Dune (4K UHD) review

Dune (4K UHD) review
« on: January 12, 2022, 08:03:45 PM »

Studio: Warner
Release Date: January 11, 2021
Rating: PG-13
Film: 4/5

Plot
“Dune” tells the story of Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet), a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, who must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode into conflict over the planet’s exclusive supply of the most precious resource in existence—a commodity capable of unlocking humanity’s greatest potential—only those who can conquer their fear will survive.

My Thoughts
I came into this film as a complete virgin in regard to the Dune universe. I’ve never read the book, watched the 1984 movie (other than maybe a few minutes on cable TV), nor the 2000 miniseries. So, I sat down after only watching a trailer and knew absolutely nothing about the story or any expectations. That being said, it was very entertaining, a bit long in parts, but otherwise does a great job of world building and setting the story up for at least one—and if rumors are to be believed—two more movies.

The casting includes a lot of household names such as Rebecca Feguson, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, Jason Momoa, Stellan Skarsgard, and Josh Brolin. The lead is Timothée Hal Chalamet, who looked familiar to me for some reason, but I couldn’t put a finger on where I’d seen him before. It turns out that he’s been in a lot of productions including Lady Bird, Interstellar, and Homeland—three things I had watched in the past, but he wasn’t the main focus of any of those shows, which is probably why I didn’t recognize him.

The production value of the film is off the charts. The story takes place mainly on a desert planet, but there are a few other worlds that come into play. The costumes are fantastic, and how the co-writer/director Denis Villeneuve was able to drop you into this universe and give you the lay of the land in this first film is very commendable. The story is rich and intriguing and I’m definitely excited for the next installments, the first of which won’t arrive until 2023.

The presentation is just what you’d expect from a blockbuster film and doesn’t disappoint. The video was shot with IMAX in mind, but the 4K transfer doesn’t change aspect ratio and is fixed at 2.39:1—something I actually appreciate now that I own a scope screen. While this is the first disc of 2022 that I’m reviewing, other films are going to have a very hard time topping this video transfer because there’s literally nothing to complain about. It’s picture perfect.

As much as I loved the video, I honestly wish I could give the audio an 11/10—yes, it’s that good. In fact, it’s arguably the best use of LFE on the format and if you’re looking for a great demo disc to show off your Atmos system, this one is a crowd pleaser. Action sequences come alive and put you right in the middle of the action and I wouldn’t doubt that store demos will use the dust storm scene to highlight how much more enveloping Atmos is compared to a 7.1 track.

Video 10/10

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

·        Eight Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes
·        Five-part Filmbooks (a must watch)
·        Three-Part Featurette: Inside Dune

Conclusion
This is a film I definitely plan on watching again soon if for no other reason to enjoy the fabulous presentation for a second time. I highly recommend watching the Five-part Filmbooks immediately following the movie in order to learn a bit more history about the various factions and storylines presented in the film. This will certainly help me delve deeper into the story upon my second viewing. Although it’s only the first month of the year, I’m ready to crown this disc the must-own title of 2022. Yes, it’s that good.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD  controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: Dune (4K UHD) review
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 08:27:48 PM »
Agreed on all parts. I really liked this. And the presentation was top notch

Can’t wait to watch it again!
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 09:46:00 PM »
I too have never read the books or watched the David Lynch version. That said, I think I will screen the 1984 version next Tuesday and the new one on Thursday for the full Dune experience!
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 09:50:29 PM »
Agreed on all parts. I really liked this. And the presentation was top notch

Can’t wait to watch it again!
Me neither...I plan on watching this weekend with my son. The LFE is off the charts good. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 09:50:45 PM »
I too have never read the books or watched the David Lynch version. That said, I think I will screen the 1984 version next Tuesday and the new one on Thursday for the full Dune experience!
Curious to hear your thoughts. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 11:26:30 PM »
Craig, I would personally recommend the 2000 SciFi channel Dune over the Lynch Dune, and it's not close. Dune the book was a big leap forward in sophistication of the SF genre when published, with politics, religion, social commentary and complex characters. The 1984 movie is like hearing a version of the book from someone on an acid trip - which can be fun but it sure leaves a lot out and distorts the rest.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 11:30:30 PM »
Craig, I would personally recommend the 2000 SciFi channel Dune over the Lynch Dune, and it's not close. Dune the book was a big leap forward in sophistication of the SF genre when published, with politics, religion, social commentary and complex characters. The 1984 movie is like hearing a version of the book from someone on an acid trip - which can be fun but it sure leaves a lot out and distorts the rest.
I have friends that love the Lynch version and encouraged me to get it, so I have to watch it with them at least once. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

bmoney

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 07:46:56 AM »
Me neither...I plan on watching this weekend with my son. The LFE is off the charts good.
I’m doing the exact same. Was supposed to watch it with him yesterday but the eternals came out. So we watched that instead lol

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 10:27:25 AM »
I read Dune in college not long after it was published, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I also have watched and enjoyed the 1984 version several times over the years (I have in on Blu-ray now).

But with all my interest in Dune, I was completely unaware of the 3-part 2000 version! Apparently the only place to watch it is on YouTube, so I'll have to take a look.

Thanks for mentioning it!

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 11:58:38 AM »
I read Dune in college not long after it was published, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I also have watched and enjoyed the 1984 version several times over the years (I have in on Blu-ray now).

But with all my interest in Dune, I was completely unaware of the 3-part 2000 version! Apparently the only place to watch it is on YouTube, so I'll have to take a look.

Thanks for mentioning it!

Yeah, I checked justwatch.com and see there is no streaming source unfortunately.

There is however a Blu-ray of both Dune & Children of Dune, it's only $33 for the set on Amazon. Well worth it IMO and especially the first one is a high water mark for the Sci Fi Channel (along with Battlestar Galactica and the first 3 seasons of The Expanse).

https://www.amazon.com/Frank-Herberts-Collection-James-McAvoy/dp/B09JK35F7Z/ref=tmm_blu_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1642092944&sr=8-1-spons

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 10:49:21 AM »
Greetings,

Nice review Dave! I agree with your impressions across the board.. 8)

Regards,

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 11:59:41 AM »
Greetings,

Nice review Dave! I agree with your impressions across the board.. 8)

Regards,
Thanks Ralph. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 02:11:39 PM »
Was able to watch this a second time. It’s much better second time through. Such great presentation.  My son liked it too. I thought he wouldn’t due to some of the pacing 

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2022, 04:46:13 PM »
I saw this as well and I was impressed.

This is one of those movies which you have to watch over again to catch everything..
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2022, 08:27:47 PM »
I saw this as well and I was impressed.

This is one of those movies which you have to watch over again to catch everything..
I HIGHLY recommend watching the bonus features on this one. They fill in a lot of gaps that those who have read the books know about. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal