AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Sony and JVC projectors

Barry

Sony and JVC projectors
« on: April 17, 2021, 02:37:10 PM »
      I remembered that Dylan posted about the Sony VPL-VW995ES projector about a year ago.  He compared it to the JVC DLA-RS3000.

Forgetting about the cost differences has anyone had experience with the Sony? How does it compare to the JVC or any other?

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Sony and JVC projectors
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 12:39:59 PM »
      I remembered that Dylan posted about the Sony VPL-VW995ES projector about a year ago.  He compared it to the JVC DLA-RS3000.

Forgetting about the cost differences has anyone had experience with the Sony? How does it compare to the JVC or any other?
While Sony's throw a good picture, they seem to have several issues at times like banding. Not sure on the very latest ones if that's been fixed. Black levels won't be quite as good. Dynamic HDR tone mapping won't be as good nor automatic like on the JVC's. And it's hard to forget cost - I think you get a lot more for your money with the JVC's vs Sony. 

Maybe Dylan will chime in here - I think he has spent more time with them lately. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 01:28:40 PM »
I guess it might depend on how long you plan on keeping your projector, but I am not convinced the Sony panel degradation issue is completely solved.  It might be better than before, but I saw someone at the other forum post about their 760 (laser-based) losing 80% of light at 5500 hours. :-X  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 01:30:20 PM by DavidHir »

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 04:09:41 PM »

Barry, keep your JVC! 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 10:24:31 PM »
The Light that Failed
This was not a random request. Simply my new setup of the McIntosh Mx170 feeding into the JVC 3000 did not connect.
My 4k Video inputs:
Verizon 4K TV: Showed no picture whatsoever.
Panasonic 4k Player: only produced a 1080p image.
Apple TV: Gave warning screen, no picture
Amazon Fire stick only gave a 1080p image.

Three things helped:
1. We changed the hdmi wires to very good ones.
2. The tech called McIntosh. The “handshake” has been a big problem.  They sent over a “beta” download they helped enormously, but did not cure the problem.  The handshake was erratic.

The dealer suggested switching projectors, saying he had no problem with the Sony. However, JVC did call him back (He is not a JVC dealer) and they sent him a “beta” download. We installed it.

When I switch inputs, the handshake takes a bit longer than usual, I would say 10 seconds. But so far everything seems okay. But when it was not working, I was looking for solutions.

On final thing:  I had an external TV Tuner attached. It gave a 1080i signal.  We seemed to have the most trouble when switching from that to a 4k.  Before we got the JVC download we removed that from the system. I wonder if it would work now, but I cannot put it in without the tech.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 10:44:44 PM »
The Light that Failed
This was not a random request. Simply my new setup of the McIntosh Mx170 feeding into the JVC 3000 did not connect.
My 4k Video inputs:
Verizon 4K TV: Showed no picture whatsoever.
Panasonic 4k Player: only produced a 1080p image.
Apple TV: Gave warning screen, no picture
Amazon Fire stick only gave a 1080p image.

Three things helped:
1. We changed the hdmi wires to very good ones.
2. The tech called McIntosh. The “handshake” has been a big problem.  They sent over a “beta” download they helped enormously, but did not cure the problem.  The handshake was erratic.

The dealer suggested switching projectors, saying he had no problem with the Sony. However, JVC did call him back (He is not a JVC dealer) and they sent him a “beta” download. We installed it.

When I switch inputs, the handshake takes a bit longer than usual, I would say 10 seconds. But so far everything seems okay. But when it was not working, I was looking for solutions.

On final thing:  I had an external TV Tuner attached. It gave a 1080i signal.  We seemed to have the most trouble when switching from that to a 4k.  Before we got the JVC download we removed that from the system. I wonder if it would work now, but I cannot put it in without the tech.

Barry,

How long is the cable run and what cable are you using? Most likely, that's the culprit. Also, just because it's expensive doesn't mean it will work. Let us know and I'm sure we'll find solutions for you :)
Worst case, you send me your RS3000 and I'll swap you for my RS2000 before you upgrade ;)
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 11:11:28 PM »
10 meters, but the one meter interconnects may have been a problem too

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 01:22:15 AM »
10 meters, but the one meter interconnects may have been a problem too
One meter cables can cause problems. HDMI was really developed with 2 meter cables minimum (according to Jim Peterson at Lumagen). Is your 10 meter cable powered or passive? That is most likely the culprit. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 12:23:00 PM »
Better replace those 3' HDMI interconnect cables with 6' ones.

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 10:08:47 AM »
Barry, if you're primarily watching movies and Hollywood style TV shows, keep your JVC. It's simply the better overall projector for this type of video content. 
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Barry

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 03:01:32 PM »
Barry, if you're primarily watching movies and Hollywood style TV shows, keep your JVC. It's simply the better overall projector for this type of video content.
      I cannot thank you guys enough. Your input led me to the actual problem and the solution. Yes, I am keeping the JVC 3000 and tehr really was chance I was giving it up.

You see, I had the JVC DLA-RS66U projector and loved it!! I then went to 4k 3000 and replaced my Screen which was the Vue Tech 108.

When getting the new projector, I called Stuarts to order the 135 which is very reflective.  The VP convinced me it was too reflective and I should get the 100.  Well, the 100 was better than, but not as reflective as the Vue Tech.  So some movies, including Blackhawk Down were too dark.  And 3D movies, which needs a “brightness” boost” were disappointing.

In other words, the 100 was not the right screen for the 3000 and what I used it for.

So I contacted Stuarts and showed them the emails where I wanted the 130 and they suggested the 100. They were absolutely professional and will help me upgrade to the more appropriate screen, 

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 04:08:00 PM »
      I cannot thank you guys enough. Your input led me to the actual problem and the solution. Yes, I am keeping the JVC 3000 and tehr really was chance I was giving it up.

You see, I had the JVC DLA-RS66U projector and loved it!! I then went to 4k 3000 and replaced my Screen which was the Vue Tech 108.

When getting the new projector, I called Stuarts to order the 135 which is very reflective.  The VP convinced me it was too reflective and I should get the 100.  Well, the 100 was better than, but not as reflective as the Vue Tech.  So some movies, including Blackhawk Down were too dark.  And 3D movies, which needs a “brightness” boost” were disappointing.

In other words, the 100 was not the right screen for the 3000 and what I used it for.

So I contacted Stuarts and showed them the emails where I wanted the 130 and they suggested the 100. They were absolutely professional and will help me upgrade to the more appropriate screen,
I much prefer the StudioTek 130 over the 100 myself. The pop and punch will be back once you switch. 

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 07:55:59 AM »
How is changing the screen going to fix the Mc/projector/hdmi communication problem?

Did you think about bumping the iris up 1 notch?

Isn't the 100 a standard by which all screens are compared to?

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 11:46:56 AM »
How is changing the screen going to fix the Mc/projector/hdmi communication problem?

Not in my theater. Besides, he can get just the replacement material and snap it in, and keep the ST100 as a backup in case he gets a way brighter projector in the future. 

Barry

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 04:18:00 PM »

Rob the HDMI was a separate problem that was resolved with new wiring and downloads into the JVC and the McIntosh.  After all was set up I saw I needed a brighter screen.  I originally asked for the 130 but Stuart's VP convinced me to get the 100. He was wrong, but well intentioned.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal