Moonfall (4K UHD Blu-ray) review

Moonfall (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: April 16, 2022, 11:34:54 AM »

Studio: Lionsgate
Release Date: April 29, 2022
Rating: PG-13
Film: 3.5/5

Plot
A mysterious force knocks the Moon from its orbit around Earth and sends it hurtling on a collision course with life as we know it. With mere weeks before impact and the world on the brink of annihilation, NASA executive and former astronaut Jo Fowler (Academy Award® winner Halle Berry) is convinced she has the key to saving us all – but only one astronaut from her past, Brian Harper (Patrick Wilson, “Midway”) and a conspiracy theorist K.C. Houseman (John Bradley, “Game of Thrones”) believes her. These unlikely heroes will mount an impossible last-ditch mission into space, leaving behind everyone they love, only to find out that our Moon is not what we think it is.

My Thoughts
Roland Emmerich doesn’t like the planet Earth—or the White House. It seems as if nearly every one of his films the past twenty years has the Earth in mortal danger and the human race will perish. When I saw the trailer for this, I thought to myself, “here we go again.” On the plus side, the White House doesn’t get taken out (at least on screen), but New York’s skyline definitely changes and the human race will have an ah ha moment.

First and foremost, check your brain at the door when going into this movie. Whatever you do, don’t think too much about the physics or overall plot. Just strap yourself in and enjoy yourself. That’s what my wife and I did and we were wildly entertained for two-plus hours. In fact, we liked it enough to watch over an hour worth of bonus features explaining the genesis of the script as well as a great featurette on the moon itself. The acting is serviceable and we really enjoyed John Bradley, one of our favorites from Game of Thrones, but there were a few distractions. First, Halle Berry looks like she had a lot of face work done and second, I can’t look at Patrick Wilson and not see Chris Pratt—they look too much a like and seem to have similar on-screen personas.

I think one reason why we liked the film so much was the presentation, which is reference from beginning to end. I had spent most of the day integrating a new subwoofer in my system (M&K X15+), so watching a film that had a lot of LFE was an added plus. Furthermore, the Atmos track is one of the best the format has to offer. Active doesn’t begin to describe the overhead effects.

Video 10/10 (AVC)

Audio 10+/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Audio Commentary
• Against Impossible Odds: Making Moonfall
• Exploring the Moon: Past, Present, and Future
• KC Houseman Speaks the Truth
• Sounds of the Moon
• 4K + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
We had a blast watching this film. Granted, it isn’t going to win any Academy Awards for Best Picture, but it may for VFX and Sound Mixing. If you’re looking for something fun that doesn’t take things too seriously, check your brain at the door and definitely add this film to your collection. It’s a blast and will surely impress your friends on the prowess of your home theater.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 10:53:53 PM by David Vaughn »
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

Re: Moo
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 12:30:50 PM »
I’m afraid I can’t leave my brains at the door and watch this movie. I did that with the last Venom movie and Venom ate it!
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS3000; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 10:54:15 PM »
I’m afraid I can’t leave my brains at the door and watch this movie. I did that with the last Venom movie and Venom ate it!
Barry...watch it for the audio mix...it's worth it for that alone. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: Moonfall (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 03:34:14 AM »
Heard mixed reviews on the movie. But the sound has not disappointed

In the queue for sure 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Barry

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 12:27:08 PM »
Barry...watch it for the audio mix...it's worth it for that alone.
I will when it streams! thanks
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS3000; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 06:53:41 PM »
Heard mixed reviews on the movie. But the sound has not disappointed

In the queue for sure
If you go in knowing what to expect it's perfectly fine. If you expect to see an Academy Award Best Picture nominee, you'll be very disappointed. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 06:12:12 AM »
If you go in knowing what to expect it's perfectly fine. If you expect to see an Academy Award Best Picture nominee, you'll be very disappointed.
Never am. I guess that’s why I’m so tolerant of LOTS of movies most aren’t lol

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 03:57:11 PM »
I will check this movie out..

I can watch just about any movie as long as it has a decent plot and some good acting or absent of all that, at least some good eye candy!

In fact, if I could watch a 3 hour castaway movie which was basically a 3 hour fedex commercial, I can watch anything within reason! lol. :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 03:59:04 PM by tripplej »
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2022, 12:21:32 PM »
Greetings,

Thanks for the review Dave. Pretty sure no one goes into a film like this expecting Best Picture nominee material. Despite that, I didn't like as much as you did. Wildly entertaining isn't how I would describe it. Minimally entertaining perhaps...

Yeah, looks and sounds great!

Regards,

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2022, 01:40:20 PM »
Thanks for weighing in, Ralph. 

Torn on whether to do this one. I don't do well with this kind of movie usually, and have avoided this kind of Emmerich work since seeing Independence Day and gagging on it. My friend I saw it with still makes fun of what a geek I am for losing it over the virus upload at the end of that one, lol. But the comments about the demo level Atmos track... we all know how frustrating it is that many movies just don't seem to even try to realize the potential of Atmos and especially the overheads.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2022, 05:33:05 PM »
I'll probably wait for this to go on sale. I really liked Midway, and like Independence Day and 2012. He makes some fun movies that are also demo worthy.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2022, 05:49:56 PM »
I'll probably wait for this to go on sale. I really liked Midway, and like Independence Day and 2012. He makes some fun movies that are also demo worthy.
If you enjoyed those movies then you'll like this one. If your queue is full then definitely give it some time...it should be below $15 in a month or so. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2022, 07:51:55 PM »
I forgot Midway was his, and done independently. That was one I really enjoyed and ended up buying a copy. Need to rewatch it some time. Loved the aerial stuff.

bmoney

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2022, 03:22:35 AM »
Still waiting to see this. 

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2022, 07:53:58 AM »
I forgot Midway was his, and done independently. That was one I really enjoyed and ended up buying a copy. Need to rewatch it some time. Loved the aerial stuff.
I'm convinced Roland was trying to recreate the feel of the hammy pro America war movies made during WWII that I used to watch on Sat. mornings growing up in the Midwest as a kid. I think he nailed it. Plus, having read " Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo " not long ago, I liked the inclusion of the Doolittle raid. And the LFE kicks some ass!  
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal