AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Kudo's to Lumagen for adding seperate H/V sharpness.

alangouger

• My avatar, me in my bat cave theater.
Kudo's to Lumagen for adding seperate H/V sharpness.
« on: May 16, 2021, 03:43:25 PM »
Remembering the Teranex days ( yes I am that old ) when everything was DVD and the picture quality was nothing close to the high standard of our current UHD HDR disc's Teranex ( $40K back in its day ) offered both separate H/V sharpness that you could go + or -. This came in handy to clean up edge enhancement which was quit common on DVD's, notorious at times.
Lumagen is the first in todays generation of processors to add this feature. Some might question why the need, our UHD BDs are mostly high standard when it comes to picture quality. Well I can tell you if you set the V setting ( this effects the horizontal lines ) to negative 3 for example this knocks down what I call the hard digital glare and takes on a very film like image. This also results in a noticeably cleaner image as it also works as a high frequency filter. You will notice gamma transitions look more realistic. The results are very positive if used properly, even the best UHD disc will benefit from this feature.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Kudo's to Lumagen for adding seperate H/V sharpness.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 12:46:57 PM »
Remembering the Teranex days ( yes I am that old ) when everything was DVD and the picture quality was nothing close to the high standard of our current UHD HDR disc's Teranex ( $40K back in its day ) offered both separate H/V sharpness that you could go + or -. This came in handy to clean up edge enhancement which was quit common on DVD's, notorious at times.
Lumagen is the first in todays generation of processors to add this feature. Some might question why the need, our UHD BDs are mostly high standard when it comes to picture quality. Well I can tell you if you set the V setting ( this effects the horizontal lines ) to negative 3 for example this knocks down what I call the hard digital glare and takes on a very film like image. This also results in a noticeably cleaner image as it also works as a high frequency filter. You will notice gamma transitions look more realistic. The results are very positive if used properly, even the best UHD disc will benefit from this feature.
I need to download and install the new firmware tonight ! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

alangouger

• My avatar, me in my bat cave theater.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 01:00:06 PM »
This currently works for HD. There will be a revision for UHD.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 01:15:17 PM »
This currently works for HD. There will be a revision for UHD.
Are any setting changes needed after installing this, or are the default settings good to start with?
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal