The Matrix Resurrections (UHD Blu-ray) review

The Matrix Resurrections (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: March 10, 2022, 03:38:42 PM »

Studio: Warner
Release Date: March 8, 2022
Rating: R
Film: 3.25/5

Plot
In The Matrix Resurrections, return to a world of two realities: one, everyday life; the other, what lies behind it. To find out if his reality is a physical or mental construct, to truly know himself, Mr. Anderson (Keanu Reeves) will have to choose to follow the white rabbit once more. And if Thomas…Neo…has learned anything, it’s that choice, while an illusion, is still the only way out of—or into—the Matrix. Of course, Neo already knows what he has to do. But what he doesn’t yet know is the Matrix is stronger, more secure and more dangerous than ever before. Déjà vu.

My Thoughts
I had this film sitting on my desk for nearly a week before I finally got up enough nerve to dedicate the time to watch it. Its theatrical release received tepid reviews from both audiences and critics, so I wouldn’t say I had high expectations going in. I think that actually helped in my enjoyment. While it’s not a great film by any stretch, especially compared to the original, it has its moments and I was entertained and in Matrix fashion, also, confused, which will require a second viewing at some point.

The film starts with a sense of Déjà vu as it sets up the film. I loved how the conceptualized the current timeline and it actually makes sense of what’s happened since the last film. This is arguably the strongest aspect of the film—it has a very solid base upon which to build. Unfortunately, the second act is a bit weak and other than a fantastic performance put in by Neil Patrick Harris, it’s a lot of things we’ve seen before from previous films, and it drags a bit. The third act is full of action and in entertaining, but like most action movies today, the fight/chase scenes go on far too long and it becomes a bit of an annoyance until it finally ends.

The presentation is outstanding—especially the video quality. This is a reference disc that I really don’t have any complaints with. The video is sharp and detailed and the Atmos track is a crowd pleaser.  

Video 9.75/10 (AVC)

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• No One Can Be Told What The Matrix Is
  • Resurrecting The Matrix
  • Neo x Trinity: Return to The Matrix
  • Allies + Adversaries: The Matrix Remixed
  • Matrix for Life
  • The Matrix Reactions (9 in total)
  • 4K + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
The Matrix was such a revolutionary film back in 1999 it was virtually impossible to create a sequel that could match its WOW factor. The Wachowskis tried with the two previous sequels and failed miserably. Thankfully, this effort was a bit stronger, and I and my family actually enjoyed it. While it’s not perfect by any stretch, it isn’t horrible either. My son gave it 3/5 and my wife 3.5/5 and I fell right in between the two. If you’re a fan of the franchise, be sure to check it out.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: The Matrix Resurrections (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 03:44:29 PM »
Thanks, David. 3.25? LOL, I wondered where that granular a score came from.

Been waiting on this too due to all the negative reviews. Might get to it one day, but it might have to be a "send the wife shopping" day or something, and there's a growing list of movies for that day... 

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 04:16:06 PM »
Thanks, David. 3.25? LOL, I wondered where that granular a score came from.

Been waiting on this too due to all the negative reviews. Might get to it one day, but it might have to be a "send the wife shopping" day or something, and there's a growing list of movies for that day...
What's funny is that my wife liked it the most of all of us, which was pretty funny. If the second and third acts were tightened up a bit I would have gone to 3.5. Once you see the film, you'll know what I mean. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 06:00:16 PM »
I’m gonna actually give it another shot. I hated it. But am willing to try again knowing not to expect excellence. And just enjoy the eye candy and great sound 

The hey remember this is just cringe worthy. 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 06:37:04 PM »
I’m gonna actually give it another shot. I hated it. But am willing to try again knowing not to expect excellence. And just enjoy the eye candy and great sound

The hey remember this is just cringe worthy.
You sound like me on Jupiter Ascending. I had high hopes for that and it was just terrible. And then I read an interview with the Wachowskis where they were so pretentious and condescending about the audience reaction to it, saying that people just couldn't understand their work b/c it wasn't yet another copy of (genre x). If I'm being nice, I think maybe there is stuff in at least one of their heads that makes sense to them, that they just do not know how to get onto the screen effectively. But the movies do look good....

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 07:08:09 PM »
You sound like me on Jupiter Ascending. I had high hopes for that and it was just terrible. And then I read an interview with the Wachowskis where they were so pretentious and condescending about the audience reaction to it, saying that people just couldn't understand their work b/c it wasn't yet another copy of (genre x). If I'm being nice, I think maybe there is stuff in at least one of their heads that makes sense to them, that they just do not know how to get onto the screen effectively. But the movies do look good....
I never bothered watching Jupiter Ascending because I heard it was horrible. Totally agree about the Wachowskis though with their attitudes. Two people I would NOT want to have a beer with someday, that's for sure. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 07:27:05 PM »
David, you have given me hope that I might enjoy this movie on some level. I have read pretty much all horrid reviews so far and have resolved myself to renting it.

The original film set the bar way high and that's part of the reason that none of the sequels measure up. On their own (if you can temporarily forget the brilliance of the original) they aren't absolute "stinkers". I can find something in each to entertain me but it's always the first film that I grab.

As always, thanks for the review. 

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 08:39:45 PM »
David, you have given me hope that I might enjoy this movie on some level. I have read pretty much all horrid reviews so far and have resolved myself to renting it.

The original film set the bar way high and that's part of the reason that none of the sequels measure up. On their own (if you can temporarily forget the brilliance of the original) they aren't absolute "stinkers". I can find something in each to entertain me but it's always the first film that I grab.

As always, thanks for the review.
Tracy, I hope I haven't set expectations too high. When I sat down to watch it I thought for sure I wouldn't get through it. I was glad I was wrong. Three of us watched it together and all enjoyed it for what it was. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2022, 03:27:59 PM »
Greetings,

Thanks Dave. As we have discussed, the things that you liked/disliked about the film, I pretty much did as well. I rated it 2.5 out of 5.0 because those things weren't enough to elevate the overall tone and lost potential suffered here. I really didn't care for "broken" Neo and the plethora of references to the first film which to me, were lazily used to ply the audience. As a fan I didn't hate it but, saw it as a missed opportunity.

Anyway, glad you guys enjoyed it!

Regards,

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2022, 11:41:31 AM »
Watched this last night with my wife. We both liked it a lot, but we are Matrix fans. I noticed that some of the music sounded a lot like the Cloud Atlas soundtrack - another one we like a lot. Overall pretty fun movie in my opinion.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2022, 04:24:17 PM »
Thanks for the review. I didn't even realize they made a new Matrix movie. I totally missed it. Later, when I saw the 4K release, I sort of assumed that it was yet another cut of the original Matrix, and ignored it thinking I don't need another special version that I won't have time to watch. But thanks to your review, I'll go get it. Now, do I have to sit through the first one again to refresh my memory from over two decades ago?

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2022, 07:28:46 PM »
Thanks for the review. I didn't even realize they made a new Matrix movie. I totally missed it. Later, when I saw the 4K release, I sort of assumed that it was yet another cut of the original Matrix, and ignored it thinking I don't need another special version that I won't have time to watch. But thanks to your review, I'll go get it. Now, do I have to sit through the first one again to refresh my memory from over two decades ago?
I don't think you need a refresh. although you will notice a lot of "throwbacks" the first. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2022, 11:23:26 AM »
LOTS of throwbacks. lol
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen