AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country (4K UHD Blu-ray) review

Studio: Paramount
Release Date: September 6, 2022
Rating: PG
Film: 4.5/5

Plot
After years of war, the Federation and the Klingon empire find themselves on the brink of a peace summit. Before negotiations even begin, a Klingon ship is nearly destroyed, and the apparent attack may be from the Enterprise. Now, the crew must brace for what may be their deadliest encounter. Both the original theatrical cut and the Director’s cut are included.

My Thoughts
I go back and forth on whether this is the second or third best film with the TOS cast. While the Wrath of Khan is definitely #1, this and #4 are pretty much a tie and one wins out over the other based upon my mood. Regardless, this is a very entertaining film and its similar themes to our own Cold War resonate even today.

The concept for the film came from Nimoy and director Nicholas Meyer wrote and directed the film. The casting outside of the core group is also of note and included Christopher Plummer, Rosanna DeSoto, Kim Cattrall, Christian Slater, along with René Auberjonois and Michael Dorn, playing characters outside their roles from Deep Space Nine and The Next Generation. I love the depth of the script with its dramatic moments and just enough suspense and action to keep you on the edge of your seat.

Video 8.5/10

Audio 8.5/10 (Dolby True HD 5.1)

Special Features:
Ultra HD Bonus Features
  • Audio Commentary by Nicholas Meyer and Denny martin Flinn (Theatrical Version)
  • Audio Commentary by Larry Nemechek and Ira Steven Behr (Theatrical Version)
  • Text Commentary by Michael and Denise Okuda (Director’s Cut)

Blu-ray Disc Bonus Features
  • Audio Commentary by Nicholas Meyer and Denny martin
  • Audio Commentary by Larry Nemechek and Ira Steven Behr
  • Library Computer
  • The Perils of Peacemaking
  • Stories from Star Trek VI
  • The Star Trek Universe
  • Farewell to DeForest Kelley: A Tribute
  • Original Cast Interviews
  • production Gallery
  • Storyboards
  • Teaser Trailer
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • 1991 Convention Presentation by Nicholas Meyer
  • Digital Copy

Conclusion
It’s been a blast revisiting these films again. It seems like I only get a chance when they’re re-released on home video, but I look forward to it every time. From a dramatic standpoint, this may be my favorite film with the original cast because the script is so deep and compelling to modern events. Sadly, this was the last time we saw the entire crew together on screen and many of them are no longer with us, but they’ll forever be with us on film and their timeless performances will live forever. Live Long and Prosper, as Spoke would say. Highly recommended.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Dual JL Audio F-110 (stacked and treated as one sub)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 01:30:48 AM by David Vaughn »
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

Re: Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 09:20:06 PM »
‘Second star to the right and straight on till morning.”

The Undiscovered Country, that Shakespeare wrote about, was what happens after death
Loved this movie, the last scene now breaks my heart. Scotty, Uhura, McCoy, Spock, Sarek, and even Christopher Plummer are all gone, they have arrived at their undiscovered country

It was nice to see them in action, one more time.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 11:58:59 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 01:30:26 AM »
‘Second star to the right and straight on till morning.”

The Undiscovered Country, that Shakespeare wrote about, was what happens after death
Loved this movie, the last scene now breaks my heart. Scotty, Uhura, McCoy, Spock, Sarek, and even Christopher Plummer are all gone, they have arrived at their undiscovered country

It was nice to see them in action, one more time.
I couldn't agree more Barry. The ending of the film almost feels like a eulogy to the departed. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 12:20:48 PM »
Haven't seen that in a long time. That ending scene brought a tear to my eye, very bittersweet to watch.

Also, in the trailer in the review - at :37-38 I initially thought the Klingon officer there really looked like Charles Dance but it's David Warner, who also passed this year. He had some nice roles including a nice single ep one in another SF favorite of mine, Babylon 5.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal