The Green Mile (UHD Blu-ray) review

The Green Mile (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: February 21, 2022, 04:44:41 PM »

Studio: Warner
Release Date: February 22, 2021
Rating: R
Film: 4/5

Plot
Nominated for four Academy Awards, including Best Picture, this emotional film about miracles and the power of redemption stars Tom Hanks as prison guard Paul Edgecomb. When John Coffey (Oscar nominee Michael Clarke Duncan), a giant of a man, is brought to death row, Edgecomb and his fellow guards discover something very unusual about him. Convicted for the sadistic murder of two young girls, but behaving almost like a child himself, Coffey seems to have a supernatural gift of healing living things. Expectations are turned upside down and the guards’ sense of humanity is awakened in this adaptation of Stephen Kings compelling novel.

My Thoughts
It’s been at least 13 years since I’d sat down to watch this from beginning to end. Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption) directs and writes and was his second adaptation of a Stephen King story—this one based on the novel from 1996. I find the story to be very compelling and is loaded with compelling characters, but at 189 minutes long, I fell it’s more in-tune with a mini-series versus a feature film.

Tom Hanks gets top billing for the film, but it’s Michael Clarke Duncan’s performanceis arguably the highlight of his entire career. The other supporting cast members all give memorable performances as well with a special shout out to Sam Rockwell and Michael Jeter.

Warner gave this film the A-list treatment for its debut in 4K with stellar HDR treatment and a newly minted Dolby Atmos track. Both are crowd pleasers and are upgrades over the Digibook Blu-ray I reviewed back in 2009.  

Video 9.5/10 (AVC)

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Commentary by Frank Darabont
  • Additional Scenes
  • Walking the Mile: The Making of The Green Mile
  • Miracle and Mystery: Creating The Green Mile
  • Tome Hanks Makeup Tests
  • Michael Clarke Duncan Screen Test
  • A teaser trailer: A Case Study
  • Theatrical Trailers
  • 4K + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
Unfortunately, my wife has never been a big fan of this film so I had to watch it by myself. Regardless, it was fun to revisit and while I agree with her that it’s a bit too long, I actually enjoy the slow burn and fleshing out of the characters that make the movie an enjoyable experience, even after seeing it twice previously. The 4K presentation is outstanding and I love the new Atmos track too. Recommended for fans.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: The Green Mile (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 08:16:51 AM »
One of my all time favs. Glad to have it in 4K 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Re: The Green Mile (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 02:16:17 PM »
Greetings,

I am a fan and enjoyed this from end to end.

Regards,

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal