Edge of Tomorrow (UHD Blu-ray) review

Edge of Tomorrow (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: July 05, 2022, 10:58:37 PM »

Studio: Warner
Release Date: July 5, 2022
Rating: PG-13
Film: 4.5/5

Plot
Major William Cage (Cruise) is an officer who has never seen a day of combat when he is unceremoniously dropped into what amounts to a suicide mission. Killed within minutes, Cage now finds himself inexplicably thrown into a time loop—forcing him to live out the same brutal combat over and over, fighting and dying again…and again. But with each battle, Cage becomes able to engage the adversaries with increasing skill, alongside Special Forces warrior Rita Vrataski (Blunt). And, as Cage and Rita take the fight to the aliens, each repeated encounter gets them one step closer to defeating the enemy.

My Thoughts
How this movie only did $100 million at the box office is beyond me because frankly, it’s one of the best sci-fi movies this century, and I’m not exaggerating. While the story doesn’t contain a deep narrative, it’s one hell of a ride and entertaining from start to finish. What could have been a repetitive bore was anything but, as director Doug Liman is able to keep each pass through the time loop fresh and interesting. I’ve always been a fan of Cruise and he’s quite good here and Emily Blunt is not only sexy as can be, she kicks some serious ass as well.

This is the third home video release for the film—the original, a 3D reimaging, and now a UHD. The video quality is excellent, but it had a great image on Blu-ray, so it didn’t have much that needed improvement. The 4K has slightly better fine detail and while I did notice the occasional HDR effect, but it’s not earth-shattering.

I was worried that the Atmos upmix would ruin the reference DTS-HD MA 7.1 track that’s found on the previous two releases. The sine wave to start the film has been tamed down a bit, which is probably a good thing since the original mix could blow out your speakers if played too loudly. Also, the distortion in the center channel is now gone, so while it doesn’t quite go as deep during this sequence, it sounds cleaner and clearer.

From this point on, the bass is definitely truncated versus the DTS track, but in all honesty, if you didn’t have the ability to listen to the two side by side, you’d be hard pressed to know that anything is “missing.”  What the Atmos track gives up in infrasonic bass, it comes close to make up for it with the immersion aspect.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
  • Operation Downfall - Adrenaline Cut
  • Storming The Beach
  • Weapons Of The Future
  • Creatures Not Of This World
  • On The Edge With Doug Liman
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
Whoever did the marketing for this film better have been fired because there’s no way this film shouldn’t have blown out the box office when it was released in 2014. Sadly, it did less than 100 million and was beaten out by of all things, Transformers: Age of Extinction, a simply horrible film. Like the previous Blu-ray releases, the audio track kicks some serious ass and while not perfect, the 4K presentation doesn’t disappoint. When I get a chance, I’ll do some frequency graphs with REW to show the comparisons between the two tracks for those who are interested.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Dual JL Audio F-110 (stacked and treated as one sub)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Edge of Tomorrow (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 11:25:35 PM »
I really enjoyed this when I saw it on the 3D Blu-ray several years ago. 

Cruise is one of those performers who I kind of hate to admit are consistently really good and also generally very good at picking movies to make. Like the jazz pianist Chick Corea (and other celebs), Cruise's Scientology membership, support and advocacy is a major blight for me but their work is incredibly good.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 01:53:10 AM »
I really enjoyed this when I saw it on the 3D Blu-ray several years ago.

Cruise is one of those performers who I kind of hate to admit are consistently really good and also generally very good at picking movies to make. Like the jazz pianist Chick Corea (and other celebs), Cruise's Scientology membership, support and advocacy is a major blight for me but their work is incredibly good.
Couldn't agree more. I try to enjoy the work and not worry about what they do when they are off camera. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 08:33:07 AM »
Such an awesome film. 

If you BEQ you lose nothing in terms of bass :)
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 12:32:53 PM »
The problem I have is that most of the movies I watch are review copies and the BEQ files aren't available until after the movie is released, which really don't help me. Also, I have to comment on how the actual disc audio is, not its altered form. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 12:39:41 PM »
My copy arrives today, along with a pile of other movies! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

bmoney

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 02:22:58 PM »
The problem I have is that most of the movies I watch are review copies and the BEQ files aren't available until after the movie is released, which really don't help me. Also, I have to comment on how the actual disc audio is, not its altered form.
Actually not true. Normally (especially with big realeases) the BEQ is available well before the street date. I think they use review copies as well ;)

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

bmoney

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 02:23:59 PM »
But I understand about having to report on the disc levels 

Was just commenting how all things can be fixed with a little futzing around ;)

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2022, 01:20:06 AM »
I just watched a bit of this tonight. There is still plenty of bass wallop at the beginning - enough to make the cats run for their lives in my house! 

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2022, 01:36:25 AM »
I just watched a bit of this tonight. There is still plenty of bass wallop at the beginning - enough to make the cats run for their lives in my house!
Did you compare it to the Blu-ray? They may run away from home :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2022, 08:18:07 AM »
The beginning scares me every time. Not cause it’s unexpected. Just the whole house wobbles lol

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2022, 07:00:28 PM »
Did you compare it to the Blu-ray? They may run away from home :)
I did not, but on my system it's not lacking any low end punch. The room doesn't need to shudder any more than it does with the new 4K disc. I don't need to blow up subs to enjoy a movie ( blew one on " The Dark Knight Rises " once - smelled electrical smoke ).:-X

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal