AVS Discussions
  Go Down

New Sony laser 4K projectors

New Sony laser 4K projectors
« on: April 26, 2022, 02:54:52 PM »
Projector Central article is up - we all knew Sony would have to respond to JVC's great NZ lineup, and looks like they did in a big way at first glance. $6K for the entry level laser 4K VPL-XW5000ES! Going to be fun to see the comparisons between the Epson LS-12000 and the Sony. The step up models include the ARC-F lens at $12K so it looks like a big jump for that. No HDR10+ is a mild surprise, wonder if that's potentially a firmware upgrade down the road?

Re: New Sony laser 4K projectors
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 03:00:37 PM »
Looks like a UK preview dropped today along with the reveal. Not the ideal review circumstances of course as it's more of a Sony demo but some more info and hints at performance.

https://www.cameralabs.com/sony-vpl-xw5000es-4k-laser-projector-review/

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 04:00:56 PM »
Projector Central article is up - we all knew Sony would have to respond to JVC's great NZ lineup, and looks like they did in a big way at first glance. $6K for the entry level laser 4K VPL-XW5000ES! Going to be fun to see the comparisons between the Epson LS-12000 and the Sony. The step up models include the ARC-F lens at $12K so it looks like a big jump for that. No HDR10+ is a mild surprise, wonder if that's potentially a firmware upgrade down the road?
No dynamic tone mapping for HDR, 3840x2160 resolution - so hopefully one doesn't have a DCR lens already. The XW5000 has a manual lens. No HDMI 2.1, which wouldn't bother me as I don't game on a projector.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 04:08:15 PM »
No dynamic tone mapping for HDR, 3840x2160 resolution - so hopefully one doesn't have a DCR lens already. The XW5000 has a manual lens. No HDMI 2.1, which wouldn't bother me as I don't game on a projector.
I'm confused on the DTM - the PC writeup says no DTM "for HDR10+" but doesn't clarify if it's just lack for that particular HDR. This is from another writeup and sounds like it's there in some form:

Dynamic HDR Enhancer – Due to the processing power of the X1™ Ultimate for projector, the contrast in combination with the new laser output control on both models is further enhanced, making the HDR bright scenes brighter and the dark scenes darker. The newly launched object based HDR remaster allows for more powerful real-time picture processing that analyzes objects of each frame and makes for unmatched HDR imagery for any content.

The other compromises are sort of expected in some way at this price point. The XW6000 of course adds the ARC-F lens at just $12K compared to the $40K it took previously, so there are wins at each level.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 07:32:22 PM »
I'm confused on the DTM - the PC writeup says no DTM "for HDR10+" but doesn't clarify if it's just lack for that particular HDR. This is from another writeup and sounds like it's there in some form:

Dynamic HDR Enhancer – Due to the processing power of the X1™ Ultimate for projector, the contrast in combination with the new laser output control on both models is further enhanced, making the HDR bright scenes brighter and the dark scenes darker. The newly launched object based HDR remaster allows for more powerful real-time picture processing that analyzes objects of each frame and makes for unmatched HDR imagery for any content.

The other compromises are sort of expected in some way at this price point. The XW6000 of course adds the ARC-F lens at just $12K compared to the $40K it took previously, so there are wins at each level.
The Sony rep specifically said during a dealer sneak peek webinar last week that these projectors do not have active tone mapping.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 07:53:15 PM »
In other words, that's a bit of marketing spin.

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 10:44:03 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that, Craig. Good to know. Disappointing but the only direct competition at the price, the Epson, doesn't have it either so maybe not a big surprise. Obviously it'll be interesting to see how the XW5000 compares to the LS12000, and it's good to see competition increasing at least a little in that range.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2022, 03:06:26 PM »
Another missing feature on the XW5000 that some will care about - 3D. It wasn't clear at first as I saw conflicting claims but looking at the datasheet pdf, it has a schematic of the connector panel and there is NOT a 3D sync output. That does show up on the 6000/7000 datasheets. 

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2022, 04:55:50 PM »
Projector Reviews has a review of the XW7000ES up.

With respect to HDR and dynamic tone mapping or active tone mapping, whatever you want to call it, Phil Jones doesn't seem to be in agreement with Craig that it's just marketing. Here are some snips:

Of all the benefits of the X1 Ultimate Processor, the most notable is the Dynamic HDR Enhancer feature which dramatically improves the look of HDR content. Thanks to the Dynamic HDR Enhancer, the XW7000ES can analyze HDR content scene by scene for precise dynamic tone mapping of HDR10 content.

HDR analysis and tone mapping might be a new concept for a lot of projector manufacturers, but Sony began blazing the trail back in 2017 when their 4K TV lineup introduced the X1 Processor. HDR scenes are brighter, with richer colors and a better black level.

In addition, the Dynamic HDR Enhancer feature utilizes frame-by-frame HDR tone mapping to deliver respectable full-screen brightness while still displaying a good amount of highlight detail.

The factory HDR Contrast setting of 50 was a little high resulting in some unnecessary highlight clipping, especially when viewing HDR content mastered above 4000nits. Once I reduced the setting to about 45, I rarely felt a need to make any additional manual tone mapping adjustments when viewing during HDR.

Even though the XW7000ES is utilizing frame-by-frame tone mapping, sometimes brighter highlights are occasionally clipped. This is not a sign that the XW7000ES is not dynamically tone mapping. Sony believes this is necessary to keep most of the image on the screen as close to the director’s intent as possible. Remember, you can always adjust the HDR Contrast setting to restore any clipped highlight information.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2022, 05:34:56 PM »
Projector Reviews has a review of the XW7000ES up.

With respect to HDR and dynamic tone mapping or active tone mapping, whatever you want to call it, Phil Jones doesn't seem to be in agreement with Craig that it's just marketing. Here are some snips:
I quoted Sony themselves. Phil Jones is spewing Sony's confusing marketing BS. There is nothing new processing wise regarding HDR tone mapping that I have read over the outgoing Sony models, and they did not have active frame by frame dynamic tone mapping. Also, damned if I could find any contrast measurements in that review. It's a puff piece light on measurements.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2022, 05:39:05 PM »
Also, Phil Jones used to work for Sony. I'll wait for Kris Deering, Nigel of Absolute Ultimate and Dylan Seeger to review these.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2022, 05:50:51 PM »
LOL... 100% agreed we definitely need to see the thorough reviews that will come later on. That review is somewhere between a "preview" and a real review.

With respect to "nothing new processing wise", isn't extending the X1 Ultimate through the lineup, something new? That was only used in the 1025 before, from what I have seen? I'm not 100% clear on what abilities it brings over what the 915 had, for example. But it does seem to amp up the available processing power to give more granularity to image analysis.

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2022, 12:45:04 AM »
First review of the XW5000ES is up at Projector Central. Rob really threw some darts at the lens and Sony cheaping out there and a couple of other ways, but otherwise gave it very high marks. Seems like the HDR processing really did improve compared to the previous generation. Still look forward to Kris or Dylan reviewing it but there are some pretty positive things especially at the price point. And since I jumped on an RS2100 I'm really curious now to see how the XW6000ES fares in that price range, since it addresses all the weak points mentioned for the 5000.

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2022, 01:53:51 AM »
First review of the XW5000ES is up at Projector Central. Rob really threw some darts at the lens and Sony cheaping out there and a couple of other ways, but otherwise gave it very high marks. Seems like the HDR processing really did improve compared to the previous generation. Still look forward to Kris or Dylan reviewing it but there are some pretty positive things especially at the price point. And since I jumped on an RS2100 I'm really curious now to see how the XW6000ES fares in that price range, since it addresses all the weak points mentioned for the 5000.
Thanks for the link. I'll give it a look. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2022, 01:11:52 PM »
Pretty good review there.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal