The Lost City (UHD Blu-ray) review

The Lost City (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: July 21, 2022, 06:59:05 PM »

Studio: Paramount
Release Date: July 26, 2022
Rating: PG-13
Film: 3.5/5

Plot
Loretta Sage’s (Sandra Bullock) novels are filled with ancient tombs and daring adventures, but that doesn’t mean she’s prepared for them in real life. When she is kidnapped by an eccentric billionaire (Daniel Radcliffe) to locate a legendary lost city, Loretta’s handsome cover model, Alan (Channing Tatum), sets off on a heroic but hapless rescue mission. Thrust into an epic thrill-ride through the jungle, the unlikely pair must work together to survive the elements, and survive each other, to find the city’s fabled treasure before it’s lost forever.

My Thoughts
I’ve always seem to enjoy films that star Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum impressed me with Dog earlier this year, so I was intrigued to see the two of them onscreen together. In all honestly, this one wasn’t very good for the first 15 minutes or so and took quite a while to pick up steam. Thankfully, once it gets rolling it ends up being quite enjoyable with plenty of LOL moments, especially when a surprise supporting actor shows up who I wasn’t expecting to see in the film since he didn’t get top billing (like he usually would).

While the film doesn’t break any new ground for the genre, the chemistry between Tatum and Bullock is very good and despite their age differences (Bullock is 16 years older), you would be hard-pressed to tell unless you do some investigation (as I did). Bullock seems to have had a ton of work done on her face, which I find to be a bit much, and Tatum is in fantastic shape for a guy in his early forties. While the story is far-fetched, both my wife and I enjoyed it a lot and it’s some thing that we could definitely watch a second time.

The presentation is well done and the backdrop of the Dominical Republic, where the film was shot, certainly helps. The majority of the film is in well-lit natural landscapes and they shine in 4K.  Furthermore, Bullock is in a purple sequin dress for most of the movie and the walking disco ball look highlights her figure as well as the finer detail that 4K brings to the table. The Dolby Atmos track is just as impressive as the video. It’s very dynamic, features a rich soundtrack, and offers up some great scenes with copious amounts of LFE, especially in the third act.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Bloopers
  • Dynamic Duo
  • Location Profile
  • Jungle Rescue
  • The Jumpsuit
  • Charcuterie
  • The Villains of The Lost City
  • Building The Lost City
  • UHD + Digital Code

Conclusion
If you’re looking for a good laugh and don’t mind suspending believe for a couple of hours, then definitely check this one out. It’s a fun romantic comedy with some fun action sequences. The two stars work well together and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a sequel one day given it brought in over $190 million in box-office receipts around the world ($105 million domestically).

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Dual JL Audio F-110 (stacked and treated as one sub)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: The Lost City (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 08:31:17 PM »
Gonna have to check this out. Thanks!
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 12:06:15 AM »
It's been on my list to watch soon. Glad to hear it picks up after a slow start - I'd rather a movie start slow than end poorly.

And good for Bullock for "flipping the script" on the usual age discrepancy. I've always liked her.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 04:54:36 PM »
Greetings,

I agree Dave. I had fun with this one as well...

Regards,

Barry

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 08:23:50 PM »
It is on Paramount+. We intend to see if this weekend. Again David thanks for the review!
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 08:52:27 PM »
Greetings,

I agree Dave. I had fun with this one as well...

Regards,
Thanks for chiming in!
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2022, 08:52:41 PM »
It is on Paramount+. We intend to see if this weekend. Again David thanks for the review!
Let me know what you think Barry.
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2022, 11:27:15 AM »
I might have to add this to my Black Friday list of discs to pick up. Thanks David.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Barry

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 02:33:25 PM »
Let me know what you think Barry.
     I saw the movie which is on Paramount Plus as well as Starz.  The movie attempts to remake many things including Jewel on the Nile, Raiders of the Lost Arc and Sandra Bullock’s face.

Once again, as I mentioned in “Marry Me,” there is a woman in her 50s playing a woman in their thirties in a rom-com.  I noticed the amount of stunt doubles and the length of Bullock’s hair which often covered her face so we don’t know it’s a stunt double.  And she wears a skin tight dress and later finds an excuse to wear high heels in the jungle.  (She must have spoken with Bryce Howard of Jurassic World.)

No wonder she announced this year that she is giving up acting.   She cannot play a woman her age, not that there are that many parts for that. But she is a producer. And yes, it is true the same does not hold true for men. (I remember Sean Connery with Catherine Zeta Jones in Entrapment.)

You do have to leave your brains at the door and sit back and enjoy the chemistry of the two stars. We found the movie, especially in the first hour, to be less funny and more silly.  The plot has been recycled so many times, there is nothing original here. Even the first waterfall we have seen a dozen times. (The first time, I think, in “Breaking Away.”)

The second hour is occasionally funny, but there is no suspense as a lot of people get killed, mostly bad guys.  Definitely a “sit-throughable” rating, I was a bit disappointed.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 02:36:55 PM »
    I saw the movie which is on Paramount Plus as well as Starz.  The movie attempts to remake many things including Jewel on the Nile, Raiders of the Lost Arc and Sandra Bullock’s face.

Once again, as I mentioned in “Marry Me,” there is a woman in her 50s playing a woman in their thirties in a rom-com.  I noticed the amount of stunt doubles and the length of Bullock’s hair which often covered her face so we don’t know it’s a stunt double.  And she wears a skin tight dress and later finds an excuse to wear high heels in the jungle.  (She must have spoken with Bryce Howard of Jurassic World.)

No wonder she announced this year that she is giving up acting.  She cannot play a woman her age, not that there are that many parts for that. But she is a producer. And yes, it is true the same does not hold true for men. (I remember Sean Connery with Catherine Zeta Jones in Entrapment.)

You do have to leave your brains at the door and sit back and enjoy the chemistry of the two stars. We found the movie, especially in the first hour, to be less funny and more silly.  The plot has been recycled so many times, there is nothing original here. Even the first waterfall we have seen a dozen times. (The first time, I think, in “Breaking Away.”)

The second hour is occasionally funny, but there is no suspense as a lot of people get killed, mostly bad guys.  Definitely a “sit-throughable” rating, I was a bit disappointed.
Barry....what about Brad Pitt? He was the star of the show! You can't tell me you didn't LOL when he came into the picture! 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 03:10:23 PM »
That was a surprise and it was a surprise at the end too!

Barry

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 03:51:09 PM »
David, You have actually brought up an interesting point. How do you review a movie when you like only half of it? For example I like the first half of the James Bond movie die another Day. But I didn’t like the second half. Here, I didn’t particularly like the first half but the second part was watchable. Perhaps, without your review, I would’ve stopped watching the movie before I got to the end. But I have seen a lot of movies like that. I tend to call them sit throughable.

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2022, 04:04:29 PM »
David, You have actually brought up an interesting point. How do you review a movie when you like only half of it? For example I like the first half of the James Bond movie die another Day. But I didn’t like the second half. Here, I didn’t particularly like the first half but the second part was watchable. Perhaps, without your review, I would’ve stopped watching the movie before I got to the end. But I have seen a lot of movies like that. I tend to call them sit throughable.
Barry, the vast majority of "new" films are just "sit-throughable." Quality films are so hard to come by these days, which makes films like "The Duke" that much more enjoyable (as well as "Belfast," a film I finally got to see last week--it's excellent). For the most part, I try and take them for what they are--mindless entertainment and don't get too emotionally invested either way. I'm just looking for the escape. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2022, 06:57:02 AM »
I am out of town but have this lined up

FYI I thought Belfast was terrible. 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2022, 10:56:39 AM »
I am out of town but have this lined up

FYI I thought Belfast was terrible.
Really? You're the first who I've heard that didn't like it. My wife and I loved it!
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal