• AV Science, Inc
The Eight Hundred Blu-Ray
« on: March 25, 2022, 06:22:41 PM »
The Eight Hundred Blu-Ray
Studio: Shout Factory 
Release Date:2020 
Rating: Not rated
Film:3.75/5 

Plot – Based on the true story of the defense of Sihang Warehouse in 1937 Shanghai by Chinese troops during the Battle of Shanghai. 

My Thoughts – This is a realistic war movie based on events I had no knowledge of. This was also the 2nd highest grossing movie worldwide in 2020. The story of 800 Chinese soldiers holding this warehouse (which still exists today) against an onslaught of 20,000 Japanese troops is something like their Alamo. Strangely, the battle took place in full view of the protected Shanghai International Settlement across a river, with French, British and Americans watching from nightclubs, bars and dance halls. At 2 hours and 29 min., this is a long movie, but exciting right up to the end. I also found that you got to know many of the characters ( and there are quite a few ) and felt a connection to them as you watched their struggle to survive.

Video- 4.5/5 This is the first Chinese film shot entirely on IMAX cameras. The picture is overall very sharp and detailed. Colors can be muted at times, which fits the period and gritty battle sequences. Overall, a very good looking Blu-ray.

Audio 4/5 – DTS HD 5.1 audio track. Good surround use, and decent if LFE / bass. Very realistic war / battle soundtrack.

Conclusion – another extremely interesting foreign war story based on true events. Recommended for war movie buffs.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS4500 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
( Calibrated by Kris Deering )
Stewart Filmscreen – 128” diagonal StudioTek 130 G3 2.35:1 screen
Stewart Filmscreen – 122” diagonal Cima Neve 16:9 screen
Panamorph Paladin DCR lens
Lumagen Radiance Pro Video Processor
Denon X8500H receiver
Parasound Halo A 52+ amp – powering the left / center / right / wide speakers
Oppo UBD203 4K Blu Ray player
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
9.6.4 Speaker System -  Martin Logan Motion 40’s ( 2 ), Focus ESL C18 center speaker, Motion EM FX2 surrounds ( 4 ), Motion LX16 wide channel speakers  ( 2 ) , Motion 4 heights ( 4 )
Two  SVS SB4000 subs
Four SVS SB2000 subs
Mini DSP HD controlling the subwoofers
AC Infinity AIRCOM T8 component cooling fans ( 3 )
GIK Acoustic Panels
PFP M1500 – UPS
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Re: The Eight Hundred Blu-Ray
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 07:32:46 PM »
Thanks, Craig, sounds very interesting. Anyone with some history knowledge knows in general how brutally Japan acted in China in the 1930s but some of the specific stories aren't known well here. Even with 2020 being an off year, incredible that this was the 2nd highest grossing movie worldwide.

Edit: I looked up just out of curiosity and noticed that the #2 movie worldwide for 2021 was another Chinese film, The Battle at Lake Changjin. However as that one was commissioned by the publicity department of the CCP I think I'd pass!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 07:38:23 PM by Paul Heroy »

Barry

Re: The Eight Hundred Blu-Ray
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 08:53:46 PM »
Thanks for the review. This looks very unusual and very interesting.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal