AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Contemplating replacing my two Rotel RMB-1095 amps

Contemplating replacing my two Rotel RMB-1095 amps
« on: January 08, 2022, 11:12:22 PM »
I currently have two Rotel RMB-1095 amps. These amps provide 200 wass per channel all channels driven. They've been very powerful, reliability and robust speakers in the over 20 years that I've had them. One negative of these amps is their size (9.5" H) and, a bigger concern, is their 75lbs weight. I was blissfully using these amps in my previous home where I had a built-in shelf a 6' rack-mounted shelf, and, so I don't have to list the Rotel amps much, I had two amplifier stands sitting on the floor for the Rotel. Now, I have moved homes. I'm trying to consolidate all my gear into one 6' rack instead of having my varoius equipment spread out (like how I had the Rotels on their own amp stands on the floor). While I like the Rotels, I don't like their size, but I dislike there weight even more. The Rotels are 75lbs, and I have two of them. The though of deadlifting them from the floor to the top of my rack doesn't inspire me.

Since I'd like to use less "footprint" for all my gear, and to save my back, I'm trying to figure out if I should replace the Rotel's with a different amp- one that's lighter, preferably more efficient (less cooling problems, and less fans need for cooling), I cam from a 7.2.4 system in my previous house and i'm moving to a 5.2.2 (my new room's dimensions can't justify the user of more channels, but I do get a much larger projection scdreen). Anyone have any thoughts on potential replacements of my Rotel? Some amps that seem interesting: ATI AT537N, Monoprice, Emovita, M1347 (soft spot in my heart for mcIntosh, since I live near Binghamton, NY where they are made). Krell and NAD seem a bit $$$ for me. Bottom line is I need.a 7 channel amp that isn't crazy heavy and sounds good/better than my old Rotels,.

bmoney

Re: Contemplating replacing my two Rotel RMB-1095 amps
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 08:05:51 AM »
What’s the sensitivity of your speakers. ?
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 11:30:06 AM »
What’s the sensitivity of your speakers. ?

I have Paradigm Signature S8 (version 1) for front L/R. Sensitivity is 91 dB/ 88 dB (room / anechoic).  My center is Paradigm Signature version1  C5 center. Sensitivity is 93 dB / 90 dB (room/anechoic). 

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 01:32:28 PM »
Emotiva has their X Series which is very flexible in configuration. You can order with 7 channels and choose 1, 3 or 5 high power modules plus a corresponding set of lower power stereo modules. Shows $1799 for a "Seven-3-2S" which would 3 high power for fronts, and then 2 stereo for 4 surround/height channels. It can go up to 11 channels total if you need.

bmoney

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 05:14:40 PM »
his speakers are pretty sensitive so def doesnt need the amps for their power. an AVR will power them fine

you could even go with  basX amps and save a bunch of coin....i have the 7 channel one and its been great!

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 05:42:00 PM »
The Emotiva amps seem interesting and I'll look into them more. I haven't ruled out a receiver for the future. I currently have a Marantz AV7705 processor, so I need amps for it. I suppose an alternative would be to get a receiver and use one of my two Rotels for LCR, and the receiver for other channels. That will allow me to get rid of one or two amps and consolidate my equipment into one rack. 
While I've been updating my processors every 3 to 4 years, I got my Rotel amps nearly 20 years ago, so pros/cons of receivers versus separates versus combination of receiver and separate amp need revisiting. I did get my $$ out of the Rotel and so far they're still working well. They are just big and heavy, and after my recent move to a new home has me revisiting their continued use. 

bmoney

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 06:37:13 PM »
I only have the basx amps to
Power the speakers that my avr don’t. But all my speakers are 99db sensitive so I don’t need any power 

The claim that separates sound better at least to me is a farce. But is a necessity if your speaker are power hungry. Which yours are not

Simple is best imho   Report back what you decide to do :)

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Go Up