AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Great Movies

Barry

Great Movies
« on: June 27, 2022, 02:03:38 PM »
On typing my comments on the Godfather movies I really put them in the great category. But I thought a moment about what the word “great” means to me.  Forgetting about the reviews what movies have I watched and then said “Hey this is great.” When people talk about great movies they have to round off the number. Like there could only be 10, 15, 20 or 25 movies that are great. There cannot be 17. Or 22.

And there movies that I consider great at certain times of my life. So what would your list be? What were the movies you saw and then afterwards said “Great even though they may not compare to Citizen Kane.”

My List

2001 A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
A Christmas Story
All That Jazz
Airplane
Annie Hall
Bandwagon
Barry Lyndon
Best Years of our Lives
Blade Runner (Final Cut)
Blazing Saddles
Bride of Frankenstein
Cabaret
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
Dark City
Duck Soup
E.T.
Fantasia
Field of Dreams
Forbidden Planet
Frankenstein
From Russia with Love
Full Metal Jacket
Godfather I and II
Goldfinger
Goodfellas
It’s a Wonderful Life
Jaws
Lawrence of Arabia
Manhattan
North By Northwest
On Her Majesty’s Secret Service
Princess Bride
Raging Bull
Raiders of the Lost Arc
Schindler’s List
Singing in the Rain
Snow White (Disney)
Pinocchio
Spider-Man: No Way Home
Superman I and II (Donner Editions)
Terminator II
The Maltese Falcon
The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
The Shawshank Redemption
The Third Man
To Kill a Mockingbird
Toy Story I and II
Umbrellas of Cherbourg
When Harry Met Sally
Wizard of Oz
Young Frankenstein

« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 05:39:23 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Great Movies
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 02:34:02 PM »
Great list. I'll need to think about mine. Your list reminds me - I finally got around to watching The Shawshank Redemption on 4K last week - I had forgotten 99% of that movie - it had been years since I saw it. Fantastic film, and the 4K version looks outstanding.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Barry

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 03:02:02 PM »
Great list. I'll need to think about mine. Your list reminds me - I finally got around to watching The Shawshank Redemption on 4K last week - I had forgotten 99% of that movie - it had been years since I saw it. Fantastic film, and the 4K version looks outstanding.
That is a great movie.  I too saw it recently in 4K.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 03:21:06 PM »
What's your view on The Princess Bride? Rewatched that recently and it's still such a classic with so many memorable and quotable lines. Leaving it off the list seems almost... ::)

Barry

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 03:33:02 PM »
What's your view on The Princess Bride? Rewatched that recently and it's still such a classic with so many memorable and quotable lines. Leaving it off the list seems almost... ::)
Please look at the list. It is there, without the "The"

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 04:01:56 PM »
Please look at the list. It is there, without the "The"
Ah, sorry obviously missed it, scanning quickly. Thanks!

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 05:13:57 PM »
Here is my list, and it's difficult to make such a list with as many great movies as I have - 

2001 A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Amelie’
Arrival
Blade Runner (Final Cut)
A Beautiful Mind
Ben Hur ( 1959 )
Breathless ( 1960 )
Casablanca
Cleopatra
Cloud Atlas
Come And See
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Eastern Promises
Full Metal Jacket
Goldfinger
Her
The Imitation Game
La La Land
Lawrence of Arabia
The Matrix
Michael Clayton
Pan’s Labyrinth
Patton
The Pianist
Princess Bride
The Revenant
Singing in the Rain
The Shawshank Redemption
The Social Network
The Ten Commandments
Whiplash
The Wizard of Oz
Young Frankenstein

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 05:46:49 PM »
One period piece that I saw as a kid and was amazed by at the theater since it had intermission was Gandhi.
That movie is a great movie.

Another movie but this is more a documentary that I thought was great was Ali against Foreman in
"The Rumble in the Jungle" which was documented in the movie When We Were Kings. Highly recommended.

Folks here may not have seen much anime but there are a lot of great animated films from Japan worth seeing..
Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies, Your Name, Princess Mononoke, etc.. (too many to mention). :)

As for comedy, Monty Python movies are great comedy.

A great drama action movie is the classic Seven Samurai which was then made into John Sturges’s The Magnificent Seven and Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight.

In terms of great westerns, check out the following -> The Searchers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Unforgiven 

« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 06:30:17 PM by tripplej »
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 06:34:57 PM »
A couple movies not on the lists:

Wind River (one of the best movies in the past 5 years) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5362988/

It should have won an Oscar, but Weinstein produced it and 2017/2018 was the height of the "Me Too" movement...anything he touched became a cancer. It was written/directed by Taylor Sheridan (Yellowstone).

Black Book (released in 2005):  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389557/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Outstanding historical film about the Dutch resistance (subtitled film). Another fantastic movie written/directed by Paul Verheoeven (Robocop, Total Recall, Basic Instinct).

If you haven't seen these two movies, do yourself a favor and watch them. You won't regret it.
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 06:58:28 PM »
A couple movies not on the lists:

Wind River (one of the best movies in the past 5 years) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5362988/

It should have won an Oscar, but Weinstein produced it and 2017/2018 was the height of the "Me Too" movement...anything he touched became a cancer. It was written/directed by Taylor Sheridan (Yellowstone).

Black Book (released in 2005):  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389557/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Outstanding historical film about the Dutch resistance (subtitled film). Another fantastic movie written/directed by Paul Verheoeven (Robocop, Total Recall, Basic Instinct).

If you haven't seen these two movies, do yourself a favor and watch them. You won't regret it.
I have both of those - Black Book is one of my wife's favorite films. I love Wind River and have it in my mental " watch again soon " list. I had to triage my list or it would get rather long. I own a lot of movies I consider great - hard to know where to draw that line.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 07:00:18 PM »
One period piece that I saw as a kid and was amazed by at the theater since it had intermission was Gandhi.
That movie is a great movie.

Another movie but this is more a documentary that I thought was great was Ali against Foreman in
"The Rumble in the Jungle" which was documented in the movie When We Were Kings. Highly recommended.

Folks here may not have seen much anime but there are a lot of great animated films from Japan worth seeing..
Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies, Your Name, Princess Mononoke, etc.. (too many to mention). :)

As for comedy, Monty Python movies are great comedy.

A great drama action movie is the classic Seven Samurai which was then made into John Sturges’s The Magnificent Seven and Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight.

In terms of great westerns, check out the following -> The Searchers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Unforgiven
I need to watch Gandhi - I have it on 4K even. I'm backed up and behind on movies to watch - and I don't even stream. I'm still always 20 movies behind! 

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2022, 07:06:40 PM »
An older one and a newer one on my list of movies that I really loved. Both of these are a pretty good choice for a July 4th movie watch.

The Right Stuff - preceding some of the later Apollo based movies and focusing on the prior Mercury program, this is a little bit long but to me was just fantastic in portraying the story of what those early astronauts went through and achieved. 

Ford vs Ferrari - I was only marginally aware of this history, mainly due to a friend who has a treasured Shelby Cobra, one of the last made while Carroll Shelby was still around. My wife isn't a fan of fast cars but she joined in a few minutes into this and loved it. It's just a great story, told well, with some thrills in the mix. 

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2022, 07:27:55 PM »
An older one and a newer one on my list of movies that I really loved. Both of these are a pretty good choice for a July 4th movie watch.

The Right Stuff - preceding some of the later Apollo based movies and focusing on the prior Mercury program, this is a little bit long but to me was just fantastic in portraying the story of what those early astronauts went through and achieved.

Ford vs Ferrari - I was only marginally aware of this history, mainly due to a friend who has a treasured Shelby Cobra, one of the last made while Carroll Shelby was still around. My wife isn't a fan of fast cars but she joined in a few minutes into this and loved it. It's just a great story, told well, with some thrills in the mix.
Both great movies. I love the audio track on Ford vs Ferrari as well..that's an added bonus :D
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2022, 08:29:07 PM »
Very interesting comments. I have just put wind River on Netflix I will watch it now and let you know

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2022, 08:59:53 PM »
Very interesting comments. I have just put wind River on Netflix I will watch it now and let you know
Curious for your thoughts Barry. Pay attention to the editing, which is fantastic as well. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal