Greenland (Blu-ray) review

Greenland (Blu-ray) review
« on: February 06, 2021, 11:30:03 AM »

Studio: Universal
Release Date: February 9, 2021
Rating: PG-13
Film: 4/5

Plot
A family fights for survival as a planet-killing comet races to Earth. John Garrity (Gerrard Butler), his estranged wife Allison (Morena Baccarin), and young son Nathan make a perilous journey to their only hope for sanctuary. Amid terrifying news accounts of cities around the world being leveled by the comet’s fragments, the Garrity’s experience the best and worst in humanity while they battle the increasing panic and lawlessness surround them. As the countdown to global apocalypse approaches zero, their incredible trek culminates in a desperate and last-minute flight to a possible safe haven.

My Thoughts
I’m always up for a good disaster film and while I had never heard of this until it showed up on my doorstep, I generally enjoy Butler’s work and find Baccarin quite easy on the eyes. The first act is phenomenal in setting the mood for the film. The tension continues to ratchet up the closer the comet gets to the Earth and when disaster finally strikes, you’re in the moment with the protagonists and can feel the stress of the situation.

Like most disaster films, the further this goes along you wonder what else could go wrong. Yes, there’s some piss-poor decision making along the way, but you can’t help but root for the family to prevail in their perilous journey.

The A/V quality is excellent, especially the audio track. Whenever a comet hits the planet, you can feel its impact and aftershock. The film was shot digitally and looks pristine in 1080p, but I would have loved to have seen a 4K version of the film.

Video 4/5

Audio 5/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• Deleted Scenes
  • Humanity
  • Feature Commentary
  • Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Code

Conclusion
As bad as things have been with Covid-19, I guess this film gives you perspective that it could be a lot worse. As disaster films go, this one is pretty damn enjoyable. Sure, it’s far-fetched but it’s a great way to spend an evening on the couch. Recommended.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)

M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)
 Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Greenland (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 11:35:08 AM »
I think I'll wait and see if they do release a 4K version ( I'm looking at you Parasite ) !
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

bmoney

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 11:59:00 AM »
There’s a German 4K release 

I really enjoyed this. Some gut wrenching scenes for sure. Big fan
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

claw

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 03:32:43 PM »
The Nordic UHD disc is region B locked, even though the UHD spec does not specify region locking.
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 03:44:19 PM »
Looks like a good bet for a Redbox rental on the 9th. Thanks!
Was this a direct to video and streaming release or did it appear in theaters first?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 03:46:09 PM by Clark Burk »

claw

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 04:15:08 PM »
Looks like a good bet for a Redbox rental on the 9th. Thanks!
Was this a direct to video and streaming release or did it appear in theaters first?
Released in theaters internationally.  No US theater release, instead made available for streaming VOD rental at $19.99.

You can now purchase a 4K streaming version from Amazon Prime Video, iTunes, VUDU, etc., for the same $19.99.

I added the Blu-Ray disc to my 3D-Bluray Rental queue as one of my ten rentals per month subscription. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 04:35:58 PM by claw »
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 10:02:19 AM »
That's good to know. If there's a 4K streaming version available it's likely to be available in a 4K UHD disc once the studios milk the money out of the streaming.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 04:13:47 PM »
Greetings,

I liked this one too. You and Michelle rated it a half star higher than me but, the overall consensus is the same. Nice review!

Regards,

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 04:14:48 PM »
Greetings,

I liked this one too. You and Michelle rated it a half star higher than me but, the overall consensus is the same. Nice review!

Regards,
Michelle has good taste :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 11:49:19 PM »
I don't much care for disaster movies, but with the limited amount of new content, this one made it to the top of our rental list.

Well, we were pleasantly surprised.  The script was actually pretty good, and there were some nice moments that made you consider the overall moral implications for some of the decisions that were made.  Not enough to bog down the story, but there was actually some stuff to think about.

The soundtrack was spectacular.  Would have been nice to have gotten a DTS-X or Atmos version, but the DTS Neural setting did a pretty good job of adding some additional sounds to the top speakers.  The bass hits hard, with some really nice chest-slam sections.

Overall, it was a fun rental, and I'll be buying it sometime in the future.
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 12:55:21 AM »
I don't much care for disaster movies, but with the limited amount of new content, this one made it to the top of our rental list.

Well, we were pleasantly surprised.  The script was actually pretty good, and there were some nice moments that made you consider the overall moral implications for some of the decisions that were made.  Not enough to bog down the story, but there was actually some stuff to think about.

The soundtrack was spectacular.  Would have been nice to have gotten a DTS-X or Atmos version, but the DTS Neural setting did a pretty good job of adding some additional sounds to the top speakers.  The bass hits hard, with some really nice chest-slam sections.

Overall, it was a fun rental, and I'll be buying it sometime in the future.
Glad you enjoyed it. I felt the same way...pleasantly surprised. I'm hoping for a 4K release at some point in order to hopefully get a DTS:X or Atmos track more than anything...I'd love to hear some of the impact sequences with the discrete overhead effects :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal