AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Anyone with POC at Barco Projection

Anyone with POC at Barco Projection
« on: February 19, 2021, 03:10:11 PM »
All,

This is my first official post on the forum.   I called it quits on AVSForum after over a decade of membership because of to much drama in every post.   I came across this new version of AVS sponsored by the Old Guard and thought I would give a try.

I currently own a Barco Sim 10 projector and I can tell you getting information out of Barco is almost impossible so I'm hope possibly someone on the forum might know someone in the Barco ranks I can pose a question to concerning video input cards for my Sim 10.

I've attached a few picture of my Sim 10's main system board and the DVI Input board.   As the picture show my Sim 10 projector has four PCI-E slot for the video input cards.  Right now I have two dual port DVI-D video input cards but I would like to purchase two more DVI-D card.    Since this is considered legacy gear I'm have trouble connecting with Barco in order to get any hard core information on the video input cards.

The Sim 10 is a 4096 x 2400 projector which is fed by my video processor which feeds it 4 signal channels which are then combined into a 4096 x 2400 picture.   

I any input would be appreciated or if you just want to say hello, that's also cool 8).

Semper Fi

Andre
Home of the Barco Sim 10 and loving it

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Anyone with POC at Barco Projection
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 04:18:42 PM »
Welcome. Unfortunately I know nothing about that projector. Maybe Alan will chime in. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 06:30:56 PM »
Welcome. Unfortunately I know nothing about that projector. Maybe Alan will chime in.
AVSCraig,

Good to see you over here.   Most people will not be familiar with the Barco Sim 10, it is a true simulation 220volt beast.   I had to build a special cabinet within my HT because I didn't have a separate room to install it in unless I was willing to give up my master bathroom which is behind the wall of my HT.   Wife would not sign off on that, she's not dedicated to the HT cause like me :-\s

This is a power house projector which puts out a 4096x2400 picture and it's something to see.   I searched high and low to find this one and took some serious convincing to get Esterline to sell me one.   When I purchased the projector it was more of an curiosity then a need since at the time at had a Meridian 810 4096x2400 projector.   I sold the 810 to Moome over in Taiwan.   You may remember Moome from Curt Palmer forum, he developed the HDMI module for some of the old CRT projector.

Anyway, I hope Alan might chime in since he knows everyone.   I want to find two more DVI Video input cards for my SIM 10 as a part of some new experimenting I'm doing.   I can access my projector firmware via a program called "Putty" which allow me to see the file structure and there are Linux based video drivers.    I have the service manual for the Sim 10 but it's only cover the basics.   Esterline will not release to me the good stuff about programming this projector nor will the engineer discuss what other capability this projector is capable of but the menu system gives you allot.

Andre 

alangouger

• My avatar, me in my bat cave theater.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 08:48:35 PM »
Hello Andre, welcome to the forum. So you have a Barco SIM, WOW. This projector has some pretty crazy specs. It is Lcos and rated at 10 million to one.
So I have to ask, how is the picture?
Does it stand up to its specs?

All my contacts are with the cinema division but they should be able to point you in the rt direction. Let me do a little research and I will get back to you in PM.

Do you need the additional cards to allow for 1:1 4K?

So you had a Meridian projector. If I remember that came with a special high-end processor that back in its day I tried to source one for myself with no luck. How did you like it? I remember Moome as well. Reading your post brings back memories of the good ole days.

Alan
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 08:52:08 PM by alangouger »

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 10:09:11 PM »
Hello Andre, welcome to the forum. So you have a Barco SIM, WOW. This projector has some pretty crazy specs. It is Lcos and rated at 10 million to one.
So I have to ask, how is the picture?
Does it stand up to its specs?

All my contacts are with the cinema division but they should be able to point you in the rt direction. Let me do a little research and I will get back to you in PM.

Do you need the additional cards to allow for 1:1 4K?

So you had a Meridian projector. If I remember that came with a special high-end processor that back in its day I tried to source one for myself with no luck. How did you like it? I remember Moome as well. Reading your post brings back memories of the good ole days.

Alan

The Sim 10 is the best projector I've ever owned but it's not for the faint of heart.  It weights in a 150 lbs, it's loud, requires 220 volts, and the replacement lamps cost is out of this world but the picture it can put on a screen take you to the next level of video viewing.  The 10 million megapixels is only matched by a few other projector like the JVC SH7 series and the Meridian 810 which pretty much has the same picture as the Sim 10.   The Sim 10 offers allot more controls over the picture and has some pretty cool features.  I'm still using the default setting it arrived with because the picture has punch, depth, and keeps me amazed at how good the picture look.

I had the Meridian 810 video processor which went with the projector to Moome.  Moome and I were in heavy conversation about these 10 Megapixel projectors.  I hooked him up with an auction house in Japan that had two JVC SH7NL projectors for pretty much pennies because neither had the lens.  Plus I did allot of research on the JVC SH7NL and pretty much determined with the right parts you could convert it to a 8K projector with pixel shifting.  He went ahead and purchased one but could never find a lens so I gave him a good deal on my 810 so he could have the video processor and lens to support either projector.  The last time we spoke, I think he plans to eventually work on an HDMI board for his JCV(s).

Alan that would be great if you could put me in touch with someone in the Barco company who could at least determine if there are any of the Sim 10 DVI video input cards in the system.  I would love to get my hands on some more detailed documentation beyond the Owner Manual because there is nothing on the internet concerning the Sim 10 and I know this projector can do so much more.  Esterline the company which sold me the Sim 10 sent me a PowerPoint training presentation which showed you could FTP into the Sim 10 to gain access to it various file folders but they would not give me the Username/Password to gain access.  I tried to FTP into the projector but get "Access Denied".  Esterline supports the Sim 10 projector still in use for military flight simulators and they are very hush hush about the Sim 10.  My sales person tried his hardest to get me some of the detail documents related to the Sim 10 from his engineering department but they would not budge.

Anyway, that enough about what I've been up to, any help you can provide will be much appreciated.

Semper FI

Andre  

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 10:18:28 PM »
This is the Video Processor spec sheet which I use to drive my Sim 10.  The downside of this video processor is that it's only 10 bit and the Sim 10 can handle up to 16 Bits.

I also attached the Sim 10 spec sheet

Andre

alangouger

• My avatar, me in my bat cave theater.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 12:59:41 AM »
If your processor is 10 bit, no bottleneck that should be good enough to not cause any banding. Not sure you would notice a difference if it were 12 bit unless your source originated in 12bit.

Here is a company in Fl selling a SIM 10, see below. Give them a call they may have the service manual or be able to help with the DVI boards. Their service department is pretty technical they might be able to help. I logged into the Barco portal but I cannot find much on the SIM 10 but the SIM 7 series manual is available. I will reach out first of the week to a few contacts.

Magna-Tech Electronic Co., Inc.
329 Palermo Ave. 1st Floor
Coral Gables, FL 33134-6601 USA
Phone: (305) 573-7339

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 12:17:44 AM »
Alan,

Thanks for the information, I'll reach out to them on Monday.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal