Top Gun (UHD Blu-ray Steelbook) review

Top Gun (UHD Blu-ray Steelbook) review
« on: November 23, 2020, 11:37:23 PM »

Studio: Paramount       
 Release Date: December 1, 2020
Rating:  PG-13
Film:  4.5/5

Plot
 Tom Cruise stars as Lt. Peter Mitchell, call sign "Maverick," a young hot-shot pilot picked to attend the prestigious "Top Gun" flight school to hone his air-to-air combat skills. Also appearing are Val Kilmer as "Iceman," Anthony Edwards as Maverick's RIO (radar intercept officer) "Goose," and Tim Robbins as "Merlin." Rounding out the cast is Kelly McGillis as Charlotte "Charlie" Blackwood, a civilian instructor who is an expert on Russian aviation.

My Thoughts
 Top Gun is one of my favorite movies from the 1980s, with its likable characters, outstanding action, and killer soundtrack. That doesn't mean it’s a deep, philosophical masterpiece—it isn't. It's a bunch of corny dialog interspersed with intense action involving fighter jets flying at the speed of sound. In addition, the relatively unknown cast (at that time) includes some actors who would go on to distinguished Hollywood careers. Tom Cruise was already a star by this point, but Top Gun made him a superstar at the tender age of 24.

The last few home video releases of this film have gotten better each time—except for the 3D version—what where they thinking? Regardless, the Blu-ray I reviewed over 10 years ago has been the gold standard to live up to and fortunately, the UHD is near perfect and the studio has done a commendable job with the HDR. Bright scenes really highlight the added headroom as sunlight nearly burns out your retinas and the lowlight scenes have added depth and dimension.

The Atmos track is quite good at making a 1980’s soundtrack sound like it was mixed last week. I’ve always loved the opening sequence to the film, and this is definitely the best its ever sounded. The airplane scenes bustle with activity with overhead and panning effects that place you right in the middle of the action.

Video 9.75/10 

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
  • Commentary by producer Jerry Bruckheimer, director Tony Scott, co-screenwriter Jack Epps, Jr., and naval experts
  • The Legacy of Top Gun (*New)
  • On Your Six – Thirty Years of Top Gun: Five-Part Production Feature (*New)
  • Danger Zone: The Making of Top Gun
  • Multi-Angle Storyboards with Optional Commentary by director Tony Scott
  • Best of the Best: Inside the Real Top Gun
  • Music Videos
  • Original Theatrical Promotional Material
  • Blu-ray and Digital Copy

If you’ve seen the movie before, definitely watch the Honest Trailer. It’s LOL funny:

Conclusion
 This may be the record turnaround for a second release of a 4K disc. The film was released back in May and just six and a half months later is a rerelease with steelbook packaging—which is quite spiffy. I’ve seen this film countless times over the years and whenever I’m channel surfing and run across the movie, I always find myself watching it for a few minutes to stroll down memory lane. If you’re into steelbooks then you’ll want to add this to your collection but if you already have the film on 4K, that’s the only upgrade that’s headed your way—everything else is the same. Regardless, this is an easy one to recommend for fans.       

Reference Review System:

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: Top Gun (UHD Blu-ray Steelbook) review
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 07:14:43 AM »
I have the need. The need for speed!

SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Re: Top Gun (UHD Blu-ray Steelbook) review
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 02:18:10 PM »
I'll never forget seeing this movie in theater back in 1986. The movie was so good, my father slept through the whole film!
Looking forward to getting my 4K copy soon.

Thanks Mr Vaughn

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal