover the mystery of the God Butcher’s vengeance and stop him before it’s too late.

My Thoughts
Thus far, the Marvel Universe has delivered mediocre movies after the conclusion of The Avengers: End Game. This is Thor’s fourth standalone movie and while it has its moments, it’s mostly forgettable and falls into the middle of the pack as far as Marvel movies goes. Like the last film, it’s mostly a comedy with some action scenes mixed in. Jane (Natalie Portman) is back and has a good subplot story of her own and I have to say I did like her interactions with Thor—who plays the heartbroken lover part quite well. Who would have thought that a God would be so hung up on a human?

The other standout performance was from Bale, who plays the villain, but at no time did I think he had any chance of success, which is typical for these movies. Maybe I’m on superhero fatigue, but I can’t say I was excited to see this but decided to give the Vudu 4K stream a shot at entertaining me. The A/V was decent for streaming, but I’m sure the disc versions will be a much superior experience.

Conclusion
When I reviewed the last Marvel movie, I commented how they were starting to lose their luster with me and I skipped going to the theater to see this one as well. I can now confirm that with 100% certainty. In fact, I was channel surfing a few days ago and a Marvel movie was playing on one of the channels—I just skipped over it as if it wasn’t there—ouch! While this isn’t a bad movie by any stretch, it’s just not very satisfying and feels like more of the same. Maybe Disney should take a break for a while, but I doubt that will ever happen given the cash cow that Marvel is for their bottom line.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

Re: Thor: Love and Thunder (Digital) review
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 11:40:47 AM »
I reviewed the movie for us when it first came out.  Generally, I agree with Dave, the movies have lost their luster.  Not bad, but nothing to write home about.  Here is my exact review for us.

Thor Love and Thunder

I have not been a “Thor” movie fan, although Thor, during the Marvel Age of Comics (1961-1977) was one of my favorites. Simply, in none of he movies did they ever even try to capture the essence of the original.  While I thought the first movie was “good,” “The Dark World” was barely Sit-throughable, I did enjoy “Ragnarok.”

This movie goes against the basics of the Thor comics and I wrote a blog about it at: https://forbushman.blogspot.com/2022/07/jane-foster-cannot-become-immortal-thor.html

This movie has it ups and downs, sometimes serious, sometimes comical sometimes silly. Often silly.  Christian Bales plays a sympatric villain, one who wants to kill all gods. His reason why is compelling.  And Bales gives the best performance of the movie.

Jane gains the hammer and power of Thor and fights besides him as the try to stop the villain. Sadly, however, the mystic and magical Asgard is gone, it is now a suburb.  I really missed that fantasy.

After much thought I give it a “good” rating, but it belongs between "good" and "sit-throughable.". Although I would not say it was worthy of holding Thor’s hammer! Some of it, especially the ending, was not very good, but silly.

Stay tuned during the credits, there are two clips, one after the credits role.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS3000; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 12:04:58 PM »
I reviewed the movie for us when it first came out.  Generally, I agree with Dave, the movies have lost their luster.  Not bad, but nothing to write home about.  Here is my exact review for us.

Thor Love and Thunder

I have not been a “Thor” movie fan, although Thor, during the Marvel Age of Comics (1961-1977) was one of my favorites. Simply, in none of he movies did they ever even try to capture the essence of the original.  While I thought the first movie was “good,” “The Dark World” was barely Sit-throughable, I did enjoy “Ragnarok.”

This movie goes against the basics of the Thor comics and I wrote a blog about it at: https://forbushman.blogspot.com/2022/07/jane-foster-cannot-become-immortal-thor.html

This movie has it ups and downs, sometimes serious, sometimes comical sometimes silly. Often silly.  Christian Bales plays a sympatric villain, one who wants to kill all gods. His reason why is compelling.  And Bales gives the best performance of the movie.

Jane gains the hammer and power of Thor and fights besides him as the try to stop the villain. Sadly, however, the mystic and magical Asgard is gone, it is now a suburb.  I really missed that fantasy.

After much thought I give it a “good” rating, but it belongs between "good" and "sit-throughable.". Although I would not say it was worthy of holding Thor’s hammer! Some of it, especially the ending, was not very good, but silly.

Stay tuned during the credits, there are two clips, one after the credits role.
Thanks Barry...I tried to find your review on the site, but for some reason, couldn't. My plan was to include it under "Barry's Thoughts," given that you're our resident comic book expert!
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 04:30:38 PM »
Even though this is currently streaming as a Disney+ selection, I just can't fine the enthusiasm to watch it.  Maybe this weekend.

The Marvel movies released since Spider-Man:  Far from Home are part of Phase Four, although I have seen them more appropriately referred to as Phase Bore.  ;)
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS420, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 05:32:26 PM »
Even though this is currently streaming as a Disney+ selection, I just can't fine the enthusiasm to watch it.  Maybe this weekend.

The Marvel movies released since Spider-Man:  Far from Home are part of Phase Four, although I have seen them more appropriately referred to as Phase Bore.  ;)
Totally forgot about Spiderman...that one was one of the best made...ever since then, very forgettable.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 05:34:49 PM by David Vaughn »
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 05:46:48 PM »
I am sure that there will eventually be another good Marvel movie. There’s been like 25 of them and I think we have gotten the best of the best. We are now getting second string characters such as the Eternals and black widow and they are not that interesting. Do they really feel that the new Captain America will be better than the old one?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 06:51:35 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS3000; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 06:34:46 PM »
Feels like Marvel needs to dial back instead of dialing up. MCU has been great for over a decade but feels like it ran its course to some extent. As Barry said, secondary characters now who just aren't as well known or compelling. We've had a lot of content, and it might be too much at this point. Part of it is the arms race of streaming where they want to have constant new content to entice people to subscribe and then stay. But leaving us wanting more would be better than what we are getting currently.

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 06:42:11 PM »
I am sure that there will eventually be another good Marvel movie. There’s been like 25 of them and I think we have gotten the best of the best. We are now getting second string characters such as the internals and black widow and they are not that interesting. Do they really feel that the new Captain America will be better than the old one?
Barry,

I haven't heard of this new show, "The Internals?" Is it about a group of young college co-eds who are interning with The Avengers in hopes of becoming super heroes themselves? Maybe they should name it "The Internals, 90210!" :D :D :D :D :D (Joking of course...I know you meant "The Eternals," but decided to have a little bit of fun.)
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2022, 04:06:37 AM »
I personally loved this movie. The atmos and picture were top notch as well and the bass was awesome 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2022, 10:12:36 AM »
Finally got around to watching this movie with the wife last night.  Neither of us liked it.  If it was just me watching it, I would have turned it off by the half-way point.

Barry nailed it when he called it silly.  It was beyond goofy and felt more like a spoof than a respectful version of a Thor story that comes anywhere close to the comic book version.  The shtick is getting old and formulaic at this point.  Humor has always played a part in Marvel's comics, but not goofy comedy.  Even Jane's fate, which could have been handled with some measure of depth and gravity felt more plot-dictated than a natural part of the story.

It really feels like the whole Marvel cinematic universe is due for some time off and a refresh with new creative talent.

As far as the audio/video quality, the picture looked fine, but I cannot judge the sound.  We watched on Disney+, and there's currently some problems with the app and Nvidia's Shield products, and Disney+ content is limited to stereo output even though the movie shows it's available in Atmos.  >:(

Scott
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS420, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2022, 12:17:34 PM »
Finally got around to watching this movie with the wife last night.  Neither of us liked it.  If it was just me watching it, I would have turned it off by the half-way point.

Barry nailed it when he called it silly.  It was beyond goofy and felt more like a spoof than a respectful version of a Thor story that comes anywhere close to the comic book version.  The shtick is getting old and formulaic at this point.  Humor has always played a part in Marvel's comics, but not goofy comedy.  Even Jane's fate, which could have been handled with some measure of depth and gravity felt more plot-dictated than a natural part of the story.

It really feels like the whole Marvel cinematic universe is due for some time off and a refresh with new creative talent.

As far as the audio/video quality, the picture looked fine, but I cannot judge the sound.  We watched on Disney+, and there's currently some problems with the app and Nvidia's Shield products, and Disney+ content is limited to stereo output even though the movie shows it's available in Atmos.  >:(

Scott
Wow - that's an epic fail on someone's part. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Barry

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 12:45:17 PM »
Most of their new movies are just not as good as the older ones.  They have run out of First rate characters. 

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 12:48:10 PM »
Yes, looks like it's on the Disney side, at least according to Nvidia:

https://i.imgur.com/xo7ct6b.png

It's not as if most of the Disney mixes weren't already on the disappointing side, but now they're only showing up as stereo.  My three-year subscription expires in a few weeks, and I doubt I'll be renewing it.

Scott

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2022, 01:06:09 PM »
Most of their new movies are just not as good as the older ones.  They have run out of First rate characters.
While I was referring to only getting stereo, I concur that I think I'm near the end of the Marvel movie interest - unless Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is good. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2022, 06:55:22 PM »
We watched it tonight, Roku Ultra, Disney+ and did get Atmos. I thought it was good enough for an evening's entertainment.

I am curious if anybody has watched it on 4k UHD Disc. Streaming on Disney+ was fine for the colors, but the resolution didn't seem to have the crispness I normally see and expect with good content. Other streaming content I've watched has often been exceptional, but this one just seemed to be lacking in this regard.

I liked it enough to possibly get it on Disc, and if the Disc provides a superior visual experience, that might be enough to go ahead and get it (found it for under $20 on Ebay).

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal