Let Him Go (Blu-ray) review

Let Him Go (Blu-ray) review
« on: February 02, 2021, 02:30:53 PM »

Studio: Universal
Release Date: February 2, 2021
Rating: R
Film: 3.5/5

Plot
After their life is set off course following the tragic loss of their son, retired sheriff George Blackledge (Costner) and his wife Margaret (Lane) leave their Montana ranch on a mission through the North Dakota desert to rescue their young grandson from a dangerous family living off the grid. Navigating tragedy and tumult, the couple soon discover that the Weboy family, a deep-rooted local clan led by ruthless matriarch Blanche (Academy Award® nominee Lesley Manville; Phantom Thread, Ordinary Love)  has no intention of letting the child go, forcing George and Margaret to ask how far they will go to fight for their family.

My Thoughts
New releases are quite rare these days, so beggars can’t be choosers when a solicitation comes into your email box. While I hadn’t heard of the film before, Kevin Costner and Diane Lane generally deliver the goods and I thought I’d give it a spin.

Out of the gate, the film sets itself up to be a slow burn and you can feel the tension start to build from the opening scene until things come to a head right before the last act. Margaret is obsessed with finding their grandson at all costs but George knows the family they are dealing with is extremely dangerous or things could get ugly fast—and they do!

Video 4/5

Audio 4/5 (Dolby TrueHD 5.1)

Special Features:

• The Blackledges: Kevin Costner & Diane Lane
  • The Making of Let Him Go
  • Lighting the Way: Thomas Bezucha
  • Blu-ray + Digital Code

Conclusion
I found the film to be slightly better than average thriller, but like most films in the genre, the protagonist—or in this case protagonists—make some decisions that are certainly head scratching. The film is not very uplifting and at times can be downright depressing, but the ending is very much rooted in a semblance of reality, which gives it some authenticity. Recommended.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed ChannelsATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)
 Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: Let Him Go (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 05:00:48 PM »
Will have to check it out :)
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 04:12:37 PM »
Greetings,

It was 4/5 for me Dave. I enjoyed its vibe from start to finish. Kevin Costner is still the man..

Regards,

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 11:59:49 PM »
Movie choices are getting slim right now, so I added this to our queue a couple of weeks ago, and it appeared in our mailbox today.

This is a surprisingly good film that has largely flown under the radar.  Not sure why it didn't get more attention at the time it came out, but it's a solid character study built around a low-level thriller that examines love, family, attachment, and really makes the viewer think about how and what to fight for.  The script takes a number of unexpected turns, while still producing an overall sense of dread.

The acting is excellent all around, with a supporting cast that give Diane Lane and Kevin Costner a run for their money, especially Jeffery Donovan who gives an amazing performance in a role that's ripe for the taking.  There're also some non-verbal communication moments that really connect between the audience and the characters, adding a richness to the story.  For those complaining that they don't make movies starring older actors (and especially actresses) anymore, this is a welcome exception to the rule.

Set design and props add a lot to the feel of the movie, taking viewers back to a time long past.  There are things to notice in just about every frame.  I would imagine it would reveal more with subsequent viewings.  While the majesty of the landscape isn't really emphasized, the imagery matches the bleak feeling of the story.

If there's any weakness, it might be the soundtrack.  The start of the movie almost sounds like it could have been lifted off of a sentimental 1990s TV movie, but it improves throughout the film, with the ending more closely matching the tone of the movie.

A welcome respite from the tentpole movies of today, this is a recommended viewing for anyone looking for a slower, but deeper dramatic thriller with an outstanding cast.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal