The King's Daughter (Blu-ray) review

The King's Daughter (Blu-ray) review
« on: April 19, 2022, 12:08:47 PM »

Studio: Universal
Release Date: April 19, 2022
Rating: PG-13
Film:  2.5/5

Plot
Known as The Sun King, Louis XIV (Pierce Brosnan; Mamma Mia!, Cinderella, Die Another Day) is the most powerful and influential monarch on the planet. Obsessed with his own mortality and the future of France, Louis turns to his spiritual advisor, Père La Chaise (William Hurt; A History of Violence, Black Widow), and the royal physician to help him obtain the key to immortality. Believing a mermaid (Fan Bingbing; The 355, X-Men: Days of Future Past) contains a force that grants everlasting life, Louis commissions a young sea captain (Benjamin Walker; In the Hearts of the Sea, Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter) to search the seas and capture the mystical creature. Further complicating his plans is his orphaned daughter, Marie-Josèphe (Kaya Scodelario; Maze Runner franchise, Pirates of the Caribbean), who returns to court with an abundance of elegance and an inherent defiance of authority. With a rare solar eclipse approaching, Louis will discover where his daughter’s true loyalties lie as he races against time to extract the mermaid’s life-giving force. 

My Thoughts
To enjoy a fantasy movie, you really need to be in the right frame of mind when you sit down to watch it. In all honesty, this was a film I requested for my wife’s benefit and it wasn’t something I was pining to see myself. The highlight of the picture for me was Kaya Scoderlario, who I had seen in some previous projects and provides just enough eye candy for me to overlook the obvious flaws in the film. First, for a ninety-minute film, it sure drags in a lot of spots. The first act is a tad slow as it attempts to set up the convoluted story, but thankfully it picks up from there and both my wife and I were entertained. Is this a great film? Absolutely not. Is it watchable? Yes, it is. Is it something I’d watch again? Probably not. Enough said.

The presentation is good, not great, although I didn’t like the cinematography that much. I’m not sure what lenses were used, but some of the backgrounds were a bit fuzzy around the edge of the screen, but it happened enough to make me think it was intentional. That being said, there are plenty of bright colors and the location photography of Versailles is a sight to behold.

Video 4/5 (AVC)

Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.)

Special Features:
  • Deleted Scene
  • Cast Reflections on The King’s Daughter

Conclusion
The replay ability of this film is suspect, so I would suggest a rental first. It bombed in theaters for a reason, so keep that in mind when you sit down to watch it. With the right expectations you can enjoy yourself, but don’t expect top-shelf acting or production value.   

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
SVS SB 3000
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: The King's Daughter (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 04:55:36 PM »
Hard pass thanks for the review tho
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 08:55:58 PM »
Hard pass thanks for the review tho
LOL
No problem. Took one for the team in order to make my wife happy. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 06:57:52 AM »
Gotta do what you gotta do lol
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 11:03:59 AM »
I couldn't make it through the trailer... lol, thanks David.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal