Jockey (Blu-ray) review

Jockey (Blu-ray) review
« on: April 10, 2022, 08:32:51 PM »

Studio: Sony Pictures Classics
 Release Date: April 5, 2022
 Rating: R
 Film:  3.5/5

Plot
 An aging jockey (Clifton Collins Jr.), hopes to win one last title for his longtime trainer (Molly Parker), who has acquired what appears to be a championship horse. But the years – and injuries – have taken a toll on his body, throwing into question his ability to continue his lifelong passion. And the arrival of a young rookie rider (Moises Arias), who claims to be his son, and whom he takes under his wing, further complicates the path to fulfilling his dream.

My Thoughts
It’s been a while since I watched a character study movie and I decided to give this one a spin while my wife was out of town knowing it wasn’t her cup of team. One thing about the film from the outset is clear—you’re going to see the like of a jockey and it isn’t pretty. Filmmakers Clint Bentley and Greg Kewdar takes you inside the look at the profession and was filmed on location at a live racetrack in Arizona and the film features real jockeys. The pacing is somewhat slow and methodical, but this allows you to sympathize with the protagonist and learn about his background and what led him to where he is today. In the end, it isn’t a very uplifting story, but it does have an emotional impact by reflecting on life’s choices and making the best of your situation.

Video 4.5/5 (AVC)
 Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.)

Special Features:
  • Deleted Scenes

Conclusion
 This one takes a little while to get going, but once you know what you’re dealing with it does suck you in to the story. You’ll discover the life of a jockey isn’t easy and when you make poor choices in life, it doesn’t make the job any easier. If you’re looking for a character-driven drama, be sure to check this one out.    

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
 ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-990
 M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
 M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
 Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: Jockey (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 08:46:03 PM »
I’ll give it a look. Thanks!
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Re: Jockey (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 12:51:16 PM »
Greetings,

I enjoyed this one a well. As a fan of Clifton Collins Jr.'s work, I had to give it a go. Glad I did!

Regards,

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal