Dog (Blu-ray) review

Dog (Blu-ray) review
« on: May 06, 2022, 10:39:56 AM »

Studio: Warner Brothers
 Release Date: May 10, 2022
 Rating: PG-13
 Film:  4/5

Plot
 Dog is a buddy comedy that follows the misadventures of two former Army Rangers paired against their will on the road trip of a lifetime. Army Ranger Briggs (Channing Tatum) and Lulu (a Belgian Malinois dog) buckle into a 1984 Ford Bronco and race down the Pacific Coast in hopes of making it to a fellow soldier's funeral on time. Along the way, they’ll drive each other completely crazy, break a small handful of laws, narrowly evade death, and learn to let down their guards in order to have a fighting chance of finding happiness.

My Thoughts
I’m a sucker for animal films and always seem to get sucked into the story, but I wasn’t sure what to expect with Channing Tatum in the leading role. In all honesty, I didn’t think he’d have the acting chops to carry the film with him being in virtually every scene. I’m happy to say I was wrong. He’s awesome in the role and his chemistry with his canine companion is outstanding. I fully expected a “stupid” comedy, and this actually turned out to be a very serious and intense film about PTSD, adjusting to life outside of a warzone, and how companionship can help one heal.

I watched the film with my wife, daughter, and her fiancé and we were all blown away by the film. In fact, there wasn’t a dry eye in the room when the credits rolled. While there were funny moments that had us laughing out loud, there are also so many touching scenes that hit you emotionally. Sadly, we lost our dog last year and I have to admit that watching this really makes me want to get another one—they truly are man’s best friend.

The presentation is quite good, but not remarkable. Most of the material is easy to render and the digitally shot production is clean, features accurate colors and flesh tones, and plenty of detail. The DTS-HD MA 5.1 track is mostly front heavy, although there are some gunshots that impact the room and the musical soundtrack will liven up the proceedings.

Video 4.5/5 (AVC)

Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:
  • Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Code

Conclusion
 This is an excellent film and showcases Tatum’s ability to carry a picture. The dog companion has her own personality as well and it’s a joy to see the pair bond throughout the 100-minute movie. The presentation is solid as well and it makes it easy to recommend.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
JL Audio F110 (X2 co-located and bridged as one sub)
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Dog (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 11:04:02 AM »
Thanks - looks enjoyable

So, I watched "Pig" last night, I'll watch "Dog" next, so will have to look for "Duck" and "Chicken" after those! ???::)

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 11:16:42 AM »
Thanks - looks enjoyable

So, I watched "Pig" last night, I'll watch "Dog" next, so will have to look for "Duck" and "Chicken" after those! ???::)
Well...there is "Chicken Run" and "Babe." 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 02:14:01 PM »
This had been on our radar, so we definitely need to watch soon. We have 2 dogs - both rescues - so definitely up both my and my wife's alley.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 05:49:26 PM »
This had been on our radar, so we definitely need to watch soon. We have 2 dogs - both rescues - so definitely up both my and my wife's alley.
You'll love the dog in the film (actually, it was 3 dogs playing the same part :)). Bring some tissue though...you'll need it!
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 08:07:52 AM »
Greetings,

Nice review buddy. Yeah, this one has a little bit for everyone.

Regards,

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 09:22:54 AM »
Greetings,

Nice review buddy. Yeah, this one has a little bit for everyone.

Regards,
Thanks for chiming in Ralph. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal