Scream (2022) (4K UHD Blu-ray) review

Scream (2022) (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: April 07, 2022, 05:55:46 PM »

Studio: Paramount
Release Date: April 5, 2022
Rating: R
Film: 3/5

Plot
Twenty-five years after a streak of brutal murders shocked the quiet town of Woodsboro, a terrifying new killer resurrects the Ghostface mask. As the deaths mount, Woodsboro's new targets must seek help from the survivors of the original Ghostface attacks. Now, only Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell), former sheriff Dewey Riley (David Arquette), and reporter Gale Weathers (Courteney Cox) can find a way to stop the killer when everyone is a suspect.

My Thoughts
While I enjoyed the original Scream, I can’t say I’m a fan of the franchise because I never watched any of its subsequent sequels. Here we are 25-years later and it’s time to reboot the franchise for a new and younger fan base. In order to have a tie to the past, three of the original stars are in the screenplay in order to hand off the franchise to a new generation.

Having recently reviewed the original film on UHD, the opening sequence was very familiar since it’s a throwback to the first film and is almost exactly the same scenario. Single hot girl supposedly locked in a house and spoiler alert, ghost face gets in and wreaks havoc. While I enjoyed the reminiscent quality of the film, it’s main character Sam (Melissa Barrerra) isn’t very likable and doesn’t have much chemistry with any of her onscreen cohorts. Granted, this isn’t high-brow cinema by any stretch, but when the main character is such a drag it’s hard to get into the movie. The thing I liked the most was seeing the trio of original characters performances, which were far and away better than their teenage counterparts.

Both the audio and video are excellent and I really have no complaints with either other than the audio track wasn’t Atmos.

Video 9/10 (AVC)

Audio 9/10 (DTS-HD MA 7.1)

Special Features:

• Audio Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • New Blood
  • Bloodlines
  • In the Shadow of the Master
  • Scream 1996 Trailer
  • 4K + Digital Copy

Conclusion
This typically isn’t my genre of film but I wanted to see the reboot in order to compare it to the first. Sadly, it doesn’t come close to measuring up to the original for various reasons. First, it’s too much like the original to be fresh. Second, the lead is a bore. And third, the young cast is overshadowed by the adults. If you’re a fan of the franchise or the genre, you may get out of it more than I did, but ultimately, it’s a middling affair.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Scream (2022) (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 01:21:57 PM »
Good summary and discussion of the film.  I think we watched some, if not all of the sequels, but can't say that I recall too much about them.

Regarding the younger cast members, I agree with the exception of Jasmin Savoy Brown, who really added a fresh and enjoyable spark to the ensemble.  It helped that she had all of the best lines.  

And of the older cast members, this is going to sound bad and perhaps a bit sexist, but I had a really tough time watching Courteney Cox.  It's a shame what she's had done to her face, particularly her mouth; it was quite distracting.  She's expressed regret over some of the work she's had done, and it's too bad she felt the need to alter her looks that way.  Whether that's a societal problem or Hollywood problem is a discussion that lies outside of a AV forum, but in this case it had a direct and distraction effect while watching the movie.

One other thing that stood out to me was the discussion in the movie about remakes, fans, the studios, and the internet.  It seemed to be an even-handed look at the state of the film industry today, and while not extremely in-depth, it was interesting to see the topic discussed in the film.

Maybe worth a watch, but this isn't a movie I'd consider buying.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

Re: Scream (2022) (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 05:38:40 PM »
Good summary and discussion of the film.  I think we watched some, if not all of the sequels, but can't say that I recall too much about them.

Regarding the younger cast members, I agree with the exception of Jasmin Savoy Brown, who really added a fresh and enjoyable spark to the ensemble.  It helped that she had all of the best lines. 

And of the older cast members, this is going to sound bad and perhaps a bit sexist, but I had a really tough time watching Courteney Cox.  It's a shame what she's had done to her face, particularly her mouth; it was quite distracting.  She's expressed regret over some of the work she's had done, and it's too bad she felt the need to alter her looks that way.  Whether that's a societal problem or Hollywood problem is a discussion that lies outside of a AV forum, but in this case it had a direct and distraction effect while watching the movie.

One other thing that stood out to me was the discussion in the movie about remakes, fans, the studios, and the internet.  It seemed to be an even-handed look at the state of the film industry today, and while not extremely in-depth, it was interesting to see the topic discussed in the film.

Maybe worth a watch, but this isn't a movie I'd consider buying.

Scott
Well said Scott. I don't understand Cox's motivations either. I don't look as young as I used to (Cox and I are about the same age), but that's the joy of aging. She looks like 5 miles of bad road now. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal