Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (UHD Blu-ray) review

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: August 12, 2022, 08:05:41 PM »

Studio: Paramount
Release Date: August 9, 2022
Rating: PG
Film: 3/5

Plot
After settling in Green Hills, Sonic (Ben Schwartz) is eager to prove he has what it takes to be a true hero. His test comes when Dr. Robotnik (Jim Carrey) returns, this time with a new partner, Knuckles (Idris Elba), in search of an emerald that has the power to destroy civilizations. Sonic teams up with his own sidekick, Tails (Colleen O’Shaughnessey), and together they embark on a globe-trotting journey to find the emerald before it falls into the wrong hands.

My Thoughts
I enjoyed the first Sonic film much more than I anticipated and I had decent hopes for the second. I have to tell you, for the first 30 minutes of the film I was regretting my decision to request a review copy. Thankfully, it improves as it goes along and while it isn’t a great film—even for a kids movie—it has its moments. My main complaint is it’s much too long at 122 minutes and I could see the young ones losing interest towards the end.

Frankly, put me in that boat as well. A couple of the subplots could have been dropped very easily, which would have taken a good 30 minutes off the film and made it the perfect length.

I will say this, the film looks amazing in HDR and the Dolby Atmos track is active and falls into the Kick-Ass category. Seriously, the bass in the film is off the charts and digs deep, plays loud, and is a pure crowd pleaser. While I can’t really seeing myself watching the film a second time, I will use a few of the chapters as demo sequences when I’m reviewing subwoofers.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
  • Audio Commentary
  • Animated Short: Sonic Drone Home
  • Deleted/Extended Scenes
  • Bloobers
  • Music Video
  • Finding Your Team
  • The Powerful Puncher: Knuckles
  • Rapid Fire Responses with ben Schwartz
  • Robotnik Reimagined
  • A Sibling for Sonic: Tails

Conclusion
While the story is mostly forgettable due to extraneous unneeded subplots, the core action of the film is enjoyable and the A/V quality is excellent. If you enjoyed the first you’ll probably find something to like in this one, but it doesn’t have the same passion or heart as the initial installment in the franchise. Recommended for fans and for people who love LFE…lots and lots of LFE!

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Dual JL Audio F-110 (stacked and treated as one sub)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

Re: Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 09:52:21 PM »
David, I have both a niece and nephew who are six- seven years old. The love Peter Pan and Surf’s Up. Can you suggest a few movies that they may like?
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 12:48:24 AM »
David, I have both a niece and nephew who are six- seven years old. The love Peter Pan and Surf’s Up. Can you suggest a few movies that they may like?
Anything from Pixar :)

The Minion movies are cute as well. Frankly, anything animated these days caters to kids pretty well (except for Sausage Party...do NOT show that to the kids ;)). These Sonic movies are cute...my neighbor's grand kids (same age as your niece and nephew) loved both Sonic movies. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 09:00:11 AM »
Completely agree w this. First one was awesome. This one a little long and dragged out. But still fun. And great presentation 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 02:49:22 PM »
Greetings,

Nice review Dave. I agree. I had some fun with this but, it comes up short when compared to the first.

Regards,

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 05:54:44 PM »
Greetings,

Nice review Dave. I agree. I had some fun with this but, it comes up short when compared to the first.

Regards,
Ralph...but the bass response was SOOOO GOOD! Who cares about the quality of the movie! I just want another demo to use :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal