AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Thor: Love and Thunder

Barry

Thor: Love and Thunder
« on: July 13, 2022, 07:49:00 PM »
    Thor Love and Thunder

I have not been a “Thor” movie fan, although Thor, during the Marvel Age of Comics (1961-1977) was one of my favorites. Simply, in none of he movies did they ever even try to capture the essence of the original.  While I thought the first movie was “good,” “The Dark World” was barely Sit-throughable, I did enjoy “Ragnarok.”

This movie goes against the basics of the Thor comics and I wrote a blog about it at: https://forbushman.blogspot.com/2022/07/jane-foster-cannot-become-immortal-thor.html

This movie has it ups and downs, sometimes serious, sometimes comical sometimes silly. Often silly.  Christian Bales plays a sympatric villain, one who wants to kill all gods. His reason why is compelling.  And Bales gives the best performance of the movie.

Jane gains the hammer and power of Thor and fights besides him as the try to stop the villain. Sadly, however, the mystic and magical Asgard is gone, it is now a suburb.  I really missed that fantasy.

After much thought I give it a “good” rating, but it belongs between "good" and "sit-throughable.". Although I would not say it was worthy of holding Thor’s hammer! Some of it, especially the ending, was not very good, but silly.

Stay tuned during the credits, there are two clips, one after the credits role.

Ratings Scale
Really Bad
BAD
Sit-throughable
Good
Very Good
Great

« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 12:15:57 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: Thor: Love and Thunder
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 08:12:37 PM »
Barry, I saw this Monday night. I'm not very conversant with the comics overall though.

I had a tough time with this one. It went too far into silly at times, and at the wrong time too sometimes. I thought thematically, Bale's story was under utilized and developed. Had a long discussion with a couple of friends afterwards . Both had seen it before me, and one mentioned reading that there were 11 hours of footage filmed. We basically agreed that it felt like a lot of the problem may have been editing, as it just wasn't focused into a very coherent movie. A fun scene stitched with a few more doesn't make a movie.

So it was enjoyable a lot of times, and fun to some extent, but just not a great movie or well told story. This is one of the Marvel movies that I would most like to see an extended edition of, though, as I feel like there was some good material left out of this somewhere - like Batman Vs Superman, and extended version could round it out well.

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 08:17:46 PM »
BTW... I've been dying for them to feature Manowar's "Thor (The Powerhead)" in one of the movies. While I like Guns & Roses, this would fit so great at some point.

Thor the mighty, Thor the brave
Crush the infidels in your way
By your hammer let non be saved
Live to die on that final day
Gods monsters and men
Will die together in the end

Barry

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 08:18:11 PM »
Barry, I saw this Monday night. I'm not very conversant with the comics overall though.

I had a tough time with this one. It went too far into silly at times, and at the wrong time too sometimes. I thought thematically, Bale's story was under utilized and developed. Had a long discussion with a couple of friends afterwards . Both had seen it before me, and one mentioned reading that there were 11 hours of footage filmed. We basically agreed that it felt like a lot of the problem may have been editing, as it just wasn't focused into a very coherent movie. A fun scene stitched with a few more doesn't make a movie.

So it was enjoyable a lot of times, and fun to some extent, but just not a great movie or well told story. This is one of the Marvel movies that I would most like to see an extended edition of, though, as I feel like there was some good material left out of this somewhere - like Batman Vs Superman, and extended version could round it out well.

Paul, I think we are on the same page. It was too silly, as I also mentioned. And I agree it was not a "great movie or a well told story." But it was "sit-throughable" at times and sometimes good. But it certainly could have been better. Not up to "Spider-Man No Way Home Standards"
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 10:10:17 PM »
I'll wait to see it at home. Sorry Disney, no money from me on this one :)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 11:54:22 PM »
Thanks guys for the reviews. I heard too many mixed reviews on this and most were on the bad side.. I will wait for this one for home viewing later once available.
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 02:12:39 PM »
I want to see it but I will wait until it hits Blu-ray. My sound is better, my seating is comfier, I don't have to deal with people's phones lighting up, COVIDPox...... Oh, and my snacks are better. ;)

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 12:46:31 PM »
I'm starting to think that it's time for me to stay put with the Marvel movies I have. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Barry

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 07:44:03 PM »
I want to see it but I will wait until it hits Blu-ray. My sound is better, my seating is comfier, I don't have to deal with people's phones lighting up, COVIDPox...... Oh, and my snacks are better. ;)
I still like going to the theatre.  I go a Dolby one, with great picture, sound and reclining seats.  I bring my own rasinets because I like them frozen!  However, I do need a PAUSE button when the movie is longer than 2 hours.  Theere is a small room I need to visit.

Barry

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 07:56:05 PM »
I'm starting to think that it's time for me to stay put with the Marvel movies I have.
    Sigh.

I think I am suffering from “Marvel Fatigue.”  First, because of covid delays, instead of getting two or so  movies a year we have gotten Spider-Man, Black Widow, The Eternals, Chang Chi, Dr. Strange, and Thor in seven months!!! And soon Black Panther and Ant-Man 3.

I know of no other franchise that has released 28 films in just 13 years.  It took Bond 60 years to release just 25.

It’s too much by a lot.  And let’s face it, they are no longer unique, we have seen so much of this before. The Best characters have already been brought to the screen and we are seeing either a less original sequel or a second tier character at the is point.  (I did really like the last Spider-Man.)

It might interest you to know that the Black Widow, Eternals, and Ant-Man never had long, successful, comic book runs.

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2022, 08:19:50 PM »
    Sigh.

I think I am suffering from “Marvel Fatigue.”  First, because of covid delays, instead of getting two or so  movies a year we have gotten Spider-Man, Black Widow, The Eternals, Chang Chi, Dr. Strange, and Thor in seven months!!! And soon Black Panther and Ant-Man 3.

I know of no other franchise that has released 28 films in just 13 years.  It took Bond 60 years to release just 25.

It’s too much by a lot.  And let’s face it, they are no longer unique, we have seen so much of this before. The Best characters have already been brought to the screen and we are seeing either a less original sequel or a second tier character at the is point.  (I did really like the last Spider-Man.)

It might interest you to know that the Black Widow, Eternals, and Ant-Man never had long, successful, comic book runs.
At some point one of these are going to bomb, and bomb badly, which will hopefully make Disney hit the pause button. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2022, 09:29:45 AM »
I doubt they will ever bomb. Too many fanatics out there
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 10:49:54 AM »
I still like going to the theatre.  I go a Dolby one, with great picture, sound and reclining seats.  I bring my own rasinets because I like them frozen!  However, I do need a PAUSE button when the movie is longer than 2 hours.  Theere is a small room I need to visit.
Sadly, my closest theater is about 20 miles away and not worth going to as it hasn't been updated. 

As for the Rasinets..........I'm surprised that they don't search you before you enter. Gotta' clamp down on that contraband in the theater. ::)

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2022, 11:21:24 AM »
    Sigh.

I think I am suffering from “Marvel Fatigue.”  First, because of covid delays, instead of getting two or so  movies a year we have gotten Spider-Man, Black Widow, The Eternals, Chang Chi, Dr. Strange, and Thor in seven months!!! And soon Black Panther and Ant-Man 3.

I loved Black Panther and both Ant Man movies, but if understanding the plot points require having seen every new movie besides those and the Marvel series on streaming services to know what's going on, I'm not playing. If they work as standalone movie's and are really good, I'm in. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

bmoney

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2022, 11:33:26 AM »
It IS cool to see how the movies intertwine tho. And he references to the other movies. Pretty ingenious 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Go Up