AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Help with speaker setup

Help with speaker setup
« on: January 16, 2022, 05:06:43 PM »
Hello,

I’m setting up a  Atmos speaker system and would like to know if I can mix the GoldenEar Sat 3 for my ceiling effects to coincide with my Definitive 9080 side and rear surrounds. I already have 4 GoldenEar Sat 3’s and would like to use them for my height effects. 

Thanks.

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
Re: Help with speaker setup
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 06:46:41 PM »
Sure you can use them. Now, will they have a similar enough sound to your other speakers.......I have no idea.

As for GoldenEar speakers, all my HT speakers are GoldenEar. I have the HTR 7000s, in-ceiling, for my surrounds.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 08:34:57 PM »
That is what I’m worried about. I’ve read that you can mix and match when it comes to height speakers. This is why I need advice because if the senus is that they will sound off I will have to go with the Definitive in wall ceiling speakers. The thing is that I am completely sound proofing the room and I’m worried about leakage. 

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 10:04:31 PM »
I don't run height channels in my theater so I cannot comment accurately as to how much info is supplied to those channels. However, as a general rule with home theater, you want all channels to be a tonal match. The exception would be subwoofers.

Any time you mix speaker brands, you take a risk of them not sounding the same.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 10:52:04 PM »
I appreciate your response.
Thanks..

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 12:51:13 AM »
The thing that would concern me a bit is that the DT has a completely different tweeter design (standard dome) than the GE (folded ribbon). Also, I take it you are talking about the DT SR9080 surround? It's a bipolar design which is also a potential difference than a monopolar design with a more direct pattern.

One good thing is both are rated at 92 dB sensitivity so don't have wildly different power/amp needs.

bmoney

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 08:47:05 AM »
You’ll be fine. If it were LCR that were all different in would be concerned. But with surround vs atmos I guarantee you won’t tell a difference. Because it’s effect which are mixed in the overall sound. It’s very very very rare voices pan 360 and even then since the area of the room is different even exact speakers will sound slightly different 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 09:51:29 AM »
You’ll be fine. If it were LCR that were all different in would be concerned. But with surround vs atmos I guarantee you won’t tell a difference. Because it’s effect which are mixed in the overall sound. It’s very very very rare voices pan 360 and even then since the area of the room is different even exact speakers will sound slightly different
I agree with this. While all my bed speakers are of the same manufacturer (and timbre matched), my Atmos speakers aren't and you'd never know the difference when you actually listen to something. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 11:46:50 AM »
Thank you all for your input. I am new to the forum and really enjoy reaching out to you good people for advice. The reason why I’m choosing to go with on wall, and on ceiling speakers because I am spending a good amount of money to properly sound proof my up coming theater and I’m afraid that by making holes in the walls, and ceiling , the sound proofing may be degraded. Now, I know that you can install backer boxes, but I still feel that it will compromise all that I am putting into sound proofing. Any more thoughts, please advise.

Thank you.

AVSJeff

• JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, Martin Logan & more.
  • THX Certified Home Theater Designer
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2022, 11:31:13 AM »
Thank you all for your input. I am new to the forum and really enjoy reaching out to you good people for advice. The reason why I’m choosing to go with on wall, and on ceiling speakers because I am spending a good amount of money to properly sound proof my up coming theater and I’m afraid that by making holes in the walls, and ceiling , the sound proofing may be degraded. Now, I know that you can install backer boxes, but I still feel that it will compromise all that I am putting into sound proofing. Any more thoughts, please advise.

Thank you.

It really depends on how you are de-coupling the drywall. Some backboxes have a fire-proof rating which means they are air-sealed. If the ceiling and walls are properly de-coupled from the back-side surfaces, you probably aren't compromising the sound from 'escaping' to adjacent rooms by using in-wall and in-ceiling speakers.
Jeff Ripplinger
AV Science Sales
303-919-5775

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Screen Science, Seymour, Martin Logan, SVS, Triad and more

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal