Jungle Cruise (UHD Blu-ray) review

Jungle Cruise (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: November 12, 2021, 10:43:04 PM »

Studio: Disney
Release Date: November 16, 2021
Rating: PG-13
Film: 3.5/5

Plot
Seeking an ancient tree with healing abilities, Dr. Lily Houghton and wisecracking skipper Frank Wolff team up for the adventure of a lifetime on Disney’s Jungle Cruise, a rollicking ride down the Amazon. Amidst danger and supernatural forces lurking in the jungle, secrets of the lost tree unfold as their fate – and mankind’s – hangs in the balance.

My Thoughts
This was one of the first movies that we ventured out to the theater to watch after Covid-19 restrictions were eased in California and for the most part, it was worth the trip. I’m sure Disney was hoping for another franchise in the vein of Pirates of the Caribbean, but I doubt it will have the same legs. While the cast is great with Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt, the overall story lacked the magic required to spawn a new franchise.

The presentation on UHD is quite good but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was disappointed that this is the last physical media that Disney is providing me for reviews. From this point forward it’s digital only unless they change their minds. I was really impressed with both the audio and video on this release. There’s a ton of CGI in the film and while it doesn’t look completely natural, it isn’t too distracting. The HDR effects are quite good and I found the color palette to be quite pleasing.

The Atmos track is extremely active and utilizes all of the speakers in the room. The action sequences really take things to the next level and waterfall effects sound particularly good. The LFE could have been a tad more aggressive for my tastes, but then again, I’m somewhat of a bass-head and prefer to wake the dead with my tentpole films.

Video 9/10

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

·        Jungle Cruise Expedition Mode
·        It’s a Jungle Out There: Making Jungle Cruise
·        Dwayne and Emily: Undoubtedly Funny
·        Creating The Amazon
·        Once a Skip, Always a Skip
·        Outtakes
·        Deleted Scenes
·        Blue-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
While I enjoyed watching this film both in the theater and on UHD Blu-ray, I can’t say it’s something I’ll revisit for a third time anytime soon. I enjoy both of the leads other work, I wouldn’t say this is the best they’ve ever been. Some of the humor seems forced—which fits what you’d find on the theme park ride—but some of the script decisions aren’t what I’d call family-friendly. Overall I think it’s worth a purchase since there’s definitely a replay value, but I expected to be wowed like I was with the first entry in the C franchise.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer