Studio: Shout Factory
 Release Date: June 21, 2022
 Rating: PG-13
 Film:  4/5

Plot
 Six men saw it. 
One man became a prisoner inside it.
But who would believe them?

In 1975, logger Travis Walton (D.B. Sweeney, Hear No Evil, Eight Men Out) and his co-workers encountered a UFO. His pals were able to flee — but Walton was not so lucky. Whisked aboard the strange craft, he was subjected to a painful, unearthly medical study. Fire in the Sky is the amazing tale of that ordeal … and of the contempt and ridicule endured by Walton and his friends as they tried to convince others of this otherworldly experience.

My Thoughts
As a sci-fi fan, I have no idea how I missed this film when it was released in 1993. Regardless, when I saw the press release, I just knew I had to see it. Even going in with high expectations, both my wife and I enjoyed it thoroughly. It’s part mystery, part thriller, and it had us on the edge of our seats the entire time as it built to a thrilling conclusion. In the end you’ll be wondering whether it’s real or not?

My personal feelings is that I’m really not sure what to believe. There definitely is a profit motive in play for the men, but to keep all of them on the same page for all of these years leads credence that it may have really happened. Furthermore, when you see all of the videos being released by the Department of Defense, it does make one wonder if there are other lifeforms visiting the Earth. Mathematically speaking, the odds of us being the only intelligent life in the galaxy is pretty damn slim. Then again, when you look at our politicians, I’m not sure people from outer space would consider us intelligent. Just sayin’.

Another enjoyable aspect to the film was the cast, which had a lot of familiar faces such as Robert Patrick (Terminator 2), Henry Thomas (E.T.), and James Garner (The Rockford Files). Furthermore, the film was nominated for four Saturn Awards: Best Science Fiction Film, Best Writing, Best Music and Best Actor (Robert Patrick).

The overall presentation is quite good. The film received a brand new 4K scan and the video quality is outstanding. Grain is kept intact and the detail is mesmerizing. There are a few scenes that have some crushed details, but overall I commend the studio on a phenomenal restoration job. The audio is presented only in stereo, but with Neural:X engaged on my processor, you’d be hard pressed to know otherwise.

Video 4.5/5 (AVC)

Audio 3.5/5 (DTS-HD MA 2.0)

Special Features:
  • Interview with Director Robert Lieberman
  • Interview with Actor D.B. Sweeney
  • Interview With Actor Robert Patrick
  • Interview with Composer Mark Isham
  • Photo Gallery
  • Theatrical Trailer

Conclusion
 Did it happen? I don’t know, but I do know that the film that’s based on the supposedly true story is captivating to watch. I was shocked to see the middling reviews on RT, but to each their own. My wife and I had a great time and it’s something we’ll recommend to friends and family to watch. Throw in the great video restoration and this one is easy to recommend.    

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
JL Audio F110 (X2 co-located and bridged as one sub)
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Fire in the Sky (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 04:02:04 PM »
I don't think I've seen this either. Thanks - I might have to pick this up.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 07:41:36 PM »
I haven't seen this movie since it came out, but remember enjoying it quite a bit at the time.  I'll have to keep an eye out for it when it goes on sale.

For what it's worth, one of the former members on the AVS forum knew Walton (or knew someone who knew him), and was 100% convinced the whole story was BS.

That doesn't really matter to me; I'm just looking for a good story, not a documentary, and it was pretty good in that regard.

For anyone that liked this one, you might also be interested in The Fourth Kind.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 07:51:54 PM »
I haven't seen this movie since it came out, but remember enjoying it quite a bit at the time.  I'll have to keep an eye out for it when it goes on sale.

For what it's worth, one of the former members on the AVS forum knew Walton (or knew someone who knew him), and was 100% convinced the whole story was BS.

That doesn't really matter to me; I'm just looking for a good story, not a documentary, and it was pretty good in that regard.

For anyone that liked this one, you might also be interested in The Fourth Kind.

Scott
Odds are it's total BS, but you never know ;)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 10:47:05 PM »
Then there is this - “Communion” (1989) Alien abduction entered the mainstream with “Communion,” the supposedly true story of author Whitley Strieber (played in the movie by a superb Christopher Walken), who is abducted by “visitors” while on vacation.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal