The Shawshank Redemption (UHD Blu-ray) review

The Shawshank Redemption (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: September 11, 2021, 08:30:20 PM »

Studio: Warner
Release Date: September 14, 2021
Rating: R
Film: 5/5

Plot
This inspiring drama tells the story of Andy Dufresne (Robbins), a prominent banker unjustly convicted of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment at Maine’s Shawshank Prison.  He is befriended by longtime convict Red (Freeman) who’s been in long enough to know the ropes and helps him cope with the frightening realities of prison life.  As the two men grow closer, so does the sense of hope that can truly set them free.

My Thoughts
Released in 1994 between eventual Oscar-winner Forest Gump and the independent sensations Pulp Fiction, the movie with a difficult-to-pronounce title was a hit with audiences and barely made back its production costs. Furthermore, it didn’t win any awards either. Let’s call it a late bloomer because when it finally hit the home-video market, the movie finally found its legs and became one of the highest-grossing video rentals of all time with its rich, character-driven story about prison life in the mid Twentieth Century.

It's based on Stephen King’s novella “Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption,” the film did earn first-time director Frank Darabont an Oscar nomination for his adapted screenplay. I guess the young writer/director had the last laugh because in 2015 the US Library of Congress selected the film for preservation in the National Film Registry, finding it “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.” I just call it one of the greatest films of my lifetime and if were released in almost any other year, it would have won a lot of hardware at the Academy Awards.

I’ve seen this movie countless times over the past 27 years and like a lot of viewers, I wasn’t introduced to it until I watched it on VHS—remember those?—in early 1995. From the first time I saw it I fell in love with the screenplay and its one of those films that you end up watching when channel surfing on a lazy Saturday afternoon.

The transfer is based on a 4K scan and the color timing is different that the previous Blu-ray releases from 2008 and 2010. The image is a bit cooler, which matches the cinematographer’s original intent, and it depicts the cold, cruel look of prison life. Detail is quite strong, especially in close-ups, and the depth of the image is deep and inviting. While this is the best the film has looked on home video although I wouldn’t call it a reference presentation.

The Dolby TrueHD 5.1 soundtrack won't blow you away with bombastic action and discrete effects, but it's solid nonetheless. Dialog intelligibility is a must in this character character-driven drama, and it delivers the goods with natural tonality and is firmly rooted in the center speaker. Surround ambience is subdued throughout with nary the a discrete rear effect, but the sweeping score by Thomas Newman tests the dynamic range of the trackany sound system with powerful bass and crisp highs.

Video 8/10

Audio 8/10 (Dolby TrueHD 5.1)

Special Features:

·        Audio Commentary by Director Frank Darabont
·        Hope Springs Eternal: A Look Back at The Shawshank Redemption
·        Shawshank: The Redeeming Feature
·        The Sharktank Redemption
·        The Charlie Rose Show with Frank Darabont, Tim Robbins, and Morgan Freeman
·        Shawshank Stills
·        Theatrical Re-release Trailer

Conclusion
This is one of my all-time favorite films and I’m happy to see it released in 4K. The UHD presentation is solid and delivers an upgrade over the previous Blu-ray releases and is a must own for any film lover. Highly recommended.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: The Shawshank Redemption (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 09:48:30 PM »
Also one of my all time favorite movies. First saw it in college and had no clue what it was about. I was blown away. Love it!
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Re: The Shawshank Redemption (UHD Blu-ray) review