Nomadland (Blu-ray) review

Nomadland (Blu-ray) review
« on: April 23, 2021, 02:07:00 PM »

Studio: Disney / Fox Searchlight Pictures
Release Date: April 27, 2021
Rating: R
Film: 2/5

Plot
Following the economic collapse of a town in rural Nevada, Fern (Frances McDormand) packs her van and explores an unconventional life in the vast landscape of the American West. Along the way, she forms unbreakable bonds with other nomads in this powerfully moving story of hope and resilience from director Chloé Zhao, based on the book by Jessica Bruder, also starring David Strathairn.

My Thoughts
Given the buzz around this film it was something that piqued my interest—boy was that a mistake. A little background first. If you follow the news all we hear today is negative this and negative that and I watch movies to escape the real world. Needless to say, this movie is a bit too real and frankly, too damn depressing. As if the Pandemic isn’t bad enough, I had to sit through nearly two hours of this and it only made things worse.

While I feel for many of the real-life people that are depicted in this film, I also am smart enough to know that many of them choose this lifestyle based upon prior choices (mostly poor choices) in their lives. For example, many don’t have two nickels to rub together but they were able to afford thousands of dollars’ worth of tattoos. It was their choice to make and, in my opinion,, it was a very poor choice of how to spend their money. Yes, sometimes life can throw you a curveball that you didn’t expect, but if you don’t save for a rainy day you’re bound to get wet when it starts raining.

For this reason, I didn’t connect with many of the characters. Fern was offered help throughout the movie, but her pride would get in the way of accepting it—again, her choice, but a bad one, and by the end of the film I could give a damn what happened to her. I found her to be somewhat rude and insensitive to others around her and when she was taken in by a friend and fed a nice meal, she didn’t even have the decency to thank them for it.

On the plus side the cinematography is excellent and probably the only reason to watch the film. Technically, the film is well done but the subject matter just didn’t appeal to me or my wife.

Video 4.5/5

Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• The Forgotten America
  • Telluride Q&A
  • Deleted Scenes

Conclusion
I’m really surprised that this film is nominated for Best Picture, but given the circumstances, there’s not much competition given the lack of theatrical releases in 2020. Would it receive such accolades in a “normal” year? Maybe, since it appeals to the Hollywood crowd much more than it did to me. Regardless, McDormand’s performance is Oscar-worthy, so it wouldn’t surprise me if she wins, but the film itself is much too depressing for my liking and I could barely get through it once, so keep that in mind if you’re tempted to purchase. I’d give it a rent first to see if its something you’d watch again.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-980
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)
Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Nomadland (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 04:16:28 PM »
Thanks Dave. More " woke Oscar bait ". I was reading about this film and the fact that a lot of folks that take advantage of Amazon's " CamperForce " program want to live that lifestyle, and may even be retired folks just picking up extra beer money. 

The only two movies up for any nominations that I've seen are Mulan ( loved it ) and Promising Young Woman ( liked it ). I have low motivation to see most of the others anytime soon. I think I'll watch Frances McDormand in 3 Billboards again instead - that I loved ! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 07:30:28 AM »
Greetings,

Thanks for the review Dave. As we discussed, I liked (didn't love) Nomadland. I saw Fern differently than you did. I saw her as someone that essentially lost all of the things that made her life important. Her job, her home and her husband. None of those things were lost because of something she did.

I saw her as someone that became jaded about investing her heart again and through this lifestyle found a means to cope. As for the other people surrounding her in the film and what their personal choices were and why I couldn't say.

I enjoyed the film's character study element, McDormand's performance and the director's handling of it all.

I do agree that it's far from uplifting... ;)

Regards,

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 10:50:22 AM »
Interesting that McDormand's character starts out by losing her job at the gypsum plant in Empire, Nevada. I've driven through Empire a bunch of times - every time I go to or from Burning Man. 

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 01:15:22 PM »
Greetings,

Thanks for the review Dave. As we discussed, I liked (didn't love) Nomadland. I saw Fern differently than you did. I saw her as someone that essentially lost all of the things that made her life important. Her job, her home and her husband. None of those things were lost because of something she did.

I saw her as someone that became jaded about investing her heart again and through this lifestyle found a means to cope. As for the other people surrounding her in the film and what their personal choices were and why I couldn't say.

I enjoyed the film's character study element, McDormand's performance and the director's handling of it all.

I do agree that it's far from uplifting... ;)

Regards,
Admit it Ralph...you LOVED the bucket scene ;)
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 03:17:33 PM »
Admit it Ralph...you LOVED the bucket scene ;)

Greetings,

Frankly, I didn't have any specific recollection of it UNTIL YOU brought it up. Clearly it was the film's highlight for you..???

Regards,

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 06:02:57 PM »
Greetings,

Frankly, I didn't have any specific recollection of it UNTIL YOU brought it up. Clearly it was the film's highlight for you..???

Regards,

Not a highlight...a lowlight :(
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 10:20:42 PM »
Not a highlight...a lowlight :(
Thanks - I had to go Google " bucket scene " while eating teriyaki chicken!

Nomadland: The Oscar front-runner’s flaws run deeper than its portrayal of Amazon. (slate.com)

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 01:59:39 AM »
Thanks - I had to go Google " bucket scene " while eating teriyaki chicken!

Nomadland: The Oscar front-runner’s flaws run deeper than its portrayal of Amazon. (slate.com)
Sorry about that Craig :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 10:51:35 AM »
Sorry about that Craig :)
I think I'll watch " Crash " again instead ! 8) Thanks David !

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal