AVS Discussions
  Go Down

West Side Story Part 1

Barry

West Side Story Part 1
« on: December 07, 2021, 04:37:38 PM »
       West Side Story opens on Thursday and I have tickets for it.

I am a fan of Broadway musicals and I enjoyed the first West Side Story from 1961. But I had a lot of problems with it and I thought it would be interesting to mention them and then report back on Friday.  I loved the story, the music, the lyrics the dancing and Rita Moreno.

Casting: This was a movie about many things, including racism, and as the lyrics say in the song America,
“Life is all right in America,
If you're all-white in America”

So they by passed Hispanic actors and hired Natalie Wood, who was just not appropriate.  Neither were the “white” actors hired to portray Puerto Ricans. It didn’t look right. The Racial themes were mostly eliminated here as they were in the movie of Bye Bye Birdie.

And Tony in the movie was very not exciting.

Language: Here street gangs spoke in “G” rated speech.  “Gee Officer Krumpke, Krump you” is not what they would have said.

Finally, Tony kills Maria’s brother, Bernardo.  And that is either ignored or forgotten by Marie by the end of the movie. I don’t know if that can ever be fixed in the movie.

Well, let’s see.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: West Side Story Part 1
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 05:02:26 PM »
It's been a long time since I saw the original West Side Story. I'll be interested to hear your take on the new one.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: West Side Story Part 1
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 09:31:08 PM »
I am also interested in your review. Can't wait. :)
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal