Indiana Jones 4-Movie Collection (UHD Blu-ray) review

Indiana Jones 4-Movie Collection (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: June 14, 2021, 08:42:30 AM »

Studio: Paramount
Release Date: June 8, 2021
Rating: PG-13
Film: 4/5

Raiders of the Lost Arc 5/5
The one that started them all. Harrison Ford coming off his breakout role in Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back became a super star after his portrayal of this iconic character. Lucas and Spielberg teamed up on the project and Ford was perfectly cast as the swashbuckling archeologist who travels throughout the world looking for ancient artifacts and continually runs up against the Nazis. Even after 40 years, the story holds up and while it’s far-fetched, its adventurous fun and is something I can watch over and over and never get bored.  

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 4.5/5
Sequels are very hard to pull off and Lucas and Spielberg had a high bar to please the fans. Until the fourth movie came out, this was the most polarizing film of the trilogy with some people loving it (I’m in that camp) with others absolutely hating it because they thought there was too much humor in the screenplay. Regardless, it does hold up well as a prequel since it takes place two years before the first film. In this installment, Jones stumbles upon some bad guys in India that are mistreating the locals and he feels compelled to get involved to right the wrongs.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 5/5
In many ways, this is my favorite film of the franchise. Ford is entrenched in the role and the addition of Sean Connery as his father was a casting coup. The film starts out as an origin story for Indiana Jones and comes full circle when the story fast forwards to 1938—just after the events of Raiders of the Lost Arc. In this adventure, Indy is looking for his father who has gone missing in his quest to discover the location of the Holy Grail. As luck would have it, the Nazis are looking for the same thing. This story has all of the elements of the first film along with the relational elements between Jones and his father. I remember seeing it in theaters back in 1989 and thought it was a fitting way to close out the franchise.

Indian Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 3/5
Looking much older, Ford reprises his role as the iconic character as he’s trying to outrace a sinister, yet beautiful, Russian agent (Cate Blanchett), for the coveted Crystal Skull of Akator—an eerie object of fascination with hidden powers. Teaming up with his ex-squeeze, Marion (Karen Allen), and her rebel son (Shia LaBeouf), the three must find an ex-colleague of Indy’s who knows the secrets of the mysterious skull.

I hadn’t watched this film in 13 years and to my surprise actually enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Yes, it still is extremely far-fetched (some of the stunts/sequences are pretty bad), but having watched the four films over 3 days, I was more into the lore of the character and didn’t let LaBeouf’s or Blanchett’s character portrayals distract me. Yes, this is the worst of the four films, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was entertained.

My Thoughts:
I had extremely high hopes for this release and for the most part it does a commendable job. The video quality is excellent, especially considering the age of the first film. The prints have all been rescanned in 4K and it really shows with the high level of detail. HDR isn’t overdone and looks extremely natural and non-distracting. Furthermore, the color timing has been improved and the orange/teal look from the Blu-rays have been corrected and they no longer look as if Michael Bay shot them.

Unfortunately, the Atmos tracks are somewhat disappointing. Envelopment is quite good and improve with each picture, but sadly, the LFE is virtually non-existent in the first film. Things improve in each subsequent film, but none of the tracks are near reference quality. In fact, in Raiders of the Lost Arc, some of the explosions reminded me of the train fight scene from Ant-Man when watching from the human perspective. You expect a big boom and instead you’re greeted with a whimper with both gunshots and explosions. The bass response in the sub-40Hz range is nonexistent and due to this (and releases from other studios) I’m starting to do research into BEQ to get around these truncated audio tracks.  

Raiders of the Lost Arc
Video 9.5/10
Audio 7.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Video 9.5/10
Audio 8/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Video 10/10
Audio 8.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Indian Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Video 10/10
Audio 8.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• On Set with Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • From Jungle to Desert
    • From Adventure to Legend
  • Making the Films
    • The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981 documentary)
    • The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • The Making of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    • The Making of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
·        The Making of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (HD)
·                    Behind the Scenes
    • The Stunts of Indiana Jones
    • The Sound of Indiana Jones
    • The Music of Indiana Jones
    • The Light and Magic of Indiana Jones
    • Raiders: The Melting Face!
    • Indiana Jones and the Creepy Crawlies (with optional pop-ups)
    • Travel with Indiana Jones: Locations (with optional pop-ups)
    • Indy’s Women: The American Film Institute Tribute
    • Indy’s Friends and Enemies
    • Iconic Props (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) (HD)
    • The Effects of Indy (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) (HD)
    • Adventures in Post Production (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) (HD)
  • Digital Copy of Each Film

Conclusion
As one of the most anticipated 4K releases of the year one would expect perfection from the studio on the release. Sadly, the Dolby Atmos tracks just don’t deliver the reference presentation that should be expected. Sure, these films have never had over-the-top sound mixes, but the Atmos tracks should at least meet the previous release’s audio and not be crippled below 40Hz (most notably on Raiders) like they are currently mastered. Despite this I can still recommend the set because the video quality is off the charts good and the films have never looked better. Hopefully the studio will realize its error and fix this oversight on subsequent releases in the future.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: Indiana Jones 4-Movie Collection (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 08:43:53 AM »
great reviews.  I have already watched the first 2 and was tickeled pink, cant wait for the next two, better yet my son has been watching them with me (his first time) and he loves them!
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 12:08:31 PM »
Greetings,

Nice review Dave! We have spoken about this so, you know my feelings. ;)

Regards,

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 06:16:00 AM »
watched Crusade last night.  they get better as they go on(which is expected) for PQ and AQ, one more to go! :)

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Barry

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 01:51:28 PM »
Thanks Dave. Amazon still has not sent out my copy. I wonder if my Best Buy has it.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS3000; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 04:47:13 PM »
Thanks for the review, Dave.

I recall sitting at a Star Wars convention seminar back when the Bluray's were being worked on, and Ben Burtt was one of the panelists.  He was talking about some of the work they did for the new release, and specifically Indy's gun.  They wanted to make it sound more like a cannon than a revolver in that version.

Well, that's kind of what it sounded like on the Bluray, and it never really sounded natural to me, way too boomy and over-the-top.  Can you comment on how his gun sounds on the new UHD Raiders of the Lost Ark release?  I'd be really curious to know if they changed it back to the original sound or kept it goosed up.

Thanks for any perspective,

Scott

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 04:59:16 PM »
Thanks for the review, Dave.

I recall sitting at a Star Wars convention seminar back when the Bluray's were being worked on, and Ben Burtt was one of the panelists.  He was talking about some of the work they did for the new release, and specifically Indy's gun.  They wanted to make it sound more like a cannon than a revolver in that version.

Well, that's kind of what it sounded like on the Bluray, and it never really sounded natural to me, way too boomy and over-the-top.  Can you comment on how his gun sounds on the new UHD Raiders of the Lost Ark release?  I'd be really curious to know if they changed it back to the original sound or kept it goosed up.

Thanks for any perspective,

Scott
It sounds more like a cap gun now...now low end punch at all. In fact, I know what a gunshot really sounds like and they seem to have gone to the other extreme on this release...I think it's "too" tamed down. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 05:46:07 PM »
Well, darn.  There has to be a happy medium there somewhere. 

But if it's not a distraction, I guess I'll just have to be happy with the latest version.

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 05:54:00 PM »
Well, darn.  There has to be a happy medium there somewhere.

But if it's not a distraction, I guess I'll just have to be happy with the latest version.
The video quality overcomes the shortfalls in the audio. These movies have never looked anywhere this good (maybe the first run through the projector on premiere night). Definitely a must buy for fans.
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 03:54:44 PM »
Well, I will get my copy tomorrow. Can't wait.

And David thanks for the review of  Godzilla versus Kong. I saw that today and the soundtrack was exceptional and the picture was perfect too. I really enjoyed the movie, more than I thought that I would. I look forward to seeing it a second time to catch a lot of the things I missed the first time.

Oh and no, I don't think I'll be watching the Lone Ranger even if it's in Atmos.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS3000; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Barry

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 05:10:37 PM »
Amazon just delivered it. I’ll get to it tomorrow

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 06:36:08 PM »
@David Vaughn - I'm going to have to stop reading your reviews of the various new 4k versions of many of my favorite movies!  This double-dipping has got to stop!  :-X :P

bmoney

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 06:38:34 PM »
Double dipping is what we do

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 06:52:03 PM »
The video quality overcomes the shortfalls in the audio. These movies have never looked anywhere this good (maybe the first run through the projector on premiere night). Definitely a must buy for fans.
Hey Dave, just finished Raiders Disc1…interesting I didn’t find the LFE quite as weak as you found it…It wasn’t great but I’ve definitely heard weaker LFE…Some of the punches were impactful…I found I had to increase my AVR by +5 though to really feel ok about the volume of the soundtrack…There was lots of surround action throughout the film…Video was stellar with a nice layer of grain…With that being said I just threw on Back to the Future 4K and the Atmos track is just that much more modern sounding and fuller…Turned the AVR down 5 notches and still that much more fuller.

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2021, 10:18:53 PM »
Hey Dave, just finished Raiders Disc1…interesting I didn’t find the LFE quite as weak as you found it…It wasn’t great but I’ve definitely heard weaker LFE…Some of the punches were impactful…I found I had to increase my AVR by +5 though to really feel ok about the volume of the soundtrack…There was lots of surround action throughout the film…Video was stellar with a nice layer of grain…With that being said I just threw on Back to the Future 4K and the Atmos track is just that much more modern sounding and fuller…Turned the AVR down 5 notches and still that much more fuller.
If you have the old Blu-ray set, pop in that disc and do a comparison...it's a good 10dB lower in the LFE channel.

My biggest complaints were gunshots and explosions. Gunshots sounded unnatural and the explosions were somewhat of a joke IMO.
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal