AVS Discussions
  Go Down

HDR is abhorrent

Re: HDR is abhorrent
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2021, 08:11:18 PM »
"Chris Stephens" nice to see you, been years hope you're doing well.

I have always had complaints about consumer content, they treat us like "Joe 6pack" thinking they don't have to go out of their way to deliver quality content thinking it looks good enough on a 50" display.
The best content for consumers is UHD HDR 4k blue ray yet its all over the map. Of the few hundred titles available there are only 4 or 5 discs that come close to reference the rest have gamma, color saturation, and hue issues and they are still applying NR and EE at times on some titles and scenes, let alone the watered-down HDR.
If there is a standard it is not enforced, each studio does as they please on a per titles basis. Unlike the DCP for commercial cinemas where the standard is strictly followed, you can watch 10 titles and never have to make any correction or adjustment to the projector. It almost makes no sense to purchase a high-end display when the content is crap. With that said, I am in sales, who wants to buy something high end:)

OMG!!!!!!! ALAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHATS UP !!!!! Wow we should talk on the phone...

THATS what i am talking about !!!....  But hey, these displays and processors look AWESOME on 4K SDR and even HD material ! So people have a DAMN GOOD REASON to buy high end video gear. Just kinda ignore HDR as its a huge can of worms and never looks right.. Well.. That S&M demo material is worth looking at as its the best video i have ever seen, and Alan you and I go way back..

WOWEE... Alan !.. I will PM my number. We should talk just to catch up. I have done some fun rooms..

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2021, 08:41:24 PM »
You are still lost on all of this. The Lumagen if set up correctly, is not cascading the processing (double tone mapping). The HDR signal is sent to the Lumagen and the Lumagen does the HDR processing. The projector sees it as SDR, so it does not apply any HDR tone mapping. After all the money you have spent on your projector, spend a little more and get the Lumagen and someone like Kris Deering to set it up properly. Then you will see what all of us are talking about. And to head off something that many people say: no the Lumagen is not converting HDR to SDR. It is only mapping the content to the projectors ability.

Hmmmm.... I did have a fun talk today with someone who knows what is going on. By cascading the processing I count processing as ANY device that applies math to the bits. IE bits out do not match bits in. If a processor does any math on a video signal some issues occur. Its why processors work at 12 bit, There is professional gear for color grading that works at 32 bits, so the impact of some of the math is not too harmful to the picture. However even at 12 bit processing some issues occur. There is no way around this. Ideally the frames come off the source untouched. Then a single really good set of math occurs that has all the elements to be done to it. Scaling, remapping, enhancement, etc. Then the output is delievered bit perfect to as close to the imager chip as possible without any extra math. Ideally the display would not have any controls for picture or gamma or color space. The processor does all the math in one set of processing. So the ideal would be to feed the imager chips directly.

So putting a VP in adds a whole set of math. This is not ideal in a perfect world. However a VP can correct issues and so there is a trade off. If the display has issues that are real world and/or the source material or device suck then a VP makes sense... AND lets face it, the consumer world has tons of crap out there. So a VP does make sense.. But..

The ideal solution is for a projector to have the good math. The math can then be tuned to exactly the right imager chip and a output from the math is designed for the exact device. Of course this depends on how well the math is done and for most display devices its not ideal.

I have not played with the JVC. I hear it has some pretty good math.. This new Sony tho, when setup correctly, can be stunningly good on good material. So does a VP makes sense ? Hmmmm... I would need to do a direct blind AB and physically bypass the VP. I would need to look at various sources, good and bad.. i think on some material, from a heavy modded Oppo I would not need the processor and it might look better without. On HDR, OK, EVERYTHING helps.

While Jim's Lumagen 5348 has a stunning list of amazing math, it also has linear voltage regulators and attention to analog noise in what can only be described as the most esoteric high end out there on the physical layer. I am CERTAIN it can improve HDR. That was never in doubt. Jim knows what he is doing and like me treats HDMI as a analog format that conveys digital data. As good as is it, I am not sure its ALWAYS best to have it inline with this projector. Jim would disagree with me for sure ! hehehe.. I gotta blind AB it before i believe it.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 11:04:23 PM by Chris_Stephens »

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2021, 08:43:31 PM »
One thing i have to say... I made a mistake.. I thought this was the AVS forum.. I NOW realize this is the AVScience discussion space.. i am sorry for slamming things in your sales spaces.. My mistake..

bmoney

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2021, 08:31:48 AM »
How is it not real world content ? Oh, you mean from real consumer devices from real sources like AppleTV. True... BUT it does show VERY clearly what HDR can look like when its all done correctly. So it IS worth looking at just to know what 100 Mbps HDR *should* look like.
Not really. The ATMOS sound demos are overcooked non real world atmos mixes. They do not represent what a movie would be like with atmos. Same applies here 

SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

bmoney

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2021, 08:34:04 AM »
One thing i have to say... I made a mistake.. I thought this was the AVS forum.. I NOW realize this is the AVScience discussion space.. i am sorry for slamming things in your sales spaces.. My mistake..
Huh?!? There is no pushing product here at ALL. 

you are just being VERY stubborn and not listening to those who know what they are talking about. Why ask the question if you don’t want to hear the answer (since you don’t agree with it)
head scratcher for sure 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSMike

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2021, 11:08:39 AM »
Hmmmm.... I did have a fun talk today with someone who knows what is going on. By cascading the processing I count processing as ANY device that applies math to the bits. IE bits out do not match bits in. If a processor does any math on a video signal some issues occur. Its why processors work at 12 bit, There is professional gear for color grading that works at 32 bits, so the impact of some of the math is not too harmful to the picture. However even at 12 bit processing some issues occur. There is no way around this. Ideally the frames come off the source untouched. Then a single really good set of math occurs that has all the elements to be done to it. Scaling, remapping, enhancement, etc. Then the output is delievered bit perfect to as close to the imager chip as possible without any extra math. Ideally the display would not have any controls for picture or gamma or color space. The processor does all the math in one set of processing. So the ideal would be to feed the imager chips directly.

So putting a VP in adds a whole set of math. This is not ideal in a perfect world. However a VP can correct issues and so there is a trade off. If the display has issues that are real world and/or the source material or device suck then a VP makes sense... AND lets face it, the consumer world has tons of crap out there. So a VP does make sense.. But..

The ideal solution is for a projector to have the good math. The math can then be tuned to exactly the right imager chip and a output from the math is designed for the exact device. Of course this depends on how well the math is done and for most display devices its not ideal.

I have not played with the JVC. I hear it has some pretty good math.. This new Sony tho, when setup correctly, can be stunningly good on good material. So does a VP makes sense ? Hmmmm... I would need to do a direct blind AB and physically bypass the VP. I would need to look at various sources, good and bad.. i think on some material, from a heavy modded Oppo I would not need the processor and it might look better without. On HDR, OK, EVERYTHING helps.

While Jim's Lumagen 5348 has a stunning list of amazing math, it also has linear voltage regulators and attention to analog noise in what can only be described as the most esoteric high end out there on the physical layer. I am CERTAIN it can improve HDR. That was never in doubt. Jim knows what he is doing and like me treats HDMI as a analog format that conveys digital data. As good as is it, I am not sure its ALWAYS best to have it inline with this projector. Jim would disagree with me for sure ! hehehe.. I gotta blind AB it before i believe it.
The JVC projectors do a good job with HDR. Not quite as good as a Lumagen. The reason to buy the top Lumagen is not for video performance, because video on the entry 4242 will be the same. You buy the top of the line Lumagen for audio improvements (reduced jitter) and for more inputs and outputs.

Your GTZ380 does not have dynamic tone mapping, but it can do a good job with HDR, but it requires some interaction on your part title by title. Add a Lumagen and you will get better HDR and not have to adjust title by title. As much as you have spent on the projector, Lumagen cost is not that big.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSMike

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2021, 11:14:18 AM »
You say you know Jim Peterson. Talk to him and see what he has to say about what a Lumagen will do for you with HDR. Has anybody contacted you personally to push a product? I doubt it. We just mentioned the products that will solve your problem, (complaint) regarding HDR. Heck one of the recommended products that would solve your problem is not even sold by us. 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal